“Let down”

Ranked #190 of 1,592 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Bold, Exciting and Spectacular this is the new NOA Japanese. Born in 2009 Noa Japanese has been serving Clifton for over 5 years. But things have since changed. Nothing was left untouched to ensure the success of this huge Japanese beast that has laid dormant in a quite basement in the heart of Clifton, Bristol. "Noa Japanese has awoken!" We have changed our menu, decor, style and music. And have created a place which better reflects our passion for Japanese food just for you. Come, step inside and experience fun Japanese dining.
Bristol
“Let down”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We found the basics very poorly executed, tempura batter thick a doughy with lumps of uncooked flour. Seaweed salad mainly cheap lettuce covered in thick dressing. Tasteless crab. At £55 for two on a bill with no alcohol we won't be going back.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent food.”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have been to Noa many times, and I consider it the best Japanese restaurant in Bristol.

This time I decided to take my family from Italy, that have never experienced Japanese food before, and they really enjoyed it, as did I!

Friendly and attentive service, cannot recommend it more!

• Visited July 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Underwhelming”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We ate here on a Friday evening and were one of only a handful of tables occupied. It's been a long time since I've eaten in a Japanese restaurant other than Yo Sushi and I was looking forward to it. Sadly, I don't think what is on offer here is superior, and at much higher prices. When you are charged £16.95 for 2 small pieces of blackened cod it really needs to be exquisite to justify the cost, not just ok and full of bones like mine was. My partner's raw tuna dish contained a lot of fish but it wasn't of a great quality and so was fairly unappetising. Raw fish has to be premium quality to be delicious.

I would consider going back for a cheaper lunchtime bento box, but the dinner menu doesn't justify the high prices.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Elles_Belles555
Ilsington, United Kingdom
“Don't go”
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I have been to many Japanese restaurants before and this one was the worst!!! The food was very poor. My starter Wakame salad was very small. My main Katsu don was tasteless my partner ordered Raw salmon with rice the salmon was not fresh and look like it came out from Tesco cheapest salmon package! which was very wrong. Japanese should only use fresh salmon for sushi or sashimi Not a salmon from local supermarket!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Wei L
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Restaurant!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have been here a number of times now. First I took my father when he visited, then I took my sister when she visited, and now every time my sister visits she immediately asks or suggest going, so it is pretty much a staple now.
The restaurant has a nice atmosphere, and I have frequented the establishment both when it has been full and empty and have had a lovely time every time. Note it may be worth booking as it has been very busy on a few occasions.
The food is excellent and always tastes freshly prepared, and the ingredients, even just the side salad tastes so fresh and of great quality. I often go for the same, I have a miso soup, followed by edamame, then either chicken or salmon teriyaki, I must admit I do prefer the salmon teriyaki, and my only fault was I didn't love the chicken, it was quite weird thin big pieces, which just wasn't quite for me. Then I would get a lot of sushi, all the varieties were amazing, and just the quality of the ingredients is second to none. I also tried their Aloe Vera juice to drink last time which I absolutely loved. They also offer a take away service, and despite usually being a glutton, I nearly always get some sushi to take-away and snack on later.
Both my father and sister have tried a number of the other dishes which they both found "excellent" and "superb". To be honest after taking my father to couple of really bad restaurant experiences, namely Brace & Browns and Muset, he joked after both experiences we should have stuck to Noa rather than risking something new!
The staff are very friendly and helpful, and I even went in one day on my own when I was run down and not feeling well, I couldn't really taste anything from having a cold so I just ordered a bowl of Miso soup to warm me up and some Aloe vera juice, I was a bit worried that they wouldn't want to serve such a small and very low value meal, think it came to like £3/4. But they were more than happy to and made me feel very welcome.
The only thing to mention is that sometimes it can be a bit of a wait, but I put this down to the food being freshly prepared from scratch and I didn't mind at all, although my father may have got a little impatient. The restaurant was quite busy on those occasions, maybe an extra waiting staff would help, as on couple of occasions there was only one lady serving, but she was always very helpful and friendly.
I really do love this restaurant and would recommend it to anyone!

• Visited March 2013