“Damn tasty food”

The River Grille
Ranked #99 of 1,592 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Boasting stunning Harbourside view, The River Grille features some of the best produce in the South West and ingredients that speak for themselves. With a sleek lounge bar, The River Grille is also home to a pianist on Friday evenings and Sunday lunch times, and a Jazz band on Saturday evenings. Head Chef Matt Lord writes the a la carte menu quarterly to make use of the best seasonal products, together with a very successful daily specials menu which features many local dishes including some beautifully prepared fish dishes. The beef is 28-day dry aged West Country beef and is cooked on a Josper charcoal grill; favourites from the grill include a West Country 8oz sticky Bourbon & brown sugar rib eye steak, a rack of Nailsea lamb with coriander & green chilli and a Creedy Carver chicken with lemon & thyme. The delicious desserts include a buttermilk panna cotta with apple & summer berries and a cherry clafoutis with cherry ripple ice cream - of course the ice cream is home made! For cheese lovers, there is a plate of West Country cheese with a Bramley apple chutney. In addition, there is a pre theatre/early dining menu available each evening from 5.30-6.45pm, and express lunches from Monday to Friday with a “build a board” concept. On Sundays, a traditional carvery is available. The light and airy dining area has striking light features and mahogany furniture, with large windows that allow diners to look out over the water. The River Grille Bar is complete with a glossy finish and quirky white grand piano. At the Centre of the city, the River Grille Restaurant is a 10 minute walk from Bristol Temple Meads station and right on the Narrow Quay Harbourside.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Damn tasty food”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

A nice quiet place with a calm atmosphere (the pianist makes things even more relaxing). Couldn't possibly complain about the food, it's fine dining for me! Not exactly the cheapest place to dine but the quality of the food justifies the price. A review here says "food was bland lacking flavours" - either they had a bad chef or their standards are too high. The staff are really nice and professional, made us feel very welcome. Overall a great place to eat.

hinckley leics
“the river grille bristol”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

very good food and service.very good value for money.we will go again.there was an excellent view of the harbour and it was good to people watch as we had our excellent value lunch.good service from a polish waiter who talked to us about his time in england.noisy hen party the other end of the restaurant but this did spoilit for us.we will return

Bristol, United Kingdom
“A cut above”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Surprised at a fellow reviewer's negative comments after sampling the 4 Course Lunch (usually £19.50) on a Groupon deal working out at £12.50 each. Free parking in the adjacent NCP was a bonus. Terrific setting and views of the harbourside and a pleasant ambience thanks to the live piano playing on a Sunday. Soup starter was delicious and very hot. Wide choice on 2nd Course Buffet. A minor point is that I would like to see labels on the buffet items. Had to be careful not to eat too much before the main course. Mains were excellent and there was a good choice. The Sirloin was a little rare for my liking but very good regardless. My wife had lamb which looked perfect. Presentation on a wooden breadboard was attractive - just had to be careful that the gravy didn't spill off! My bread & butter pudding dessert from the buffet was a little cold and looked dry. However, with cream, it tasted excellent. My wife chose different buffet items and was equally impressed. Service throughout was extremely attentive and professional, far better than most restaurants I have visited. I do suspect that they will struggle to fill the restaurant with diners willing to pay £19.50 although the overall experience and quality does warrant the price. If another Groupon deal comes along I will buy several!

• Visited January 2013
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The River Grille, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dera Cgem,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your lunch with us.

I'm glad to hear that you had an enjoyable lunch and I have taken your comments on board regarding the food label and about the dessert buffet. This will be looked at this week.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Regards

Raphael Herzog
Director
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Glad we didn't pay full price”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Visited on a group on deal 4 courses for 2 people @ £12.50 each though it couldn't go wrong at that price in this location, how wrong we were, food was bland lacking flavours with the same sides, presentation and no condiments no matter what your menu selection was.
Food was served Luke warm at best, had to pester staff for our wine which only turned up at the end of the second course, all in cant complain too much for the money we paid but won't be returning, will not use group on again for meals and would never in my wildest dreams entertain paying full price for this restaurant

1 Thank DazKim
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The River Grille, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Dazkim

Thank you for your review.

I'm very disappointed to hear about your feedback regarding our weekend lunch and please accept our apology. I was sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable lunch as the feedback on the day from all our guest has been very positive and many diners were full of praise about the food and will return for their Sunday lunch.

Please do contact me directly by email on Pramod_shaw@doylecollection.com so that I can look at it more in details

Regards,

Pramod Shaw
Food & Beverage Manager
Bristol
“Rude Staff & Inaccurate Advertising”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed at the Bristol Hotel. The lietrature in the room states that The River Grille stays open until 10.30 pm Monday to Sunday and yet, when I arrived at 9.50 pm, I was turned away and told they were closing. I pointed out this was a full 40 minutes before they claim they close but it made no difference. I spoke to the reception staff at the hotel and they were equally disinterested.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Chantel169
TheBristolHotel, Manager at The River Grille, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete a tripadvisor review on your recent visit to the River Grille restaurant . I was most sorry to learn that you were refused table at 21.50 which should not have happened in the first place. Please accept my sincere apology for the above matter.

In regards to the attitude of the waiter, I'm very suprised and disapointed as we usually get loads of compliment about our staff and we do not tolerate this type of behaviour in our restaurant. Suffice to say they will remain isolated in their occurrence and re-training has been highlighted as a priority to avoid a repeat of these challenges. We have high standards here at the Bristol Hotel and I apologise that they were not adhered to on this occasion. Sstandards of service are the hallmark of our business and clearly in this instance we did not deliver. I have gone through your points in detail with my Restaurant Manager and corrective action has been taken for it not to be repeated.
We do close our restaurant at 10pm Sunday to Thursday and 10.30pm on Friday and Saturday. We are in process on updating all the information in our guest directory regarding timings. All the timings should have been explained at reception on check in and are also shown on your key wallet.

I hope you will give us a chance to restore your confidence in our restaurant in the near future. Naturally we would never wish any of our guest’s to be disappointed or for them to feel that they would not be able to recommend us to their friends. With this in mind as we are keen to restore your faith in us and look forward to hearing from you in the very near future. Please do feel free to contact me so that I can personally make your table reservation P 0117 923 0333 or pramod_shaw@doylecollection.com

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours Sincerely