“Gives argrah a run for its money!!”
Review of Raj

Raj
Ranked #52 of 1,733 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: A traditional Indian restaurant in the heart of Bristol. Established since 1981, The Raj has endeavored to serve the finest Indian cuisine, using the highest quality ingredients.
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Visited raj as it had good reviews on trip advisor. Usually me and my partner go to the same places cos we are always disappointed when one meal isn't as good as the last (we love a good meal). We then decided to try out Raj and it was literally the best Indian Ever! The waiting staff were brilliant, the prices good and especially the food. Could tell effort had been put into making the dishes. Will definitely be back in the future for sure!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,747)

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I had not visited The Raj for about 6 months before this visit which was with another couple. We visited the restaurant on a Saturday night in late December, with a 9 pm booking.

The Raj is my Indian restaurant of choice. I do go to other Indian restaurants in Bristol and Bath, when meeting friends and they want to go somewhere closer to where they live. There are plenty of OK Indian restaurants in Bristol, with a few that are a little better. The Raj is a massive step above the best of the rest.

We travel around the country extensively at the weekends chasing birds. As my 11 year old daughter is a fussy eater, we always eat in Indian restaurants. Our daughter always eats her usual, which is poppadoms with mango chutney followed by pilau rice and dhal. Over the last 6 months, we have eaten in Indian restaurants in Cornwall, Devon, Norfolk, Suffolk, Aviemore, Grantown on Spey, Isle of Skye, Stornoway (Isle of Lewis) and Lerwick (Shetland). A few of the restaurants have been average but most have been poor. It amazes me that these restaurants can survive.

The Raj is in a basement with original arches but is made to feel warm and bright with its white décor and tasteful paintings. The setting feels luxurious with good quality linen and cutlery.

We visited on a busy Saturday night, but the waiters were still welcoming and friendly. I could see from their certificate in their bar that they were accredited with 5* for food hygiene, which is important to me. It shows good management.

We ordered plain poppadoms with pickles, vegetable patia, vegetable dhansak, saag paneer, brinjal bhaji, taka dhal and plain rice. Our friends had an array of chicken and lamb dishes. The waiters were helpful and accommodating whilst we were ordering.

The poppadoms were perfectly done without being overdone or too oily. The vegetable patia and dhansak were full of fresh Indian vegetables such as aubergines and okra which were not chopped too small, so gave the curries texture. The patia was the perfect heat level, hot but less than a madras. The dhansak was also perfect: hotter than a patia but still less hot than a madras. The patia also had a little sweetness without being sickly sweet. This is the part that most restaurants are unable to achieve and sickly sweet patia curries are common. The dhansak also had the right level of dhal in it. These were two great curries, cooked as they are meant to be.

Our saag paneer was also great, with chunks of paneer, no visible oil and lots of taste. The brinjal bhaji was made with even sized chunks of aubergine, was full over flavour, without being oily.

Our friends said that their chicken bhuna and lamb pasander were also perfect, but as vegetarians I didn’t taste those.

The food came quickly, particularly as the restaurant was busy. The waiters also took the time to be friendly whilst serving us, even though they were busy.

I am of Bangladeshi decent and have incredibly high standard when it comes to Indian meals out. My expectation is of food that tastes as good as my mother’s cooking at her best. My memories whilst growing up are of some fantastic home cooking and this is what I crave for and rarely get. However, it is what I got at The Raj. It is a very special Indian Restaurant.

Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Been here a few times, always a warm welcome, as are their curry's!!!!
You wont go far wrong by eating at the Taj.

Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

I have been staying in Bristol for a few months for work, and this is the best place I have found for a curry. It's a nice cosy little restaurant with a good selection of tasty indian food, and friendly service

Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

I came to the Raj with a friend and was very impressed. The food was of high quality and the service was friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend it!