“A return to form on Sunday roasts”
Review of The Cowshed

The Cowshed
Ranked #147 of 1,711 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At The Cowshed we bring the taste of the countryside to the city. For us the most important thing is knowing where and how food is produced. We focus on the quality of the farming or production methods and the ethics and integrity of the grocer, breeder or supplier.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Being a regular customer of The Cowshed, I was a little disappointed about 6 months ago when I decided (after 18 months of loyalty) to look elsewhere for 'the best roast in Bristol'. What had previously had been untouchable had slipped a little. Not that it was bad or anything, just not as good.

We decided however to give them another try as our new favourite roast venue didn't have a table. We are glad we did. We were welcomed back by the lovely staff and even though we were late for our reservation, were not hurried. Starters were fantastic, but the main course (roast beef with all the trimmings) was exceptional.

The title of my review states a 'return to form', however I would say that the standards far surpassed even the best roast I have had before at the 'shed. Chatting to the staff, it seems that there were a few issues raised some months ago with the Sunday roasts and that through hard work and taking on board customer feedback, they have perfected the art.

I have to say that although it is a tough call, The Cowshed has won back my personal award for best roast in Bristol (The Star and Dove, Totterdown coming a close 2nd!). Well done guys!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,552)

Reviewed January 14, 2013

A lovely ambience, good wine and ok service. But if you are steak connoisseurs like us, there are several other resturants that outshine this one by far. The steaks were a poor cut and poorly cooked.

Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Pretty much as per my title.. Excellent steak but be prepared to pay for it! Also the sides aren't the cheapest so all in all it's a pretty expensive meal.

Wouldn't definitely come again but my wallet couldn't afford to eat there too regular!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We visited the Cowshed in Clifton, Bristol on 6 January as a family for Sunday lunch (second visit in all) and it was excellent. The food is of superb quality and the restaurant has a great atmosphere and feel about. Overall a very pleasant lunch and would highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Having just had a fab spa morning locally with a friend we decided on a little lunch. Loads of the usual 'chain' restuarants around but we wlked past the Cowshed looking for something ...well affordable. Looking at this place from the outside I was convinced it was beyond my purse. My friend spotted the £10 - 3 course - lunch menu. An excellant choice of starters, mains and puds. The portion sizes were correct for the price and I certainly left the restuarant full. The waitress was excellant being able to tell us where the food was sourced etc - very knowledgable indeed. As my friend has her own restuarant in Wales she is not easily impressed !! She has alrerady said that 'we will do lunch here next time I come to Bristol next' Praise indeed.