“Fantastic location!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“Fantastic location!”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights and the location was superb. It was walking distance to city centre and right by Bristol Harbourside. We enjoyed places like Cabot Circus and the weekend festivals right at our backyard. The hotel is not huge but good enough that it didn't flood with guests and traffic.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Just returned from a 2 night stay booked through Late.Rooms.com. Fantastic location, free parking in the NCP car park right next door. (This was a big plus as usually £19 per 24 hours to park your car). Room was compact and we asked for a quiet room so were placed at the front of the hotel as the rear looks out onto the Quay side and can be noisy. Breakfast was very expensive - £16.50 each for Cooked - we gave that a miss!

Room Tip: If you value peace ask for a room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Kings Langley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We booked into the bristol hotel, partly because of its location and partly because it hit the right price point for my pocket for the length of stay.

I was happy with the level of decor in the building, although as others have pointed out there are the odd discolouring stains on the carpets, or watermarks on ceilings - nothing drastic. Everything looks fresh and new otherwise.

Breakfast? Didn't care much for it, although it certainly was plentiful. I wanted something hot, and for eggs they had something rather unusual. They had a sort of horrible stiff eastern european version of an english muffin, upon which some rather nicely done eggs were balanced. I went to the huge dish where the eggs were, to find that people had taken the eggs off the muffins - I now know why! I actually couldn't cut through the muffins I took with my knife, either because they'd been under the heat lamps for so long, or they had just been cooked badly. At the price, I would seek elsewhere to eat breakfast elsewhere in Bristol.

I am only going to mention the bad thing that happened because I was very impressed with the prompt way that the hotel dealt with it. We went out into Bristol, only to return to find that the door to our apartment was open. It was possibly down to luck that nothing was stolen. The doors have a thick seal around the outside that prevents the door closing mechanism from shutting the door completely, and the cleaner hadn't pulled the door closed behind her.

I went down to reception to report this, and without a moments hesitation we were not only allowed to change rooms, but we had our room upgraded to the one with the complimentary coffee machine. However, the door seal on the new room was quite similar and we had already learned ourselves to pull the door behind us, so not too big a deal. But I was impressed.

I would advise moving into a room on the front of the hotel, though - the dockside bars and clubs thump music until the small hours, and although the sound insulation on the windows is enhanced by a second set of panes, it still gets through and disturbs.

On the whole, an OK hotel but I think I'll check out the others next time I'm in bristol.

Room Tip: Miss out on the harbour view and take a front room if you value sleep
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
RiverGrille, Manager at The Bristol, responded to this review, July 9, 2011
Dear Guest

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a Tripadvisor review regarding your stay with us.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel decor and the way my team resolved some of the challenges you had during your stay.

However I was very disappointed to hear about the issues that you experienced with the room door and as soon as this was reported I have addressed this with my housekeeping team and maintenance team in order to avoid any repeat of this issue

I would like to assure you that we welcome your feedback and as we are a learning organisation we appreciate all feedback and find it very valuable in moving forward and improving the service that we provide to our guests

Once again I would like to apologise on behalf of the hotel and thank you for making us aware of the issues that you experienced. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in The Bristol Hotel, please contact myself directly to ensure a pleasant stay.

Kind regards
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Had a great experience staying at The Bristol Hotel, it was the last in our trip around the UK and we stayed for 4 nights. I did a lot of research to work out the best place to stay for convenience, star rating and price and I was very pleased with our stay. The room was excellent, the staff very helpful and the location very handy to restaurants and shopping.

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed for one night in the Bristol Hotel and enjoyed it. It is centrally located in Bristol with a car park right next door. We booked the room in the internet and considered the price very reasonable for what we got.

The room was what you would expect in a modern business hotel. Nothing to complain about.

We enjoyed a good dinner in the hotel restaurant and also the breakfast buffet was pretty good with a wide selection of food.

Service staff at the reception as well as in the restaurant was helpful and friendly.

Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed at the Bristol Hotel for 1 night and was pleasantly impressed. It was conveniently located for business with a public car park adjoining - overnight charges are waived. The staff were friendly but professional. My room was large for a British hotel and furnished in a contemporary style - the bathroom was slightly small but very clean and modern. I took afternoon tea in the bar and there was a great selection of teas and coffees, and the Wookey Hole Cheese sandwich was delightful.

My only issue was the lack of in-room wi-fi access but the feedback from the hotel is that this is being addressed this year.

Overall - a very stylish and modern hotel that I would be happy to go back to.

As an aside - try the coffee in Cafe Gusto across the road!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Wales
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We never knew about this place and often come to Bristol so we thought we would give it a whirl. It is basically a 60s or 70s hotel that has had a really nice refurb. We opted for for a superior room 625 on Fri 24th June. It is worth paying the extra for this and make sure you ask for a room with an outward view because the inward view was pretty grim (you can see it from the lift area).

Really great start with a car park just behind. You walk straight into the hotel. Big bonus is the car parking is free unlike the city inn down the road. Reception staff were all fantastic. Very welcoming and helpful. Had a lovely cocktail in the bar before dinner out in town and the receptionist ordered a taxi for us and came and found us when it arrived. Really good stuff.

The room was really nice. Clean, large with a v comfy bed. Espresso machine is also a nice touch. The only downside is the 60s / 70s construction so you can hear a lot from neigbouring rooms. Someone seemed to be having a glastonbury party 2 doors away. It sounded like fun anyway. Heavenly sleep and blackout curtains made all the difference.

The breakfast was pretty good despite what some of the previous reviewers thought. Poached eggs to order and nice coffee. Papers on hand. Decent sausages and bacon and figs and melon. Juice seemed freshly squeezed.

The only niggles I would say - we ordered a paper which never arrived and we were locked out of our room for some time after lunch despite having a 3pm checkout time.

I would definitely come back to this hotel as in terms of what you get for your money elsewhere in Bristol it cant really be beaten.

Well done to all the staff - everyone was lovely.