“Fantastic”

The Star and Dove
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: On the corner of St Lukes Road sits The Star and Dove – a smart, welcoming pub and a favourite among Bristol’s young and trendy locals. Downstairs, there are two separate bar areas where you can lounge around on comfy sofas; while upstairs in the restaurant, the parquet floors, royal blue walls and huge windows create a bright and airy space. There are separate menus too, with the bar menu offering classic pub grub and the restaurant menu serving up top-class European cuisine. As if that wasn’t enough, the kitchen produces a seasonal tasting menu on the first Thursday of every month. There’s a great outside space, a concise wine list and a good selection of draught lagers – what more could you ask for?
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Delicious food, beautiful decor, great service. Also great value for money! Also lovely wine selection. The restaurant upstairs does visually stunning food that was all completely new to me :)

1  Thank Lisa B

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I went to the Star and Dove last night with some friends and we were not disappointed! we arrived and had some drinks in the bar downstairs and were then let upstairs to the restaurant. The menu is written in an "Olde English", the waitress was happy to explain each dish in detail. We were give a small appetizer, then we went on the the main event. the food is all of a very high standard and some of it is quite experimental, but all of it was delicious.

there is a fixed price for 2 or three courses which is very reasonable given the quality of the food, the wine was also very good and reasonable.

If you are looking for a new and different dining experience in Bristol, look no further!

1  Thank eaglevsshark86
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Anniversary dinner venue found by googling Bristol restaurant Michelin Star. What a find!
We ate upstairs in the panelled dining room. Super attentive service, not intrusive but really helpful in explaining the elements of the dishes on the menu. I enjoyed a starter of in-house-made curd cheese of buffalo milk with truffle, endive and honeycomb, while my husband ate the crab starter, We converged with carpet-bagger steaks and braised onions accompanied by Rioja and we completed our meal with the orange, cinnamon and brandy dessert followed by coffee. It was all rather special and totally tasty. Now I need another reason to return!

1  Thank Suzykay5
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My experience echoes that of 'Never again'. I booked for my birthday about six months early and when one of the chefs wrote in the diary mine was the first booking. As it was a special birthday, they were really good at agreeing a menu that I was happy with. Closer to the time, I asked if they wanted us to pre-order and they did, so my husband did a really helpful spreadsheet detailing which of the starters and mains each of the 33 guests wanted. We handed this in a week before the event.We agreed that my party would have the bar to the right all to ourselves and the S&D said they would put on a bar person just for us.

Fast forward to the event itself and we went earlier in the day to drop the cake off, put balloons up and put the place cards out. The tables were set for 29. I explained that the preorder list was for 33 so they then tried to find another table for us. The initial reaction was to put a table for 4 away from the other guests who were all on one table which I said I was not happy with so they squashed it with the other table. There were not enough chairs but said that another party would be finished by the time mine was started so these would be available.

7pm we arrrived. The welcome drinks were not there to welcome us, there was no bar person just for us and the bar people there were so busy I couldn't get their attention to ask about the drinks so I went upstairs to the kitchen. The sparkling wine did then appear with one person to help just with that. As all my guests had arrived by then, one of my guests ending up helping open the bottles, pour the drinks and hand them out. There was no note on the bar door to say it was a private party so a gatecrasher tried coming in and had to be turned around by one of my friends.

I waited for the staff to tell us when the starters would be ready because I didn't want everyone to be sat down for ages. We did get the nod about 1/2 hour later than planned but first had to find the missing chairs which had not materialised in fact we had less. Some people had to sit on bar stools. Both the starter and main took on the same theme, some people had theirs far earlier than others and had finished by the time others were starting. For the mains, the last beef dishes had no potatoes and despite holding off as long as possible, everyone took the decision to eat their meat before it got cold rather than wait for the potatoes. The separate veg arrived after some had finished eating.

There was no one on the bar just for us and the bar staff ended up directing people to our bar as it would be easier for them to get served so once again the exclusivity was gone.

We understood that there were at least 2 other parties in that night which must have been taken after my booking. I really feel that these additional bookings put my special night in jeopardy. The food when it did arrive was lovely but was far outshadowed by the exceptionally poor service. I've fed this back verbally to one of the chefs and owners. There were a lot of local people in my party and they really missed a trick that night in failing to impress. It is a very high risk business strategy thinking they can rely on the standard of their food alone.

4  Thank fredic
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My partner and I had heard only good reviews for this pub so after reading trip adviser thought it worth a visit . We really enjoyed our food and the experience so booked a table for 20 friends on the 22nd Dec pre theatre dinner. What a complete disaster . We ate downstairs in the Dining Room which was cold had no atmosphere was not at all Christmassy (we turned on the Christmas tree lights ourselves and dimmed the lighting )We then took a look at the menu !! Total surprise a revised menu with very limited options hardly any choice for the veggie in our party and no choice of side dishes at all, no veg no salad and were told only a few potatoes. !!!!! Also what was on the menu i.e mushroom they only had 6 servings left etc etc We had booked in Oct and I had spoken to the chef that day but they seemed totally unprepared for us. A few of my friends who were unable to get there on time had chosen their food from the web site menu I was then informed that those menus are just a sample and were not a option resulting in us having to ring our friends to get their choices very shambolic. We registered our displeasure at this time and would have left but not sure we would have found anywhere for the entire party of us. The food was finally served we asked for bread as a substitute for any form of veg. Two people had ordered white bait only one served when asked for the second dish was told they only had one serving left they did not tell us that a point of ordering and was now to late to re order and that person had to leave without food. A lot of planning had gone into this night and the Star and Dove managed to totally ruin the eve for us all instead of a nice relaxing meal before the theatre it was chaotic not professional and left us feeling really dissatisfied . I will never eat there again or will the rest of the party and of course would never recommend it ,in this economic climate to survive in business you have to try a good deal harder than the Star and Dove

6  Thank Debbie H