“Average stay - not particularly baby friendly”
Review of The Bristol

The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We booked just the one night's accommodation, direct through the hotel. The best thing about this hotel is definitely the free car parking over the weekend which was brilliant.

We requested a cot in the room as we were travelling with our 4 month old baby, and this was ready in the room when we arrived. Unfortunately the room was so tiny that with the travel cot you could barely walk around the bed, and just getting the pram into the room was a real struggle. We also discovered on moving the travel cot that it had been strategically placed to cover a large stain the carpet. When going down for breakfast as well we had to try and navigate several flights of stairs by carrying the pram. We then discovered that to avoid the stairs you had to leave the hotel, walk round the block and enter the restaurant from the waterfront side.

Breakfast was really nice, good coffee and great selection, especially the continental spread.

And lastly the noise from the bars on the waterfront is definitely audible until the early hours..not the hotel's fault but slightly annoying, especially with a baby to get to sleep.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear TravellingRoo

Than you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you had an overall good stay with us however I'm also disappointed to hear about your comments on the room and the accessibility to our restaurant.

Being myself a dad of a 6 month old baby, I do understand your feedback as it is not always easy to travel with young child and your stay should have been hassle free. I would like to assure you that we welcome your feedback and as we are a learning organisation we appreciate all feedback and find it very valuable in moving forward and improving the service that we provide to our guests. In order to avoid a repeat of that, I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly by email Raphael_herzog@doylecollection.com in order for me to gather more details from you (name, room number...) so that I can look into it and make amend.

At The Bristol Hotel, we take great pride in the individual, friendly and courteous service that we provide to all our guests, ensuring that their comfort and care are at the forefront of what we do.

Once again I would like to apologise on behalf of the hotel and thank you for making us aware of the issues that you experienced. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in The Bristol Hotel.

I look forward to seeing you back with us in the near future.

Kind regards,

Raphael Herzog

Write a ReviewReviews (3,780)

Reviewed October 1, 2012

With 3 friends on an impromptu stopover, owing to floods at our intended destination. I'd stayed at this hotel about 3-4 years ago on business, when it was "Jurys Inn" in mid-renovation, and had such an appalling experience I declared never to use the chain again. I wrote a very angry letter afterwards to which I never had a reply. It's changed it's name since, and is completely renewed, so we booked.

The hotel is based in a hideous 1960s building incorporating an NCP carpark, which is free to guests and can be accessed directly from the various floors. This is fine as far as it goes, but the carpark has not been renovated, and was designed for cars far smaller than a Jag XF. I had to carefully negotiate the sharp twist in the access ramp, with very high kerbs, then could not find a space in which I could park and still open the door enough to get out. One of our group is disabled, and that a designated bay with far more room was free was a lifesaver. On exiting, the twist is even tighter, and despite taking great care, I took a scrape on one of my alloys which is nice souvenir. It's a disgrace that NCP are still milking this ancient facility which is completely unsuited to modern needs. It's far from the only life-expired, decrepit site NCP still operates.

The interior of the hotel has almost obliterated the sheer naffness of the original structure, though it still shows through in places, not least in the ridiculously small lifts. My friend's disabled room was excellent, and huge. We took the pricer rooms higher up, which were comfortable, with good views, but not really justifying the £150 pricetag. No mini bar, and not even a hook in the bathroom to hang clothes or towels. WiFi was down, but there was a cat 4 lead in the drawer and connection by wire was fine.

Breakfast was standard hotel chain buffet - choice looks good, but the actual quality is pretty dire. Sausages and bacon both very average. One just knows it's nearly all pre-prepared and reheated. It's a common problem - 5 star Marriotts are equally poor.The restaurant (nicely located on the quayside) is accessible by a staircase - the only option for somebody with limited mobility is "through the kitchen". A small lift is badly needed here.

Staff very helpful, friendly and efficient.

Location is good, and it served the purpose for us. The fabric of the building, however, is just so 60s-at-it's-worst, they should have razed it to the ground and started again, as the location justifies it. I truly hope it's not listed. They've tried to make a silk purse from a sow's ear, and it doesn't fully come off.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol_GM1, General Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Trevgti,

Thank you for your review. Firstly thank you for highlighting the positive features of the hotel and I am glad you gave us another opportunity.

