“Great Hotel - and the staff take feedback seriously”
Review of The Bristol

The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I now regularly stay at this hotel when I am in Bristol and it's always a comfortable, pleasant stay. Having tried a number of hotels in the city, the Bristol comes first for me in terms of value (including free overnight parking), comfort and quality. The rooms are spacious and well-equipped. The staff are always welcoming and friendly. And this is a hotel which takes feedback seriously. I was sent a survey after a previous stay and made some comments about the menu in the restaurant - there was nothing bad about it, it just didn't feel overly homely. The manager replied saying that they would launch a new menu and would take my comments into consideration - they did just that and the new menu is excellent. If you want straightforward, homely food with an upmarket edge then that's exactly what you'll get; and if you want something a little more exclusive you can have that too.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AP077
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear Londonroamer23,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review,

It is pleasing to hear positive feedback on how we respond to feedback, as ultimately, guest comments and interaction is what we use to continuously stay ahead of our competition.

Clearly we can not implement every thing our guests tell us but whenever possible we do try to make positive change.

Hopefully we will see you back at the Bristol hotel in the near future,

sincerely

Mark Payne
General manager
mark_payne@doylecollection.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,869)

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The location of The Bristol is outstanding. Very convenient for the cultural centre of Bristol and right on the water-front in the floating harbour.

From the exterior, not a particularly pre-possessing property but the hotel makes a great effort on the inside to be extremely comfortable, well furnished,and excellently kept up. The restaurant has a lovely view and ambience overlooking the historic harbour.

All staff in the hotel whether in reception or the restaurant or ancillary staff were at all times helpful, polite and efficient. This really does make a big difference when there are a good number of hotels to chose from in Bristol in the similar 4star category.

The room was newly refurbished and had a great view over-looking the harbour. No street noise at all apart from a little and distant Saturday night revelry which was barely noticeable from the restaurants on the other side of the canal in the cultural/entertainment area. Very comfortable bed , duvets and high quality sheets. Big flat screen TV, tea/coffee making facilities in room. Bathroom smart and functional but not enormous.

Very generous breakfast buffet.

The location was outstanding. The hotel had a car park adjacent which offered free parking at the week-end to hotel guests. All the main sites are very near-by on foot. The Arnolfini 3mins. M-Shed five mins, dock-side restaurant area two mins, SS Great Britain 12 mins, Christmas steps 5 mins and beginning of Park Street two mins.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the water.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights in December and although it was cold in the room which was on a corner we were given a heater by the helpful staff. The room was quite nice and clean though on the small side. It was sometimes noisy at night as revelers passed by in the street below.
The location was good for going out and shopping.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel was chosen for me and I must admit that the website makes it look very nice.
The location was perfect to attend meetings nearby, free parking connected to the hotel is excellent.
Check in and first impressions of the reception were great. Then I got to my room, it was very clean, nicely decorated and well appointed - just small! As I was on my own it wasn't a problem but I wouldn't have wanted to share it. The bed was very comfortable and unlike other reviewers, I had no problem with noises throughout the night.The bathroom was just the same, well decorated with good lighting but compact.
Drinks in the bar aren't too badly priced for a city centre hotel and breakfast offered plenty of choice all well cooked and very tasty.
Would I stay again - yes definitely! But I would request a bigger room next time

Room Tip: My room had no view, try to get one that has
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I thought I'd got a real bargain when I booked The Bristol Hotel. First impressions were extremely good. The communal areas of the hotel were beautifully decorated and immaculately clean, The welcome from the reception staff was positve and all was going well.....

Unfortunately, on reaching my room I worked out my 'bargain' actually meant I'd booked the smallest room in the hotel! It was still very clean and nicely furnished with a comfy bed so it certainly wasn't a disaster it just felt cramped. The complimentary toiletries and free wifi were also greatly appreciated.

Breakfast the next morning was really good though. Lovely selection and the cooked items were all fresh and piping hot.

A larger room for the price that I paid and this would have got full marks!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here on business in December 2012.

Lovely hotel right off Queen Square, my room had views over the canal/river
and was huge.

Check in was a breeze and complimentary toiletaries were amazing:-)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just back from a 2 night break at the Bristol and as on our previous stays there we had a fantastic time. The staff are welcoming and friendly and Gessica at Reception was delightful. We had a room on the 6th floor overlooking the waterfront which had a great view and was quiet despite staying over a weekend when there was great activity at the bars and restaurants across the way. The room was large and stylish and included both a coffee machine and tea making facilities, the bathroom was spotless with Temple Spa toiletries, bathrobes and slippers. Parking in the adjacent car park is complementary which is an added bonus. This is definitely our hotel of choice in Bristol and we will return

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple