“Faultless breakfast. And I'm fussy.”
Review of Lockside

Lockside
Ranked #168 of 1,577 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Faultless breakfast. And I'm fussy.”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Two perfectly cooked eggs (runny yolk but no 'egg snot'), perfect bacon, big fat meaty sausage (but that didn't tip into dinner-with-mash-and-gravy sausage territory), loads of perfectly cooked chestnut mushrooms, 2 halves of tomato with no hard cold bits but still maintaining structural integrity, 2 rounds of toast with jam & marmalade AND they weren't perturbed when I asked for bubble & squeak instead of baked beans. Presented with consummate care and attention. Plus limitless really good filter coffee that wasn't stewed. All this for £8.95!

They have the widest, most imaginative breakfast menu I've ever seen anywhere (including 5 star hotels), but I can't see how I'll ever stray from the large Full English, it was the actual best breakfast I've ever eaten.

Great views, cool decor, efficient friendly staff...take note other breakfast establishments of Bristol: Lockside is in a different league.

• Visited June 2013

Clevedon, United Kingdom
“hidden gem”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Hubby goes here a lot with customers so he said we would go for brekkie.it was bank holiday Monday and we thought it would be quiet,no it was heaving.the owner found us a table as he knows my hubby.there were groups of young men,laughing and chatting,families,more than one generation.a lovely buzzy vibe.we ordered small english breakfast.lovely sausage with this.I had brown toast,just right and lovely bread.the menu had lots of different meals on it ,so plenty to choose from.even though it was busy,the staff were friendly and didn't hurry us.unusual location but think word is spreading about how nice this place is

• Visited May 2013
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Old transport cafe goes up market”
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Been in here a good few times for takeaway latte so thought we'd give it a try for a bit to eat whilst out for a bike ride in an effort to lose weight so I was hoping the food would be awful so we could get on with the weight loss but no, it was great.

Yesterday - latte (probably the nicest I'd had) and some toast which was a nice snack.

Today - thought we'd try the early bird breakfast, any breakfast with unlimited tea and filter coffee for £5.95, got in about 730 and the place was packed, I am pretty fussy so they were happy to swap my breakfast about to suit my taste, I was offered extra coffee without needed to ask, toast was included in the breakfast which we didn't actually get as I think they forgot due to being so busy, I didn't mention it and I know it wouldn't have been a problem but I was already full up plus I had to get back to do the school run.

Staff were great, very nice, helpful and polite.

I feel this is gonna be a regular haunt.

Those of you who remember it as a transport cafe, its totally different and would be a great place for business breakfasts lunches etc as you can park no problem and its just on the outskirts of bristol under the Cumberland basin.

Not sure if it has wifi, if it has, fantastic.

• Visited May 2013
Bristol
“If it didn't exist you would have to invent it...”
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Delicious food, great ambience. Location seems a bit mad on first glance, but makes perfect sense once you are inside. My favourite dishes are bacon, avocado & tiger bread, or anything with bubble & squeak

• Visited March 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“An absolute gem”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Having driven past the Lockside a 1000 times I have always wondered what sort of food was on offer and to what standard. Out of sheer curiosity my Wife and I were in the area a decided to give it a go for lunch. What a great decision. The welcome was great and the menu was varied and unique. The food we had on this occasion and now several more occasions was nothing short of fabulous. Perfectly cooked, subtle flavours and cooked to perfection. Can’t recommend this diner enough.

• Visited April 2013