“Poor, go somewhere else!”
Review of Giraffe

Giraffe
Ranked #315 of 1,616 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We wanted to create a friendly, welcoming place where a smile goes a long way! It's about exploring the wonderful foods from around the globe and opening our ears to music from around the world. Giraffes are so tall they see a different view of the world. We LOVE fresh ideas. Giraffe is operated by the original founders Juliette and Russel Joffe and Andrew Jacobs who all have an active role in the day to day management of the business. Giraffe was acquired in March 2013 by Tesco as part of its strategy to utilise some of the space in their larger stores, creating retail destinations that offer customers, in particular families, a compelling experience outside of their weekly shopping trip.
“Poor, go somewhere else!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My wife and I had lunch here. It was very busy so we expected a wait. Food took 30 minutes to come, which ok isn't too bad but it could have been quicker.

The main issue we had was the poor food. I had a burger with cheese £10.40. It was pathetic. We've had burgers from GBK many times for the same price and they are so much better. The meat was small, cutting corners to make more profit imo, and over cooked.The burger just wasn't worth £10.40. Ive had better burgers from a burger van!!!

My wife ordered the Mozzarella, Pesto & Grilled Veggie Focaccia Sandwich. It was also dreadful. The bread was over toasted and some parts were unedible. The mozzaella was ot exisitent and the portion was also small, not worth £8.25.

When we raised our concern the staff couldn't careless. Being english we don't like making a fuss, we just wanted to get out of there. Never to return!!!

• Arabic first
Burry Port, United Kingdom
“Excellent food & service”
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We visited here with our baby after walking out of a nearby restaurant. The service was faultless, vegetarian choice plentiful and food tasty and interesting. I ordered from the feel good menu which was excellent value and the starter ideal baby finger food. My older two children would have been well catered for if they had been there with a varied childrens meal.
All the staff made a fuss of our baby which she enjoyed.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Giraffic Jam...”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went to Cabot Circus in the centre of Bristol to meet my son and almost immediately, we fancied some lunch. There must have been something in the air, as it seemed like the entire population of Bristol was feeling a bit peckish at 13:25 on a Monday, resulting in a queue nearly everywhere. The queue with the fewest people was at Giraffe and we thought that was the best option. After standing there for 15 minutes whilst 8 staff ran around, we seriously considered leaving, or screaming, or both, but thankfully one of the staff spotted us and showed us to a table, narrowly avoiding foisting the spectacle of two screaming & crying grown men onto their other diners.

We both ordered 'Huevos Rancheros' and a bowl of skin-on fries accompanied by a diet coke. To be honest, it's pretty pointless comparing it to the real Mexican dish that inspired it, but it's hard not to. Yes, it was hot, but there was a rather pitiful amount of salsa and avocado on the toasted tortilla base. The fries were lukewarm (probably sat on the pass for too long) and overall, although the experience wasn't awful, it didn't fill me with a yearning to return. With coffee, the bill came to £32 and for a flour tortilla, some eggs, a small amount of salsa and some lukewarm potato, I felt a little aggrieved.

Famous for their loyalty card, supermarket group Tesco have just acquired the Giraffe chain. If they want customers to stay loyal to their new restaurants, they may need to up their game a bit.

london
“Lovely Breakfast”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went here for breakfast before a day of shopping. I’ve never been to Giraffe but I will definitely come again. The service was excellent, the staff very friendly. We both had the breakfast toasties which were absolutely delicious. I look forward to returning!

1 Thank steph d
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great if you have kids”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am a vegetarian mum with twin toddlers. Giraffe is amazing for me to negotiate my way around, to eat well and feed my kids at the same time, the staff are fantastic, the food is contemporary with loads of healthy choices. I love it in there. A little gem. A shame it is now owned by Tesco. Don't wreck it Tesco!

• Visited April 2013