In response to the NCP Car Park, it has been in place since the mid 1960's and it is indeed a listed building, therefore altering the interior or exterior is close to impossible. That said, we believe offering complimentary overnight and weekend parking significantly out weights any negative features of the facility as average parking in the city ranges from£15-£30.

I have taken note of your comments regarding the hotel charging £150 not justifying the price tag, rest assured we will continue to review our pricing however we believe for £50 per person in a city centre hotel, with breakfast, internet & car parking included….we offer excellent value when compared to our competitors.

Thank you for making us aware of the issues that you experienced and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in The Bristol Hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future,

Regards

Mark Payne
Mark_payne@doylecollection.com

Reviewed September 27, 2012

After a month working apart, I booked this as a surprise for my partner.

I wrote to the manager telling him of the occasion and from the moment we arrived to our late departure the next day we could not have been treated better, everyone did all they could to make sure the stay was magical. We had cold champagne delivered, canapés, an incredible view of the harbour side and many other surprises to ensure our stay was effortless and delightful.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed on a saturday & sunday in Sept.We were on the 5th floor on the side of the hotel. If you want to sleep wear ear plugs as the noise kept going until 4 in the morning.Our room was double glazed but that did not help.The room was also in need of repair around the window.
The hotel is lovely inside & the staff were very good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a Tripadvisor review regarding your stay with us.

Firstly, on behalf of the hotel, I would like to apologise for the noise caused by the other bars and restaurants on the riverside.
I do understand your frustration however we try to monitor that as much as possible. As you mentioned we have secondary windows in the room in order to minimise the noise disturbance however being right in the city centre/harbour side hotel it can be quite noisy on Friday and Saturday evenings so please accept my apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you.
Please feel free to contact us so that we can update your profile in order to allocate an inside room.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Kind regards,

Raphael Herzog

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Booked this hotel because of its closeness to the Bristol Hippodrome, it was just a 5 minute walk! As other reviews mention the outside is a bit grim but is lovely once you are inside the door!
our room(s) were great,clean and well equipped,even a nespresso machine for fresh coffee (once I had worked out how to use it). the bed was so comfortable,crisp linen and fluffy duvet and the mattress was so comfy very unusual in a Hotel!
toiletries were quality and plentiful.
I think the only downside was our view,overlooking the roof and air conditioning units BUT We weren't there for the view!
There was a small queue for breakfast but the staff were so nice it didn't really matter. breakfast was wonderful,loads of choice. all in all a great night away!

Room Tip: If views are an issue ask for a view of the harbour area, but it may be noisier because of the bars!
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We arrived at this hotel having driven from Port Isaacs,on arrival the staff where so helpful,could not do enough for us,helping us with parking,places to visit.
The rooms were beautiful we had room 531 great views over the wharf and a short walk into the city,great position.would stay at this hotel again and again !!!!

Room Tip: Our room was 531 great views.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed on a Saturday night in September 2012, having found a room on lastminute.com for £109 - pretty good especially on a Saturday. When you arrive you initially wonder what on earth you're in for as the exterior is a particularly grim 60s/70s style block, but the interior immediately reassures you that this is a quality hotel. Our room was small but plush - one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, free wifi, lovely bathrooom, great TV (with proper Freeview rather than the rubbish closed circuit systems that some hotels use to pump round a random selection of channels normally in poor quality) etc.

However, I'm not sure if we just got the "cheapo" room reserved for the online deals, but what immediately struck us was how noisy it was, even with the windows shut. During the day we got the buskers from the street outside and at night the loud music pumping out of the bar attached to the back of the hotel. Luckily it didn't bother us as we were ourselves going on a night out, and we'd had enough to drink that we fell asleep easily when we returned, but had we been there for a quiet romantic night not leaving the hotel I think we would have been a little annoyed by it.

The hotel is located right by the all the bars and restaurants at he harbourside area so a great location, and only about 15 minutes' walk from Temple Meads station. We'd definitely return if we had a good deal but perhaps not if we needed to be up early in the morning!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple