“A lovely break”

GreenLeadersGold level
UK
“A lovely break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Having decided to look for something different in Bristol instead of the typical "chain" hotels, we stumbled across this hotel. The package we went for was Bubbles and Berries and to be honest from arrival we weren't disappointed. The reception team were very friendly and welcoming whilst very professional. The room was beautiful overlooking the water and the "lively" end of the docks and had all the amenities you would expect including a coffee maker. We had dinner in the restaurant which was accompanied by a pianist which was very soothing and relaxing the menu was both varied but catered for all tastes and whilst quality was undeniable, unfortunately, the food that was served was on the cold side. To give the hotel credit when I raised it the following day as a concern and not a complaint I received an email recognising this.

To surmise I would definitely recommend this for a couple looking for something different but not wholly overpriced

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Leehill1,

Thank you for reviewing the Bristol Hotel,

We were delighted to read you enjoyed your stay after deciding to go with something "different " for the weekend.

We like to think we can give any large chain a run for their money and it is great that you felt the same!!

we hope to see you again soon,

The Bristol Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (882)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

My family attended a black tie dinner at the Bristol Hotel in late April and stayed over until the following morning so had a good opportunity to experience most of what the hotel had to offer.
We had rooms to the front and back of the hotel which were of the fifth floor.
Overnight car parking really couldn't be any better and dropping bags off at the front was a breeze since the metered bays were surprisingly quiet but beware of the council parking cameras which according to local notices monitor kerbside parking remotely - I wouldn't want to chance staying longer than a few minutes!
Checking-in was swift and the staff were friendly and helpful.
While the hotel is 1970's (?) vintage, clearly it has been the subject of lots of updating and this has been done really creatively to create a stylish and very attractive interior, and while the frontage is on one of the main thoroughfares into the city, the back of the hotel is just a few yards from the harbour's edge - not quite sure why planners and architects in this period turned their backs on the waterfront in so many English cities!
Anyway the flip side of this is that the restaurant overlooks the harbour and it's a lovely place to eat and chill out.
The function room worked well, the food was good and service was of the standard I would expect at a four star hotel.
Our hotel rooms were immaculately clean and extremely well fitted out with some of the best beds I have ever slept in.
Couldn't quite fathom the television but that's more down to me I am sure!
Some lovely touches - top quality lotions and potions in the bathrooms, nice coffee makers which were a great change from the usual sachets of freeze dried sawdust you often get in hotels, quality TV screens etc.
Breakfast was fine and the table service good.
Would I stay again? Definitely - while this type of hotel will always need to meet the needs of the business traveller and that means a degree of standardisation that is expected of a genuine 4 star hotel, it stands out as trying just that bit harder to be different for the leisure traveller and that's what does it for me.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear JohnDJ,

Thank you for the comprehensive review of the hotel,

It is great to see you had a great stay with us and even more pleasing that your function went well.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Absolutely fantastic hotel, friendly staff and clean rooms - couldnt fault it at all, quiet in the rooms and the restaurant on saturday night had a fantastic ambience with the pionist and saxophonist. Reception and bar staff extremely polite and oh yes restaurant staff as well, defo recommend and would love to go back but waiting for secret escapes to do another special offer!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Andrea C,

Thank you for reviewing the Bristol Hotel.

We are glad you had a great weekend break and enjoyed our clean rooms and music in the lounge Saturday evening. We have music in the lounge every weekend.

We hope you visit us again soon,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Brisol has everything you want and need for a wonderful stay in Bristol.
Well located, top restaurants within a 5/10 min walk, excellent breakfast, attentive staff, oh, and free parking!
We booked last minute for a fri night stay and felt we got great value for money. Loved our water facing room; the toiletries were top class and nice to have a nespresso maker in the room. It's these lite extras that made this stand apart from your usual city hotel.

Whilst we didn't eat in the restaurant, we came bak late for drinks in the hotel bar. The drinks were fairly priced (unusual for this class if hotel) and we also indulged in a delicious white choc& berry creme brûlée. Highly recommended.

