“Best ask where your room is located before you book............”
Review of The Bristol

The Bristol
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Just returned from a Friday - Sunday stay and it was awful. We were in room 223 and at 10.30pm we could not sleep in our room for the 'thump thump thump' of the music in the hotel's Shore Bar below. We were advised it was the outside speakers which would be turned off at 11pm but this just removed the teeth rattling edge to it.

We asked to be moved and the hotel obliged. None of the staff seemed surprised at the complaint and request and others on here have experinced the same thing.

223 was a disappointingly small room. The photo of a superior double (although its the most basic room the question begs superior to what exactly?) on the website shows a chair next to the bed. Our room went wall, slim bedside table, double bed, small beside table then more wall. There were no drawers other than in the bedside table or the desk so we were jamming stuff in wherever it would go.

After we complained we were moved to 424 and that was even smaller! There wasn't even a proper wardrobe let alone drawers. Goodness knows what you would do if staying for longer than 2 nights.

The next day the hotel responded and moved us again to a large room that was nice if a little tatty (stains on carpet etc). I have assumed this was still a superior room because it lacked the extras that mark the next room up (eg nespresso machine and robes) however given that the basic service a hotel provides is somewhere to sleep, when you fail at that first hurdle it calls everything into question. We suggested the noise affected rooms would be better given to parties (eg hen or stag) who are more likely to stay out longer but were advised such groups aren't encouraged (except in the bar one assumes).

Our meal in the restaurant was also terrible but I have reviewed seperately under the River Grille.

There were positives. Parking is free from 4pm on Friday for the weekend. It is in a good location. The receptionist was lovely and other staff pleasant. It was very very clean. I imagine our experience would have been acceptable if we'd been put in 424 in the first place and good if we'd been put in 530 however I simply cannot condone a hotel that charges £105 for a room and knowingly puts people in rooms that suffer from noise pollution. The lesson here is this hotel will be fine if you're going to be out late yourself or if you're hard of hearing. If not and you do decide to book then call the hotel and check where your room is first.

Room Tip: Rooms with yard views are quieter and the higher up the building you can get the better as the rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

ear Lawyer82,

I was very disappointed to hear about the issues that you experienced with regards to your stay with us. I have already responded to your email over the weekend and as mentioned to you our Duty Manager called me and explained me the challenges you were facing. I know he was trying to speak to you on Saturday and Sunday and left a note in your room in order to resolve that and restore your confidence in our hotel. Unfortunately we did not hear from you and this is somehow frustrating as we were not given the chance to resolve the challenges you had during your stay.

As per our separate exchange of emails I'm happy to hear that this was now resolved to your satisfaction and that I have taken all your feedback very seriously and I can assure you that this was a one off incident. If you look on our online reviews we get very good feedback and what you have experienced this weekend is certainly not reflecting on our usual standards. I hope you will give us a chance to restore your confidence in our hotel in the near future.

Once again I would like to apologise on behalf of the hotel and thank you for making us aware of the issues that you experienced. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in The Bristol Hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours Sincerely
Raphael Herzog

There are newer reviews for The Bristol

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Stayed one night 24/5/2012. Parked next doo in free car park. Room large, clean and bright, had everything I needed. Breakfast included a great variety of hot and cold offerings. Really convenient for central Bristol, staff polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the marina at the rear of the hotel - quiter and with a lovely view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2012

First class hotel. Great location. Good food and accommodation. Will go again

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Bristol is a great city. The Bristol Hotel looked to like up to its city. The location is great - on the water and walkable to most places of interest. The lobby looked good, the staff were pleasant and the room was a good size. We got there early afternoon, went to our room without a view and settled in. All seemed promising, then other people started to walk past the room making quite a noise. We figured this was was a particular group of loud individuals. Then throughout the rest of our stay we realised that we could hear every word said by our neighbours either side and all those walking past.

In short the noise levels ruined our trip.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2012

Dear Andyclo.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your stay with us. I was very disappointed to hear about the issues on noise and that it has affected what would have been a very good stay with us.

In order to look at the issue more in details, I would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly on bristol@doylecollection.com and give me more details like your room number and so on, so that I can look into the matter and remedy what issues may have arisen during your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Kind regards,

Raphael Herzog

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Location is 10/10. Car parking was complimentary for the weekend and right next to the hotel. We asked for a quiet room and we were accommodated on 6th floor (the view was well... non-existent, just roof top and air con units- but it was quiet!).
Bed was super comfortable. Loved the Krups expresso machine in the room. Very clean throughout and a good price at £150 for Saturday and Sunday night when booked in advance. If I go back to Bristol I'll certainly stay here.
We didn't eat in the restaurant. There is however a wonderful Indian restaurant (and a host of others close by) and the Shakespeare pub just a few doors away is excellent too.
Don't be put off by the hotel's exterior - this must be one of the best places to stay in Bristol and certainly for the price.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed on a Saturday and Sunday night and everything was first class. We were greeted with a friendly smile, our room was spotless as was the bathroom, the toiletries were good as was the comfort of our bed. Good choice of food for breakfast and we both thoroughly enjoyed dinner and the wine although not cheap was excellent. We are looking forward to our next visit and would certainly recommend this hotel

2  Thank Johanna D
Reviewed May 22, 2012

If I could give anyone any advice about this hotel it would be to ensure you get a room with a river view, we didn't and it really spoiled the experience which was otherwise good.

We booked a deluxe room, and were given 'inner' room 128 on the 1st floor. The room itself was spacious, with a huge comfortable bed, nice decor and lighting, modern (if very small) bathroom with excellent shower and nice toiletries, and all mod cons like the Nespresso machine, flat screen TV, internet access etc. What spoiled it was the view of the roof of part of the first floor, with a generator/air con unit to one side and hundreds of bird droppings and cigarette ends on view - we kept the curtains closed the whole time we were there.

The hotel is clearly a refurbished older hotel, and they've done a good job of it and its generally very nice and modern throughout, but bits of it are tiring and our room needed a good carpet cleaning and some paintwork as it was quite scuffed and marked. There's also no air-con, and our room was very warm with all 4 windows open, in the height of summer it may be difficult to endure.

Service is excellent, every staff member I encountered was from outwith the UK but they speak English better than me and the service was friendly and efficient throughout.

Dinner and breakfast on the first day was excellent, a good table d'hote dinner menu included in our package with 4 or 5 choices for each course - e.g. I had a crispy pork on mango salsa, then ribeye steak with hand cut chips & salad, then creme brulee for dessert - and a very varied fresh and tasty breakfast in the River Grille on the first day with cereals, cooked breakfast, toast, pastries all served as a help yourself buffet.

The second day however we were told that the River Grille was full at breakfast time, were not offered an opportunity to wait for a table and were ushered to have breakfast in another part of the hotel, which appeared to be a dull conference room with no view and some tables dressed up. There was piped music 70's music blaring, the toast machine delivered burnt toast, the coffee was cold and I felt like we'd been short changed as we were paying the same as those who were on the other side of the hotel enjoying a lovely breakfast overlooking the river in the River Grille! The food and choice was the same but if theres a chance that you may have to eat here then it's only fair that the hotel post up photos on their website so that travellers can decide in advance if the wish to have to eat here!

Its a well located hotel, with access to the carpark on each floor (complimentary parking at weekend), great staff and good food on the whole.

I'd stay again but request a river view room when booking and refuse to eat breakfast anywhere but the main restaurant!

Room Tip: Avoid a room with an 'inner' view, particularly those on the 1st floor.
1  Thank oscart