“Disappointed”
Review of The Cowshed

The Cowshed
Ranked #160 of 1,652 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At The Cowshed we bring the taste of the countryside to the city. For us the most important thing is knowing where and how food is produced. We focus on the quality of the farming or production methods and the ethics and integrity of the grocer, breeder or supplier.
Reviewed June 21, 2014

A double Birthday celebration took six of us to the Cowshed this week. We ordered a variety of starters, which included mussels, scallops and cauliflower and curry soup. No complaints so far. However, we then waited ONE HOUR for our main courses, which arrived with an apology but no explanation. This was a lunch hour and the restaurant less than full, so we could not understand why we waited so very long. The steak sandwich - one of our party had specifically asked that this not be served 'bloody' and was assured it would be medium. It was served rare - so bloody it was. My mother in law asked if she could have some butter on her dry breaded burger and was served a slither so thin I do believe the waitress was embarrassed to serve it! We did have a laugh amongst ourselves over this. The portions of 'Bernaise' sauce were very small and, at £2 a throw, somewhat on the expensive side. Yes, we could have mentioned all of this at the time but, after an hour's wait we were all pretty hungry, two of our party are elderly and just wanted to leave and some of us had to return to work. Not an experience we will be repeating and such a shame as we had all looked forward to the double celebration for quite some time. Incidentally, credit where it's due (and there wasn't much of it to give out) the waitress was polite, informative and engaged in conversation with us, wishing the Birthday folk a happy day and therefore received a tip from us, despite our dissatisfaction with our visit.

1  Thank Verity67

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Met friends there once again for the £10 lunch and it's still the best value around. The chaps had steak, my friend and I had fish & chips. I'm allergic to citrus and as usual the staff were very accommodating. Delicious puds! Service friendly but also very slick. There's always a good atmosphere.

Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Seven of us dined there a couple of weeks ago and were delighted with every aspect of the experience. I had an asparagus starter which was mouthwatering and it seems that everyone at the table was well pleased with their own choice. I rarely eat steak when dining out but on this occasion I did and was rewarded with a wonderful melt in the mouth sirloin cooked to perfection. Only a few of us had dessert and all commented on how good they were. Service was first class and the only downside was that the in house water served which was meant to be sparkling was not. A small gripe to make since everything else was smashing!

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Went here with my girlfriend.. Both of us really liked it. Good food, good restaurant, good location in Clifton.. Good value menu. I would recommend.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

On a short break to the area, my boyfriend and I were recommended here as we love a good steak! Great atmosphere on arrival- it had a really nice buzz. We were impressed with the menu, although being quite pricey this didn't put us off- we were out to have a nice meal and we were prepared to spend in return for some quality food. I had a delicious roasted quail with celeriac to start and my boyfriend had a poached duck egg with cured ham and peas. Unfortunately the egg came out raw (still transparent on the inside & jellified), so it was sent back. The next attempt, to our shock, was the same egg- and still raw! He sent it back again. Our waiter came over to apologise and explained that they normally serve their eggs like that, if they were to cook them longer the yolk would no longer be runny. Poaching an egg is not rocket science...we appreciate it's not easy to know how well done it is...but seriously, to serve it raw...twice? I'm not sure if the waiter thought we were stupid but continued to explain to us that it wasn't the same as boiling or frying and that because it was a duck egg it was different to a chicken egg. At this point we were both getting rather agitated, my boyfriend is actually a chef in a very similar calibre establishment and I have run front-of-house in a restaurant for the last 4 years...a word of advice to our waiter- you never EVER talk to your customers like that. To top it all off apparently the chefs only poach a duck egg for 15-20 seconds...yes that's right- seconds?!! No wonder it was raw! We were thoroughly disappointed at being treated like children, we are pretty laid back people, and being in the industry we try to give others a bit of slack as we understand how it all works, but we also know how it should & shouldn't be done. This was a big NO. An apology and a new plate with a cooked egg (a fresh one) would have sufficed. Needless to say this tainted the rest of the meal for us. The steaks were beautifully cooked, with delicious sides, but the service let down what could have been a great evening out. We deeply resented having to pay £87 for 2 courses & 3 glasses of wine...such a shame.

2  Thank E_Iris9