“Deffinitely a 'must try'”
Review of The Star and Dove - CLOSED

The Star and Dove
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: On the corner of St Lukes Road sits The Star and Dove – a smart, welcoming pub and a favourite among Bristol’s young and trendy locals. Downstairs, there are two separate bar areas where you can lounge around on comfy sofas; while upstairs in the restaurant, the parquet floors, royal blue walls and huge windows create a bright and airy space. There are separate menus too, with the bar menu offering classic pub grub and the restaurant menu serving up top-class European cuisine. As if that wasn’t enough, the kitchen produces a seasonal tasting menu on the first Thursday of every month. There’s a great outside space, a concise wine list and a good selection of draught lagers – what more could you ask for?
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Brilliant and daring idea! Recipes from the past cleverly presented for today.
The food was excellent, so different and unusual. In each course individual and unexpected flavours shone through, and all beautifully presented. Not every flavour was to our taste but if you don't try you don't know!
The service was at the same standard as the food. Very friendly but also informed and efficient.
If you 'live to eat' this is a real find, test your taste buds with the unusual ingredients and combinations, but not extreme enough to be scarry!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

What an incredible experience, downstairs appears to be your typical pub but upstairs is cuisine to be expected in a Michelin Star restaurant at twice the price. The concept of middle age food with a modern twist is so unusual but works so well. I can't wait to go back to sample the rest of the menu.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This place doesn't look much from the outside but get yourself in there for some food and you are in for a treat. The staff were extremely friendly nothing was too much trouble for them.

The food was top class. Really, really tasty and everyone finished their plates completely. There were a variety of dishes on offer and as a self proclaimed connoisseur of Sunday Roasts, I'd rate this one as almost as good as my grandmothers - and that is saying something.

Highly recommended to all.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have heard great things about this place and have had a drink here, but never eaten. I booked a table a week in advance, I am pleased I did, most of the tables were reserved. We went for the set menu, great choose and lovely food. Well worth it, really enjoyed the beef, my partner had Pork. All the meat could be eaten, no fatty bits left. The yorkshire pud was great, took up half my plate!
On the menu, there is a sides section all at £3 each, but our waitress informed us that the food came with veg, this was just in case we wanted more! We didnt, and the meal was more than enough! 2 meals and a few drinks came to £48, okay not the cheapest but it was a great lunch out and we will be back!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have now been to this pub/restaurant twice. The first time we had the British tapas menu (which was lovely - we especially liked the scotch eggs with the soft yolk in the middle!) and the second time a couple of days ago we went for the 'medieval / historical food' option.

It's a really interesting concept where the chefs have researched old recipes and then used the ideas in a more modern way. For example one of the dishes our party tried was the steak stuffed with goose liver which was on the menu of the coronation of King Henry the 4th (ie over 600 years ago).

In general all the party really enjoyed the food. It was very well presented with interesting flavour combinations and in parts quite delicious. Not all of the flavours worked 100% for me if i'm totally honest, and i'm not sure if this is because that's how the food was 'in the olden days' or if it was because of the modern interpretation. We found the food to be quite rich and we now realise why the well off used to get gout! The desserts were excellent and in particular we loved the one with gingerbread in it and the one with saffron and honey. I had the 3 course menu but I think next time (and I will be happy to go again) I will have a main and a dessert.

The party (6 of us) had 2-3 course meals, pre dinner drinks, wine with the meal (the wine menu was very good and reasonably priced), and after dinner drinks (port and whisky) and the price came to around £40 per head.

Of special note was the service which was friendly and attentive without being fussy and their knowledgable explanation of the menu was very helpful.

We came away sated and also feeling like we had a connection with the past, recommended.

PS others in the party have been on a Sunday and had the roast dinner - their verdict on this is excellent.

1  Thank AlisonS917