“Fantastic food, wonderful service!”

Ranked #5 of 1,987 Restaurants in Bristol
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We walked past on our way to somewhere else and I overheard the welcome given to a group of diners when they entered this beautiful restaurant, we carried on walking then thought "I' want to be welcomed like that" so turned around and we are so glad we did. Beautiful decor to go with the lovely service but even more importantly gorgeous, gorgeous food. Our party was a family of 5, including vegetarians and a "fussy eater". Every one of us loved what we had and shared so others could try, quote from fussy eater" that was one of the best meals I've ever had". We will be back next time we visit our daughter in Uni.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (437)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Fantastic restaurant, great service, delicious steak....great fun to cook to your own taste on hot stone with yummy butters. Well worth the trip from Birmingham!
Thanks for a lovely night out

Date of visit: September 2019
mugshotrestaurants, Manager at Mugshot Restaurants, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Clayton,

Thank you for being so kind as to leave a review and for making the journey from Birmingham! It was a pleasure to have you and your 3 friends dine with us on Saturday. Was very lovely to see you all get involved with the hot stone dining, we were pleased you enjoyed it so much. Something a little different and refreshing I hope!

Many Thanks,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

As a group of 4, we went to Mugshot last night to celebrate my Dads 60th birthday. Upon arrival our waitress, Amy, bought a glass of bubbly over which my Dad thoroughly enjoyed. Our waitress took the time to explain all the different options on the menu, and the different types of steak from that evenings specials. We ordered two porterhouses to share and cooked them ourselves on the hot stones. Great idea and a really nice ‘group’ activity as we shared the stones! The sides, sauces and butters were lovely too, and you’re able to swap sides for something else if you don’t fancy chips. One of our stones lost heat and was replaced without us even having to ask which was great. Afterward, the desserts were amazing too. Throughout the meal the staff were really attentive, topping up our wine and checking how the food was.

The restaurant itself has been decorated brilliantly, with huge chandeliers upstairs and luxurious seating. Downstairs is more intimate and although a little smokey, it adds to the atmosphere!

My only comment would be we really struggled with our time allocation (on Fridays you have 1 hour 45mins), and didn’t really enjoy our desserts as we felt rushed to finished them on time (although we only had 20minutes left when we ordered them so maybe it’s our fault for ordering desserts). We were reminded how long was left ‘on our table’ a few times during the meal, which did add to the sense of time-pressure. My mum is disabled and it did take about 5 minutes for her to walk to the toilet and back so perhaps that didn’t help too.

I was told about our time allocation when I booked, so it was our choice to go ahead with the booking knowing this. I did notice on a reply for one of the other reviews, that it sounds like it is possible to ask for the table for a longer duration of time. However when I asked what would happen if we hadn’t finished within our tables allocated time whilst booking, I was just told we could take our drinks to another bar, rather than offered to extend the booking. Unfortunately we did actually try to do this after Mugshot but there weren’t any tables available in bars in the immediate vicinity!

On reflection, perhaps this wasn't the right place for a ‘special occasion’ as it did mean we didn’t have time to have starters or a cocktail/coffee after dinner. However it if you’re after amazing food, great service and the steak on the stone experience, then this ticks all the boxes!!

1  Thank Charlotte G
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

An amazing experience.
Staff were phenomenal, so welcoming, knowledgeable, the camaraderie between them shone through.
Amy (general manager) was so lovely made time to talk, which is rare now a days at any restaurant.
The food was superb we had Camembert for starter the chutney that came with it was beautiful, it complimented the Camembert superbly.
My fillet steak just melted in your mouth, Gorgonzola sauce was not overpowering.
We will be returning to share the chateaubriand.

1  Thank Janerobs

Dear Jane,

Thank you for leaving such a lovely review, it was so wonderful to serve you and your partner yesterday (with Dee, your waiter). Truly a pleasure! It was nice to hear about the kitchen that you are a chef in as it sounds quite challenging so you must be very talented and experience. It takes a particular kind of brain to handle such hard work so we take our hats off to you.

Thank you for your compliments on the quality of our food, the Camembert baked inside the bread is quite special. The first time I had the opportunity I was also quite taken by it!

We shall look forward to having you again sometime soon, very excited for you to try the Chateaubriand.

All the best,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

You cook the steak on a hot plate. You choose the butter it's cooked in. You choose the sauce. What an experience and the steaks are excellant as well. Had a Camembert for starter which set the tone - superb. Downstairs has a fantastic atmosphere with soft lighting. Staff are so knowledgeable and ready to help. Can't fault it. Already looking forward to the next visit, think I'll be sharing the chateaubriand.

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review, it was such a pleasure to talk to you and your partner. You were both very interesting, really nice how you both understood a lot about hospitality and restaurants which always makes for very engaging conversation.

Our steak is sourced from Ruby & White’s who have served us very well for over a year since we’ve been open. The quality a long with our Sous Vide style of cooking prior to delivery the steak whether it is on the hot stone or not makes all the difference I feel.

Dee looked after you very well, she takes great care in her service and ensure customers really do get the most they can from their experience. We shall both look forward to having you again sometime soon!

Many Thanks,