“Not what it used to be.”

Graze Bar & Chop House
Ranked #72 of 1,711 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Currently closed for a refurbishment, will be open from the 27th September. We will respond to any enquiries as quickly as possible.
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Over several years we have eaten here and this was our most disappointing visit. My friend was not feeling too well so we both chose a Caesar Salad. The lettuce was hardly prepared and I was served in the salad with almost a half of Coz lettuce, uncut. When the bill came we had an item which stated we were due complementary bread, this was never offered and an almost imperceptible sorry was muttered. The answer to the question about the lettuce was not much better. I came away without leaving a tip (not my normal attitude).
As a general comment, the bar has been redecorated and all surfaces are hard so the level of noise makes conversation difficult and when I went to the toilet the level of background music was almost unbearable. Sadly it seems as if Bath Ales are not really interested in food. I probably won't bother going there again.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Getting straight to the point, the food served at Graze is of a good standard but it is the prices they charge that leave the sour taste.

For me there is definitely a point with some eateries at which nothing more can be added to a menu once the £15 main is passed. The crossover point in which the higher end pub grub upgrades to restaurant standards is a tricky one and unfortunately Graze does not pull it off. It's good and it's tasty but the prices are not justified. Of course it can be argued that the market dictates the price - if the patrons are prepared to pay then so be it but for me I would have expected more at this price point. I walked away feeling slightly cheated if truth be told and won't be going back.

To just put some positivity down though, my party did not suffer any of the poor treatment detailed in other reviews - in fact the opposite and it was a very busy night as well

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Very overpriced.
Took ages to arrive, despite not being busy. I could see into the kitchen, and there was no sense of industry, one of the chefs appeared to be constantly looking at his mobile, and stood chatting to the other chef. I had mackerel nicoise salad, and it was very unmemorable. At £13.50, at lunchtime, I expected something far, far better.
I won't be going back - a real waste of time and money.

Ryan S, Manager at Graze Bar & Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

thank you for your review.

We apologise that you were less than satisfied with your meal.
All our food is fresh and so some dishes take time to cook, in your case it was not the salad but your companions meal which took slightly longer (the sausage and mash mentioned in the review below) any wait was not due to our chefs lack of industry.
As you mentioned it was not busy and during these quite times our chefs often talk to each other as they work, we at Graze do not object to good team moral.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Went to Graze for the first and last time today.

Ordered dish of the day which was sausage & champ and eventually got sausage and mash. They took it back and when it returned they had just chopped spring onion and mixed it in the mash! I was really looking forward to quality food and just got mediocre pub food at a higher price. I am afraid I could never recommend this place to anyone.

Ryan S, Manager at Graze Bar & Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Thank you for your review, we appreciate all feedback, even that which is less than positive.
We are sorry you were dissatisfied with your meal on this occasion, as we strive to make every meal to the highest standards, using the best ingredients.
The meal you received was a plat du jour special at £10, which includes a drink, it is designed to be simple ,flavorsome pub style food, ideal for lunch, our a la Carte menu is more diverse.
It is the inclusion of spring onions in the Champ mash that differentiates it from regular mash potato, I apologise you were not given this in the first instance.
We do hope you will reconsider and return in future.

Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Very tasty dinner whilst visiting Bristol on business. Staff very welcoming and friendly and the food was amazingly tasty

Ryan S, Manager at Graze Bar & Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

thank you for your review.
We're please you enjoyed your experience and we hope to see you again soon.