“Old Down Country Park”

Clevedon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Old Down Country Park”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have visited this venue 4 times now taking my grandchildren or different friends on each occasion. I think it is lovely for the children and a pleasant day out for all in general. Cafe and shop nice, pleasant staff, strawberries were delicious when I had them last year and I was lucky enough to go into the house on 1 occasion and really enjoyed it, the decor is beautiful wonderful for a wedding venue but apparently they only have certain open days where you can have a tour round. It was a lovely taste of how the other half can live - very whizzy yet fitting.

The gardens are very nice and the rockery is beautiful with a superb view. A lot of money has been thrown at this venue and it is tastefully done and I would assume that it is still being developed. There is only one fly in the ointment as far as I can see and that is the loos, very very basic, a big let down and as a previous reviewer commented 1 mixed gender loo and 1 disabled I think there was porta loo of some sort the first time I visited (steered clear of that) and because it was very busy on the first visit there were long queues and desperate children it was quite a strain for me because of the loo situation. I think they should make this a much higher priority because people with any complications or diabilities would do better to make sure they select a day when it is not so likely to be bustling with people.

All in all everyone I have taken there has really enjoyed the day out very much and talk of taking other friends/children.

Visited June 2012

Bristol, England
133 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 325 helpful votes
“could do a lot better”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Cafe is really nice - very good food, nice surroundings but the country park is shabby and could do better. We paid £18 for a family of four this gave access to some pretty gardens/woodland, some animals (not all those listed), an assault course. That was it.

The house has been redeveloped as a wedding venue and a lot of money spent on it but the park is a bit neglected.
Also - loo facilities - 2 loos for the whole place, both were dirty, tap not working, very shabby.

Needs improving.
Would go back to cafe but not the park!

Visited March 2012
3 Thank Feeny
Bristol, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Lovely Day Out - will be back”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This was a hidden gem. After trawling the internet for a reasonably priced day out for 2+2, I am so please we came here. I noticed there were lots of faamilies with very young children (under 7's) and i would say it was more sutiable for olders ones - mine are 8 & 9.5 - who need less input from adults & happy to run around the woods/fields/play areas unhindered.
Time - arrived 11am, left 3pm - 4 hrs and didnt see everything
Mini Assualt Course - prob best for over 7's - looks like new equipment, well maintained & big enough to wear them out. Big kids can be accommodated!
Animals - we bought 50p bags of feed which amused the children with the antics of those wanting to be fed
Walled garden - lovely area with lots of home grown produce. There is a large pond with no fence, but it does have a grill over it - but didnt stop some adults ignoring their toddlers hanging around it.
Fee - bargain at £18 for a family ticket
Cafe - food was great & no more overpriced than any other attraction cafe. Plenty of picnic tables to accommodate own food.
Toliets - new single sex blocks of toilets throught the cafe as addition to the 2 unisex ones.
Gardens/Woodland - lots of places to explore, across stiles, round lakes, through fields etc, but prob not suitable for little ones or buggies as uneven.
Weather - can't complain as it was a dull day & even after a month of rainfall the paths (inc woodland paths) were dry

Visited May 2012
Bristol
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Our new favourite restaurant”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We've eaten in the Bistro 4 times now and will be returning very soon. Last time we had the Tapas menu which was gorgeous, really authentic. Previously I've always had the fish and found it to be superb. The staff are so friendly and the manager really knowledgable about the dishes and happy to discuss recommendations etc. The atmosphere is lovely - cozy and romantic - yet I've been there with groups of people obviously loving it too. Oh and the bread is delicious! I cannot rate this high enough, I think it will soon be hard to get a table as more and more people discover the Bistro!!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Louise G
Bristol, United Kingdom
446 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 401 helpful votes
“Excellent fun for kids.”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Although the park is aimed more at younger children we decided to visit to try it out on our two young teenagers. There are lots of animals to see and pet as well as an extensive adventure playground. The grounds are quite extensive and include some lovely views of both the Severn bridges. The cafe was very good, with decently priced food. Family entrance fee was £18 and we were there for about 4 hours so that is good value for money. My only negative observation was that they could do with more staff - we got there early but the bins were overflowing and there were queues at the til and in the cafe.

Visited May 2012