“Sunday lunch” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The River Grille

The River Grille
Ranked #94 of 1,552 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Boasting stunning Harbourside view, The River Grille features some of the best produce in the South West and ingredients that speak for themselves. With a sleek lounge bar, The River Grille is also home to a pianist on Friday evenings and Sunday lunch times, and a Jazz band on Saturday evenings. Head Chef Matt Lord writes the a la carte menu quarterly to make use of the best seasonal products, together with a very successful daily specials menu which features many local dishes including some beautifully prepared fish dishes. The beef is 28-day dry aged West Country beef and is cooked on a Josper charcoal grill; favourites from the grill include a West Country 8oz sticky Bourbon & brown sugar rib eye steak, a rack of Nailsea lamb with coriander & green chilli and a Creedy Carver chicken with lemon & thyme. The delicious desserts include a buttermilk panna cotta with apple & summer berries and a cherry clafoutis with cherry ripple ice cream - of course the ice cream is home made! For cheese lovers, there is a plate of West Country cheese with a Bramley apple chutney. In addition, there is a pre theatre/early dining menu available each evening from 5.30-6.45pm, and express lunches from Monday to Friday with a “build a board” concept. On Sundays, a traditional carvery is available. The light and airy dining area has striking light features and mahogany furniture, with large windows that allow diners to look out over the water. The River Grille Bar is complete with a glossy finish and quirky white grand piano. At the Centre of the city, the River Grille Restaurant is a 10 minute walk from Bristol Temple Meads station and right on the Narrow Quay Harbourside.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a 4 course Sunday lunch - thx to Groupon - The food was very good, especialy the main - Roast Beef for me with all the trimmings (delicious) and Gail my ptnr had the Gnocci which she enjoyed but seemed to be missing some of the items it was listed with (rockett etc)
The service was a bit slow in clearing the plates etc And the buffet style desert was a bit odd as many of the desserts were next to the buffet 2nd courses of meats and salads, also there was not any cream on offer and some of the deserts like fruit crumble would be very dry without!
In summary, - nice food and setting with a an excellent pianist playing throughout, wouldn't rush back to pay the full price and to be honest, 4 courses is heavy going for lunch for us.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Deano1969

Bristol
“Mixed bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a 25% discount with vouchercloud - I wouldn't have been happy to pay full price.

Service - after asking for 2 more minutes to order, we waited just under 15. Our starter plates took a good 15 minutes to be cleared. The plates were cleared from the table next to us before ours, even though we'd almost finished our starters by the time they got theirs. In general, the staff seemed quite insular. I had my head up staring at them trying to get their attention to order and get plates cleared etc but they clearly hadn't been trained to keep an eye out. Maybe if staff were assigned to areas/tables this would help. We were asked at the end how things were and I was asked for a bit more detail after I'd said it had been a mixed bag. An apology was made.

Menu - different season to that on the web. Surely not difficult to update a pdf on a website? I know it says sample menu but even so. Still, enough good sounding choices. Always a bit frustrating for those people, like the wife, who it helps to decide in advance and sometimes you can feel a bit robbed if the web menu is 'nicer' than the one you get on arrival.

Starters - I had mushroom dish which was ok, didn't really have the quantity of wild mushrooms as advertised like porcini or ceps, seemed to be chestnut and button mushrooms mainly. As for the mushroom popcorn... Wife had squash soup, again ok, could have been smoother and seemed slightly split as though water had been added. The tortellini was very nice although should've stated tortellino as there was only one, but I think that can be forgiven.

Mains - venison with rosemary crust. Crust non existent, very nice deep fried kale on top, bit like crispy seaweed; garlic mash not garlicky, not that hot and slightly lumpy; squash undercooked, crunchy; not enough sloe gin sauce which was nice enough but the meat was excellent and very well cooked i.e not too much and great flavour - hats off to Ruby and White's for that. Wife had celebration of game. Wasn't surprised that the rabbit ballotine was dry - lacked enough of the advertised apple and black pudding content and rabbit can be tricky. Game sausage, rosti and red cabbage all to order and the dish included the same meat I had which was again excellent.

Dessert - chocolate fondant and ice cream were good, not sure the blackcurrent flavour came through enough. Lemon and honey panna cotta only tasted of honey, berry compote very nice but the biscotti looked like a piece of white bread which had been dehydrated and sweetened. Bit odd.

Wine - we had the SA shiraz, cabernet, malbec for £22. Did what it said on the tin. In general, wine mark-up seemed to be 150% plus though.

Atmosphere/venue - aesthetically very pleasing, great lighting, live jazz on the mezanine, big thumbs up there. Nice location by the water as well. Only one toilet in the gents, no urinal, which was probably insufficient for the number of covers.

Overall, we weren't too disappointed, partly because of the 25% reduction and the fact that the venison was about the second or third best we've ever had. I've gone in to chapter and verse because I notice the manager seems to take an active interest and posts replies. I realise there's a lot of detail. I'm not sure we'd go again and I'd say tread a bit carefully. The grill food we saw come out looked good but I think the menu, venue and, to a certain extent, the price built up expectations which weren't met.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Great Food & Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Delicious steak, very friendly staff. They had run out of lamb and offered us discount on beef steak as an apology. The service was great, would definitely visit again

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Weekend Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My father and I went for lunch here as it is very close to the Hippodrome and we went to see Oliver! We had the four course lunch. We couldn't manage the soup startter. The 2nd course buffet was lovely with great choice.2nd course dad had turkey which he said was very good and I had perfectly cooked cod and crushed potatoes. I loved it!Nice choice of dessert with a correct consistency creme brulee and panacotta. Staff friendly good service we would definitely go again.

• Visited February 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great place to meet friends for Sunday Lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We arranged to meet friends as they were visiting Bristol, went to the River Grille after reading Trip advisor reviews. We weren't disappointed. Pianist playing in the background, interesting views out of the large widows. The Sunday lunch menu for £19.95 for 4 courses was excellent value. All very tasty, well presented. The beef gravy could have been thinner, it fell out in blobs rather than poured but tasted fine. We would definitely recommend and will revisit.