“One of the best hotels” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Bristol
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
australia
“One of the best hotels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We arrived at this hotel having driven from Port Isaacs,on arrival the staff where so helpful,could not do enough for us,helping us with parking,places to visit.
The rooms were beautiful we had room 531 great views over the wharf and a short walk into the city,great position.would stay at this hotel again and again !!!!

Room Tip: Our room was 531 great views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed on a Saturday night in September 2012, having found a room on lastminute.com for £109 - pretty good especially on a Saturday. When you arrive you initially wonder what on earth you're in for as the exterior is a particularly grim 60s/70s style block, but the interior immediately reassures you that this is a quality hotel. Our room was small but plush - one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, free wifi, lovely bathrooom, great TV (with proper Freeview rather than the rubbish closed circuit systems that some hotels use to pump round a random selection of channels normally in poor quality) etc.

However, I'm not sure if we just got the "cheapo" room reserved for the online deals, but what immediately struck us was how noisy it was, even with the windows shut. During the day we got the buskers from the street outside and at night the loud music pumping out of the bar attached to the back of the hotel. Luckily it didn't bother us as we were ourselves going on a night out, and we'd had enough to drink that we fell asleep easily when we returned, but had we been there for a quiet romantic night not leaving the hotel I think we would have been a little annoyed by it.

The hotel is located right by the all the bars and restaurants at he harbourside area so a great location, and only about 15 minutes' walk from Temple Meads station. We'd definitely return if we had a good deal but perhaps not if we needed to be up early in the morning!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

A great stay. Very welcoming hotel. Good standard of decor and all around comfort. Great service and very good quality food and drink. I was part of a large party which also used the business and conference faciities during the day which were also to an extremely high standard. Will definitely return for work or lesiure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank David G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I travel to Bristol every couple of months with my work. Being a female alone in a big city is not the greatest, so it is good to find such a lovely, comfortable hotel, where you feel safe. The Bristol is such a place. I am often now fortunate to receive a room upgrade on my arrival, which makes my stay even nicer. Thanks guys. Will be back soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the harbour.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Heiloo, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Arriving at the hotel I was not too impressed with the outside facade. That changed however the moment I stepped into the lobby. Check-in was very fast and efficient. I was asked which newspaper I wanted delivered to my room every morning and was a bit taken aback to find it on my bill afterwards. Maybe a point of attention to at least mention at check-in this is not a free service but at 80p a day I suppose nobody would really mind, at least I didn't.

The room was spacious, squeaky clean and well furnished. The bathroom was very nice with large towels ( and I mean LARGE) and everything one could need or want. Bed: excellent. TV would have been fine except for the fact the digital signal was so weak that many channels went either blocky or totally blacked out all together. Internet was free and easy to log into both wired and wireless but speeds were not sufficient to allow me to log in to my company's VPN so I could not work - big minus, especially when the internet connection is actually advertised as "high-speed internet".

Special mention goes to two things which may be small, all things considered, but were at least a level up from what one would expect for the price: a bathroom mirror with anti-fog area and a nespresso machine. The latter is a commodity other hotels seem to be oblivious about, replacing it with disgusting sachets of instant coffee and a water cooker, but to me is an absolute clincher! Any hotel that puts a good cup of coffee at the disposal of its guests at any time of the day or night gets my business any time, every time - full stop! I highly appreciated that touch including the good selection of nespresso flavors available in the room.

Food in the restaurant was very competent and dinner service was very friendly and professional. One point of attention would be opening hours: although the menu posted in the elevator stated the restaurant was open for dinner from 17:30 onward, restaurant staff insisted (at 18:15) they would only serve from 18:30 but would accommodate me nevertheless - it did make the welcome a bit hesitant. Breakfast was plentiful but also chaotic - I eventually gave up flagging a waiter/waitress for coffee during the 30 minutes I was there. Admittedly, the place was packed and my table was actually given to someone else while I was getting some fruits but this shouldn't happen. Guys, forget about serving every individual table with a can of coffee/tea, put a couple of big coffeemachines on the buffet and let people fill up!

One last bit of criticism would be the smell on the upper floor and in the room - I don't know whether the penetrant flowery smell was from automatic dispensers or from daily spraying but it quite literally took my breath away causing me quite a bit of throat/nose irritation. I aired the room to get rid of it, but it was back the next day. Nice smell but 1% of the amount would have been wonderful, this was more like chemical warfare!