We will certainly be staying here without hesitation next time we're in Bristol. Hopefuly quite soon!

Room Tip: Water front rooms are well glazed and no noise heard from Friday night revellers. Lovely to wake up...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EvetheLondoner,

it was pleasing to read you had "a super stay in Bristol"!!

We love the city so great to see you got to visit all it has to offer, We are also glad to see you availed of our complimentary car parking.

We hope to see you again soon,

Salcombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wonderful central position, walk to all the sites, lots of good restaurants within about 5 - 10 minute walk. And free car parking in adjacent multi storey all week-end.Staff friendly and efficient. Bedroom well equipped, comfortable,bed linen sparking clean super, bathroom rather small but well fitted. Sound insulation appalling, unless you enjoy listening to next door on the 'phone. and a cacophony of doors closing all night. Take ear plugs !

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room, on the central courtyard so no room, but no traffic noise either.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tim C,

Although largely positive, I was sorry to read about the noise issues you encountered. As you highlighted in your tips, our inside well rooms are certainly quieter than the waterfront rooms, however you may note other reviewers have mentioned the poor view so certainly ones preference is key.

We were delighted to see you found our rooms clean and to your taste,

Wigan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel before & booked for a birthday weekend. Hotel is very nice in main areas but some of the areas are looking a little tired. Breakfast is great but don't sit at the back of the restaurant or you will get forgotten. And avoid the sweet breads on the menu (yuk).

• Stayed April 2013
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Jani553,

Thank you for your review and we are pleased you chooses us to stay with over your birthday weekend.

We welcome your feedback, I would appreciate it if you took the time to drop me a note on my mail address below to give me an idea on areas of the hotel you felt looked "tired".

As a point of note we replaced 55 bedroom carpets towards the end of 2012, with a further 87 to be done before June, we are always looking to keep the place looking at it's peak so would appreciate the feedback,

mark_payne@doylecollection.com
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I'm going to say the negatives first...

The bedroom was too big(I know that sounds strange).. The tv was really far away so to be able to hear it the volume had to be up high. Poor guests next door. Having the bedroom so large it meant the bathroom was tiny.. Without over exaggerating too much, I could do my business whilst sat on the loo/whilst brushing my teeth at the sink/ whilst having a shower all at the same time. That's how small and cramped the bathroom was.
It felt weird walking into a hotel room and not finding a mini bar/fridge trying to sell me over priced confectionary. So I decided to fill up the bathroom sink and use that to keep my champagne/beers cold. I was given a room that was adjoined to another room via wooden doors. Unfortunately on the last night of my stay there was a couple in the other room and you could hear them talking very clearly.
The lift... Where do I start, it was so small and always took me to the wrong floors.. At one point I wanted to go to the 3rd floor from reception and it took me to the 4th floor and then back down again to the correct floor.

But apart from that.. The breakfast was amazing with so much to choose from and was always re filled quickly. But the view from the breakfast room definitely compensated for the lack of a view in my hotel room. It was absolutely stunning eating breakfast looking out over Harbour-side. The staff were friendly and the hotel was clean and modern with super fast broadband.

My stay overall was good but my partner decided she preferred one of the other hotels that we had previously stayed in. As she likes to have a bath and watch tv..

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Seafeast,

Thank you for the comprehensive review.

I believe you are my first complaint with a room being too big!! but on a serious note I would appreciate it if you could feedback to me your room number, I will happily take a look at the room and review if we need to move the TV forward etc, quite possibly it may be an easy solution.
We don’t provide mini Bars in rooms, we made a decision to remove them a few years back however our room service team will bring drinks to the room 24 hours a day (or even ice) at no additional cost.
Also I am unsure of the issue with the lift, generally it does what it is told but will certainly keep an eye out for further comments in case it is a larger issue.

I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast and found the hotel comfortable,

I will highlight we have smaller rooms where watching the TV is very easy and although we do get comments on small bathrooms, majority of them are very well sized, when booking it might be worth mentioning your preferences and out ream will try to allocate same,

General manger