“Fantastic”
Review of The Pump House

The Pump House
Ranked #328 of 1,987 Restaurants in Bristol
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Located inside a former pumping station, The Pump House boasts an enviable waterside location where the city docks meet the River Avon. The warm and welcoming interior is divided into a spacious bar and informal dining area, and an elegant upstairs restaurant. Chef and proprietor Toby Gritten, former head chef at Bell's Diner and The Albion in Clifton Village, is in charge of the frequently changing menu which features classic British dishes with a European influence. Everything is prepared on site using top quality ingredients like fish and seafood delivered daily from the coast and meat sourced locally wherever possible. The Pump House also offers an extensive wine and champagne list, as well as some excellent West Country ciders.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Great food including some unusual ingredients, loved the local courgette starter, Presented beautifully by lovely staff

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank janetoy105
Write a reviewReviews (611)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely drinks and a great selection of gin! Outside area was very pretty too. Sadly it was all ruined by incredibly rude staff. The bar closed at 12 and I went up to order a drink at the bar at 11 only to be told it had closed. No last orders had been called & we had gone there specifically for the extra hour. I asked why they had closed early and the barman told me they could close whenever they wanted and it had nothing to do with me. He then said I could have some crisps (then realised the tills had been cashed up) so instead of apologising, he told me he didn't want my money and literally turned his back on me! I have never been spoken to so rudely and it really did ruin my whole night.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 3, 2019

We visited here on a lovely sunny day and fancied a gin in the sunshine. My boyfriend ordered two double gins and one tonic mixer to share. Cost: £18. We thought that was on the expensive side but accepted it. We passed again on the way back and decided to pop in for another. I went up to the bar this time and ordered two single guns with one tonic to share. Cost: £12. I have tried the maths numerous times but it just does not add up in line with the first cost. The only thing I can think is that I was charged for two tonics. Either way, I was done.

Anyway we sat outside and enjoyed our drinks. I needed the toilet so walked in through the first open door when a woman shouted at me ‘excuse me!’ I turned around and she said ‘can you not use this entrance, we are running food orders through here’ I said I didn’t realise I wasn’t supposed to walk through there, to which she retorted ‘there are signs!’. I was taken aback but her abrupt, rude attitude and on my way back out (through the correct door) I looked carefully at the entrance that I had some through from the front - no signs whatsoever to say it was private or staff only.

If you don’t want customers to use an open door, you really need to make it clear! Rude, overpriced, unpleasant place that we will definitely not be returning to again. There are plenty more bars along the same stretch which are more friendly and more reasonable, there is no need to waste your money (and lots of it) here.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 31, 2019 via mobile

Had lunch in the pump house great food and a fantastic location

Great out door space when the sun is shining

Food was very nice and reasonably priced with the staff very attentive

Would recommend just for drinks but the food is also very good and makes this pub worth a visit - enjoy

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank 588nigelg
Reviewed August 29, 2019

We took shelter in the Pump House during a heavy downpour - it was rammed but the service and the beer was good - would go back next time in the area.

Date of visit: July 2019