“Disappointingly Brilliant”

Severn Shed
Ranked #257 of 1,762 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Severnshed is a thriving restaurant with a combination of a friendly and family welcoming ambiance during the day, which transforms to a party socializing atmosphere in the evening with our 2-4-1 cocktails and live music Friday and Saturday night it is the place to be to start your evening. With a wide variety of dishes there is a dish for everyone here.
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Ate here last night whilst a researching an article on Bristol for a magazine ,excellent bottle of Montepulcian to wash down my king prawns with chilli and one of the best cooked and tastiest rib- eyes I have had in a long time with unbelievingly god chips and a bernaise chilli sauce. BUT and it's a big but the steak was despite its flavour really , really chewy to the point it was inedible, what a shame.

But my complaint( which I was embarrassed to make) was superbly handled by the terrific Ayisha, resulted in the steak being removed from the bill.

Great place with great atmosphere but next time I will have the fish.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were lucky to come across Severn Shed: we'd had an afternoon nap to recover from an early morning train journey and a few hours exploration and ended up leaving the hotel at 9pm to eat. Severn Shed was the first restaurant we came across and we were pretty lucky to find there was room for us.

We arrived and were seated within 15 minutes. No qualms with this: the place was filled to the rafters and there was a nice bar to sit in. A very courteous cocktail maestro made a lovely, long drink for my girlfriend (the name of which escapes me, but it was some sort of iced tea) which was refreshing, cooling and thoroughly enjoyed.

We chose food pretty quickly, mainly out of a feeling that we didn't have long before the kitchen closed! We started with a small plate of calamari from a tapas-style menu. We love calamari, and we'd never had it better than at Frankie and Benny's. Sadly, this title remained with the chain restaurant as Severn Shed couldn't quite beat it. I may be naive when I say that I think it was freshly battered and cooked, but it needed a good amount of seasoning in any case!

We both selected lobster risotto for a main course, and I think my girlfriend was more impressed than I. The risotto had nice chunks of lobster and fresh asparagus, but other than that it was a little bland. Some refinements - such as parmesan available as a garnish rather than stirred into the rice - were needed. Nice enough, though.

For dessert we went for our own favourites: my girlfriend enjoys pannacotta and I love Eton mess! The Eton mess (styled as a "Shed mess") looked amazing in its low, squat glass with lashings of raspberry sauce in amongst the cream, but it could've been so much better! More meringue, better ice cream. That sums it up. A place like this shouts that it has great food in the way it is styled and the extent of its menu. But use a better ice cream than the rubbish caterers provide, please!

Atmosphere-wise, it was a lovely place. We enjoyed the music and we were able to hold a conversation sat across from each other. But be warned: as it gets later the music gets louder and this is completely unavoidable as the dance floor is separated only be the bar. If you can put up with it - we could - then it's a place worth a visit.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

wandering around the dock area came across the Severn Shed, what a great find.

Well laid out with tables overlooking the old docks, the service was of the highest quality, the food was excellent and the house wines were of a high standard. We were there at the start of lunchtime service on a Monday and were quickly seated and served, we were in a hurry (which was rather a shame given the high standard) and it filled quickly, so booking may be wise at busy times.

Will use it again next time I am in Bristol

Reviewed April 16, 2013

A short walk from our hotel, located in an old "shed" once used by Brunel the location is great. Service was very good and the food excellent. I managed to charm a table but next time I will book to avoid disappointment and check the bill, they include tip/service at 12.5% but I prefer to tip myslef

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Really nice food. Friendly staff. Had a really lovely night and the setting is perfect. Defentely reccomend too anyone. Oh and the cocktail list can not be missed