“Nice post work drinks”

The Rummer Hotel
Ranked #301 of 1,576 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Tucked away in All Saints Lane in Bristol is the much-loved dining institution, The Rummer Hotel. This gorgeous, classic restaurant and cocktail bar is set inside a Grade II listed building, and with its forest green leather sofas, oversized open fire and historic cellar bar and dining room - the Hotel has a relaxed and welcoming home-away-from-home vibe. Perfect for weddings, group get-togethers and intimate dinner parties, The Rummer Hotel is independently run and the menu, created by a reknowned Head Chef, is filled with contemporary British dishes. The restaurant is popular on weekdays for brunch (don't miss the kedgeree or the The Rummer all-day breakfast) as well as providing a relaxed, sophisticated atmosphere for fine-dining in the evenings. A mind blowing array of fine spirits, and cocktail bartenders who know how to mix them, make The Rummer Hotel's cocktail bar one of the great classic bars, and a destination for cocktail lovers the world over.
“Nice post work drinks”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I went to the Rummer yesterday after work for my friends birthday drinks. I was really impressed with the atmosphere and service. Very good and extensive drinks list and I loved the open fire which was very welcome on a cold wet day. I will be back and would love to eat here.

• Visited November 2012

“Not recommended if eating”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I pre booked to eat here a few weeks in advance and told them that we needed to leave at a specific time.
Not only did it take them nearly one hour to get our food out they then looked down their nose at us when someone asked for tomato sauce to accompany their breakfast and gave quite a rude remark.
The food was good for "pub grub" but it was hardly fine dining so I don't know why they were so rude with the condiment request.
Some of my friends were still eating when we had to leave so our food was wasted due to the incredibly slow service.
I will never return after that experience.

5 Thank Jetsetter-c3
“Seasonal Excellence”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Myself and my partner have visited for the cocktail menu which is fantastic and also the food. A normal meal in the Rummer is always a pleasure, but the themed dining evenings are fantastic. Well worth the money and an entire evening of beautiful food every time.

• Visited October 2012
SWansea
“Bad service”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We didn't enjoy the Rummer Hotel. There was no obvious welcome from the staff as we entered, even though there were no other customers, and the staff were just standing around. After we sat down, the waiter came and took our order; we asked if the loud music could be turned down as we were the only customers and we wished to have a pleasant conversation without competing with noise. The waiter obliged, but within three minutes even louder music was played. Bad customer service! My friend then had a cocktail spilled all over his jeans, with an embarrassed apology from the waiter. My friend stayed very calm and exceptionally pleasant altho his jeans were now soaked; and it was raining outside, so the sun wasn't about to do it's bit upon leaving the premises. When the waiter brought a replacement drink, another member of staff accompanied him to apologise, but instead of offering a drink on the house which would have been the most gracious of offers, given my friend was now uncomfortable in his wet attire, he was curtly told to send in a bill for the dry cleaning! It was made to sound as if somehow it was his fault that his clothes were now soaked. I was stunned at such an uncaring and ungracious attitude. My friend remained polite, said no thanks, and we left. For the price of a cocktail, this member of staff was rude and offensive and we most certainly will not be going there again, nor would I recommend it to others on the bad customer relations service alone.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank Archie377
“Give it a miss”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I had a very bad 15 minutes in The Rummer Hotel. It was an afternoon and there was nobody in there apart from me and my two friends. Suddenly bad music was played seemingly for no-one's benefit but ours so we politely asked that it be turned off. My two friends are in their 70s so we hoped they'd understand that drum'n'bass wasn't really their thing. After a bit of weird attitude it was switched off only to be replaced with Fleetwood Mac five minutes later. This was strange - there was still no-one else in there - were they trying to drive us out.

We ordered two cocktails. The waiter dropped one all over me. He kind of apologised but got prissy when I suggested he return with another one and give it to us on the house. Reasonable, ya? He'd have to ask, he said. Then an even more irritating member of staff came to the table, the manager. She said blithely that I could send any dry cleaning bills I wanted (I was wearing jeans). I told her I wanted a discount. She said she would see what she could do and walked off. Minutes passed but there was no sign of her returning. I went to the bar and asked politely what was happening... she said she would give me a discount: it was all in hand she said. I told her I expected a free drink having had one poured all over me. She said she didn't appreciate me making demands. We left.

And then there were no people in The Rummer Hotel.

I suggest you give the place a wide berth.

I've been there before and found their cocktail makers to be very slow and the drinks aren't that great. That other bar - Hauzbar - the cocktails are twice as good and three times as quick to arrive. We went to The Rummer because we were in St Nick's market and just wanted somewhere a bit special to relax. Bit mistake.

Additional - why do some review say "For those who know..." the rummer is in the middle of a busy market so pretty much everyone who's been there know about it. Strange then that it was completely empty.

• Visited October 2012
6 Thank RonBrizzle D
guru2000, Manager at The Rummer Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
The following paragraphs are a response from the Manager on Duty. Our CCTV and sound recording has confirmed that it is an accurate portrayal of the events of that afternoon.......

After popping by during our very busy lunch service to see if we were serving cocktails, which we were, you informed me you would return later. Around 3pm you did return, along with two other guests. Upon your arrival, all lunchers had gone back to the office, leaving a lovely spot on the sofa by our open fireplace. You instantly asked the bartender to turn the music off (without even requesting or suggesting an alternative!) Upbeat bar lounge music was on – definitely not drum and bass, as I had put it on myself and cannot stand the stuff! Unfortunately, walking into a silent bar with no music or atmosphere is off putting for most people, and as you didn’t offer your own ipod or playlist, I opted to put on something a little more classic and “afternoony” (Fleetwood), turning the volume much quieter than it should have been, without being completely off. It seems we obviously have very different tastes in music....

After ordering 2 cocktails at the table: an Aviation and an American Breakfast, the bartender – who also happens to be a new addition to the team – set about carefully making your cocktails, albeit still in training, hence the slightly longer delay than usual.

When he then tentatively took them over to your table, the unthinkable happened – one cocktail toppled from the tray!
Luckily the table took the brunt, but nonetheless, the accident left a small 3 inch patch stain on your left knee.
Instantly you demanded a new cocktail (which of course would have been provided without question!) and also demanded it for free.

When the bartender went to get you - and the table - a cloth, and informed me of what had happened I went over immediately to apologise and to access the situation, as well as to let you know our policy of picking up dry cleaning expenses should any mishaps such as those occasionally happen... I then noticed the small patch on the knee of your jeans (which would more than likely have dried within 5 minutes next to that huge fire!) and when you aggressively demanded a discount from me, I deduced to comply based on what was reasonable in that particular situation.

I returned back to the bar quickly to make you a replacement cocktail, adjust the final bill (with an - in hindsight - generous discount) and even had some complimentary bar snacks ready to be brought to your table, when I then spotted you were stood in the middle of the room. You shouted across asking how long your drink would be and if there was a discount. I replied there was, and that the cocktail was almost ready to bring out to you. You then very arrogantly and pompously stated that you would only pay for one cocktail anyway. Your sharp attitude throughout the entire situation made me very uncomfortable and it became glaringly obvious that you were just looking to get your something for nothing. When I pointed out that I didn’t appreciate your demanding attitude, you stated you would be leaving, to which I replied “thank you”.

All I can say is; thank goodness it wasn’t red wine!