“Service great! Managers not so...”
Review of The Living Room - CLOSED

The Living Room
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: At The Living Room our focus remains on sourcing the best quality ingredients, preparing them simply and delivering bags of flavour and texture on the plate. This is good, honest, robust and stylish food with its origins firmly in the European tradition with international touches. There is nothing frilly or fancy. A selection of Home Comforts - bangers and mash, fish and chips – are designed for easy eating yet there are also more elaborate dishes like 'Line caught yellow-fin tuna, seared and peppered with lemon aioli and baby herb salad'. Small plates - such as wok fried edamame beans or Italian olives – allow for casual snacking while sandwiches and salads enable one-course, easy and casual dining. All-day opening is designed to facilitate easy access and reinforces a core ethos behind The Living Room; you, the customer, is the one empowered to make decisions and we want to make it as easy as possible for you to do that, enjoy it and be comfortable.
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The servers were fantastic, but I found the managers were always telling them off for things, especially the female manager who talked down to them. Even if service was slow I could clearly see they were understaffed and making the lower workers more stressed. Poor sods. I work in a bar myself and know how understaffing can get people agitated, but how hard is it to rope in a few more people on a busy day such as a Saturday evening. you clearly need more than 2 bar tenders on a bar that size! I have even seen someone solo it.
My cocktails were great and the drinks were of the best quality, the gentleman serving knew what he was doing! and advised me on things. But I cant help but feel bad for them
Just get some more staff and less angry managers! Only complaint as the drinks and value was okay.
cant say much about the food because I didnt have it.

2  Thank Margret S

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Been here multiple times as big groups from work to drink and also for food and always really enjoyed it. The food is delicious and it's a great atmosphere too. Also went on my first date here with my boyfriend so it's good for all sorts!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

A modern, purpose built bar on the edge of Millennium Square, this is one of those establishment that has a relaxed and chilled out vibe during the day and then morphs in to more of a late night party venue, open until 1:00am on the weekends. It is a corner plot with large, full height windows all the way round and a few outside tables and chairs.

Inside it’s essentially all one open plan room with a writing desk in front of you as you come in. There is also a mezzanine level floor off to one side and a glass-sided bridge to the loo. The flooring is a pale wood strip whilst there is a mixture of cream wood panelling and plasterwork on the walls along with a small section of exposed brickwork just inside the door that was also displaying some artwork. Large mirrors for a backdrop to the bar and there appears to be something of an emphasis on cocktails at the expense of more traditional drinks. Seating was a mixture of high tables and chairs, leatherette bench seating and a Chesterfield sofa or two. A baby grand piano was at the rear of the pub, and apparently this is used by their resident pianist of an early evening, although there was no evidence of him when we arrived at around 9:00pm.

We didn’t eat on this occasion, but a glance at the menu showed a decent looking selection of “pub grub” dishes such as Fish & Chips, Beef & Ale Pie, Sausage & Mash etc., as well as a few slightly more adventurous dishes. These were mostly priced around £12 or so although some such as the Roast Monkfish were considerably more at £19.95. There were also drinks menus on the table and as well as an extensive cocktail selection you could buy a whole bottle of spirits. These seemed expensive, for example around £100 for a run of the mill gin such as Bombay Sapphire or Hendricks. If you were feeling really flush, you could always go for a bottle of Cognac at £2,500.

Unfortunately there were no ales on tap, real or otherwise. Even the “Bottled Beers” section of the menu listed predominantly lagers, with the only one that looked like ale being Meantime Pale Ale, although at the equivalent of almost £7 a pint, I don’t imagine they have too many takers. The cider selection was marginally better, although establishing exactly what was available was hard work. It was difficult to see the pumps on the bar, so I enquired what cider they had only to be told it was “Apple”. I thought I must have missed the part where he told me the brand, but no, it was just apple. After some further discussion with no sign of progress, he offered me a sample. It turned out to be the Swedish Rekorderlig which is a bit sweet for my liking, but at least it doesn’t have the horrible artificial sweetness of some brands.

He then poured us a couple of these, and both pints were well down from the top of the glass, so much so that I thought it must be an over-sized glass, although I couldn’t see a line. I enquired if it was over-sized to which he pretended not to understand what I meant. After some persistence, he suggested both that there should be a line on the glass but it had worn off, and then that the extra room was for the head, which I’ve never seen on a pint of cider. The next stage was to get him to pour it in to another glass which did have a line and it was then apparent that it was indeed a short measure. He grudgingly topped it up a little, but it was still not a full pint. This I found quite unbelievable – occasionally when asking for a top-up it might be done a little grumpily, but I’ve never had a barman blatantly argue about it before. Clearly the mantra that the customer is always right means nothing here.

Overall, I was quite disappointed with this. It is, I suppose, a nice setting, and it looks as though they may make a bit of an effort with the cocktails and the food, but the lack of any beer and the attitude of the barman really let the place down.

1  Thank Blackth0rn
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Went for Sunday lunch today and made was a bad choice of restaurant! We have been here a few years ago so thought it was a good option to meet a friend, oh dear what a mistake- Service was slow, lack of staff, chef shouting at the top of his voice for servers to pick up food which was very off putting whilst trying to have a meal and talk, food was mediocre at best with cold vegetables and meat that was like warm. When it came to paying the bill no question of how our food was or our experience, not good. We all have off days but this was just shocking. A lost customer!

4  Thank cameronmc
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Lunch on Saturday, steak £25 looked like a burnt beef burger. Pie, soggy and tasteless. Service was good, food overpriced and bad. Don't bother.

1  Thank MillierBristol