Everybody in the hotel spoke excellent English, including the mostly foreign staff (lots of Eastern Europeans and some Spanish) and were obviously trained extremely well to provide the highest level of service and friendliness - this hotel gets top marks for that!

All in all, with the exception of not being able to get any work done in the room and the terrible smell which shows excellent intentions over-zealously applied this hotel earned a place on my shortlist of best places to stay.

Room Tip: Room on the water side. Streetside is no good at all. The view over the river at night is wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed in the Bristol hotel last weekend for 2 nights. From the time we arrived until we left we experienced total professionalism combined with personal service. All the staff here are wonderful and would bend over backwards to please you. The food in the restaurant and the cocktails in the bar was second to none and our waiter in the restaurant was determined we were not going to leave hungry!!!!! A lovely lovely guy. Piano playing in the back round was so relaxing to listen to both during breakfst and dinner. Breakfast was the usual buffet but with a wide choice of hot breakfasts and not just the usual full English. Gluten free options, vegetarian options my personal favourite the fresh smoothies. So all in all I would recommend the Bristol Hotel to everyone looking for a place to stay in this area. Thanks to all for making it such a good break.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a fairly nice hotel in a good location which would have been fine for our weekend visit to Bristol, but unfortunately we booked the 'Passion Package' - which
sounded reasonable value compared to the standard room prices. It includes
an upgraded deluxe room with harbour views , late checkout, champagne & a 'passion
kit' (whatever that is!).
Big mistake - please don't even consider booking this package at this hotel! (unless you enjoy
embarrassing comedy).
We checked in a few hours early, so our room wasn't ready the first time which was fine and we just had to collect the key card a few hours later. Unfortunately on both occasions the check in staff announced in loud voices to the crowded reception area that we were on the 'Passion Package' and when did we want our various 'Passion extras delivered to our room?'. Hint to hotel - this is not a great idea. It is a bit more classy to be a bit more discreet about such things!
When we got to our room we found it was not the upgraded room with harbour side
view but one facing the scruffy back street. Clearly the hotel does not reserve the harbour view rooms for this package even though that is what they advertise! It took about 45 minutes trying to find out from reception why we didn't have the room we had reserved. They didn't have a clue basically, but eventually and rather reluctantly they agreed a discount off the package price instead. Not a very relaxing or pleasant start to our 'romantic' weekend! Unfortunately the comedy continued, as the advertised 'Passion Kit' never materialized, despite several somewhat embarrassing but by now rather funny attempts to request it from reception at various times during our stay. If anyone every finds out what it is we would love to know!! The hotel clearly didn't know. At one stage it was suggested that it was the standard toiletries pack that come with the room - shampoo & conditioner don't do much for my passion so it probably wasn't that.

Apart from all that this is probably quite a nice hotel. I think the reception staff need some very urgent training though on how the 'Passion Package' should be handled. Until then, best to pay more for the standard room prices and avoid this!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alan614
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I was made aware of the issues you have experienced on the weekend and I very disappointed to hear about them.
I'm really sorry about the room not been allocated and the package not been delivered, I have gone through your points in detail with my Reception Manager and Housekeeping manager to find out the reasons for the inexcusable lapse and re-training has been highlighted as a priority to avoid a repeat of these challenges. We have high standards here at the Bristol hotel and I apologise that they were not adhered to on this occasion. We have been praised by so many travellers about the package and I was sorry to hear that we did let you down.

I would like to assure you that we welcome your feedback and as we are a learning organisation we appreciate all feedback and find it very valuable in moving forward and improving the service that we provide to our guests. At The Bristol Hotel, we take great pride in the individual, friendly and courteous service that we provide to all our guests, ensuring that their comfort and care are at the forefront of what we do.

We did let you down on this occasion and I can assure you that this was a one off incident. My staff offered you a large discount as an apology for not being able to fulfil our promise to you however I would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly on 0117 9230333 or Raphael_herzog@doylecollection.com in order for me to discuss this further with you.

Once again I would like to apologise on behalf of the hotel and thank you for making us aware of the issues that you experienced. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in The Bristol Hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Kind regards,