“A Christmas Break”

Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Torquay, United Kingdom
“A Christmas Break”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband & I stayed here for 3 nights with breakfast.the room was clean & the beds were very comfortable. The room was very warm & you could control the radiator to what temperature you needed it.We had a room @ the back so it was very quiet.there is a car park @ the back of the Hotel which you have to pay a daily fee. The car park is secure, but be aware you could easily miss the sign for the car park which is just down from the Hotel entrance & on the same side. The breakfast is very good with quite a good choice although my husband did find egg shell in his scrambled one morning!There is a small bar just off the reception if you fancy a drink & don't want to go too far.There is a pub just along the road but was only open on certain days!The train station is just a short walk away so the hotel is ideal if you are travelling by train.The Cabot shopping Centre is about 25 mins walk from the Hotel & the Harbour is about 20mins walk,both easy routes to walk.The staff are nice & friendly but be careful because I booked through Expedia & paid before we went but when we checked out they tried to charge us again but luckily I realised what they were doing! All in all we really enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor @ the back in a twin room & found it very quiet & comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HIEBristol, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, January 17, 2014

Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me direct at the Hotel, or indeed via email me on sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk
Kind Regards

John Morton

Senior Guest Services Manager 0117 930 4800

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Qingdao, China
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Not sure why I didn't like this hotel much. Its a good location near the Temple meads station and 10 mins walk from the old city. Parking is very convenient behind the hotel (Daily charge) But the rooms are small and its all a bit tired. Sometimes the drains in the room smelled. (Is the extraction ventilator system working properly?) and in one of the rooms we had, the shower head was leaking. Water pressure for the shower was also poor so the leak didnt help . Breakfast is included but the standard not very good with inedible scrambled egg and a coffee machine that produced undrinkable coffee. (I hope Holiday Inn Express are not installing these all over the UK).
Staff friendly and no problem to have a late check out which was appreciated, and the price was reasonable. But would I stay there again? No.

Room Tip: The hotel right is on a main road so rooms at the back would be a better choice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear PlantationJohnny,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for convenience for the station. The room was cold, the heater never came on. We had booked a family room with our son, when we arrived we were then asked if we wanted the sofa making into a bed even though we had booked for 3 people. The shower head needs replacing as it wS very rough and worn. Very noisy at 1 in the morning with people returning. The croissants at breakfast were cold and stale. Certainly not up to the standards of the other holiday inn express's that we have stayed at. Would stay at the Ibis next time.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
HIEBristol, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Hi Helen,

Certainly extra heaters or duvets are available from our 24hour reception team, or indeed assistance on how to operate the in room heaters and aircon.

Regarding breakfast temperatures, I will pass over your comments to our morning team, however please be rest assured that our team are always happy to offer alternatives or indeed fix at the time problems or issues you may come across.

I would of course be interested to hear of how our reception team dealt with any feedback you gave during your stay or indeed if any, at check out?

Should you wish to discuss your stay further with me, please do not hesitate to contact me direct at the Hotel or indeed email me on sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk

Kind Regards,

J Morton
sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Had not major problems in my stay here. Location is very good, just in front of the Temple Meads station, next to Hilton hotel and others. Staff was supportive and most of them spoke Spanish either natively or very fluently, this is a plus. Breakfast was either pre-booked or included or the price and it was possible to leave your luggage for a number of hours without extra charge, another plus.
The room was spacious enough and the bed was very comfortable. Also the bathroom, but it would have been nice to have a radiator there too. Did not hear any noise during my stay. The plugs worked smoothly for me, but having no plug adaptor made things difficult and they did not have any on reception - this would be a plus and it does not seem that expensive.
The "minuses" I'd point out are that the corridor smells too much of chemicals, the breakfast sausages were awful, the wifi connection is accessed through a website and has to be renewed after 24 hours (already have seen this at different hotel franchises, but it's a nuisance nevertheless) and also its speed can be very, very slow and may give problems out of conventional web surfing; and in the end, asking for a credit card on arrival (supposedly to check that no damage is made to the rooms?) is kind of awkward...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you kindly for this wonderful review.

Kind Regards

John Morton

Senior Guest Services Manager 0117 930 4800
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed here briefly from about 11pm to 9am but I can't say it was much of a pleasure, a bit tired, a bit crap and generally a bit of disappointment compared with the Premier Inn, Bristol. The staff were OK, although the barman only knew they had white wine but not what sort it was. The 'panini' I was offered was more akin to roadkill than a nice cheese and tuna toasted sandwich with a nicely wilted salad. The room was fine although my aircon kept turning itself off and I woke up several times freezing and having to turn it back on, my biggest annoyance were the pillows were labelled soft and hard but in reality they were thin and pointless.

I probably wouldn't go back unless stopping over in a similar manner.

Room Tip: I'd get a room high up at the back of the hotel to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
HIEBristol, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Hi Phat bloke;

Certainly we would advise our guests to use the wall heaters in the rooms for warmth, rather than the aircon, as this is programed to turn off, after a set time to conserve energy..
(just a little tip for the future) For more information, please see our Energy Policy and Statement of Commitment 2013 for more details, available on our website.

With regards to the pillow choice, these are a brand standard of all our hotels and many of our regular guests do enjoy the option.

Best regards;

John Morton - Senior Guest Service Manager

sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Unusually for a city hotel it was dog friendly which was handy. It was a bit annoying to have to pay for the parking but the service was good and everyone was very helpful. Breakfast was OK. Good location and easy to find.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HIEBristol, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Hi Debby,

Thank you kindly for your review.

The team and I hope to welcome you back again soon.
Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me direct at the Hotel on 0117 930 4800 or indeed via email; sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk.

Kind regards;

John Morton – sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed here requested quite room got a room that appeared to have all of the hotel water pipers run through it. Add to this the mad party guests in the other rooms (some not even residents) who kept my family& I awake most of the night all in all the stay was not good. So beware

Room Tip: Perhaps try somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Andy

Sorry to hear of the issues caused by other guests during your stay. As always we do ask that guests contact us with any problems so we can investigate immediately and of course, offer compensation to anyone effected by lack of sleep or other events should they occur.

If you have not already done so please contact the hotel or indeed myself to see how we can hopefully resolve this or any other issues or questions you may have.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me direct at the Hotel on 0117 930 4300 or indeed via email; sgsm@hiexpressbristol.co.uk.

Kind regards;