“Fantastic find”
Review of Tampopo - CLOSED

Tampopo
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: At Tampopo we bring you the authentic tastes of Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Japan and Korea through healthy, high-quality food at value-for-money prices with quick, friendly service.
Suffolk
“Fantastic find”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We were in Bristol taking my daughter to uni and chanced upon this as it was near our hotel. Although the styling is very similar to Wagamamas, there the similarity ends. The food was excellent- so much variety and good choice of vegetarian dishes (I had the Nyonya curry with tofu- absolutely delicious). Service was very friendly and the speed with which they cooked our meals was astonishing. I wish there was one near me, but will definitely go back again if visiting.

Falmouth, United Kingdom
“It's back on my hit list!!!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Went in here on an unexpected stop over in Bristol for a quick lunch.
I was recognised from previous visits which is always nice as I only visit maybe twice a year.
Had excellent drinks service and did'nt wait long for my meal.
Can't remember the exact dish I had but it was with chicken, noodles, spring onions and soy sauce. So much more flavour in it this time around.
Will definitely be visiting again when I'm back in the area.
Many thanks.

Exeter
“Nice alternative to Wagamama”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I got take away from the Cabot Circus branch of Tampopo on a rainy Thursday night. I was surprised to see that the place was really full and buzzing. Nonetheless my take away order took less than ten minutes to get to me.

I had the lime tofu with mushrooms. Tofu can be really bland but this was favourable and had a good varied texture. The garnish of coriander and peanuts added an extra dimension to the dish. I had a side of egg fried rice which was deliciously soft and well seasoned.

The service was understandably rushed but they were very efficient. It's a shame there weren't more vegetarian dishes on the menu that I fancied. I will go back the next time I'm in Bristol.

Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“Delicious and fresh food”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was our second visit and to our delight discovered that we get 25% discount (student). All was delicious and freshly cooked. Ingredients all fresh and tasty. Staff are friendly and surroundings are funky. Excellent midweek dinner.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“A great place to start exploring Oriental food”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Simple enough as it might seems, looking for a restaurant for the family’s night out at the cinema in Cabot Circuit is a challenging decision for a democratic family! With so many choices of cuisines available, we decided to try something different from our usual places and so we went for Tampopo; a Pan Asia restaurant specialising in noodles and rice delicacies.

With a refreshing and simplistic canteen style setting, the restaurant well lit and divided into several rows of communal tables with benches and an open kitchen. The ambience is informal and cosy resembling a street market with a hint of Asia flavour but yet it has the comforts as you would expect from a good high street restaurant. One of the interesting notes of this venue is the menu which is creatively laid out resembling a map of Asia. When you are choosing your starter and main course in a restaurant where the majority of dishes sounds unfamiliar can feel be a bit daunting. The atlas-like menu is really great in describing what the exotic dishes are; how hot and spicy it is and where it originated from. The experience of choosing your food here is actually a bit exciting as it feels like planning a holiday destination at the whim of pointing at the map.

The food selection is well covered to suit most appetites with a range of salads, rice, noodles and there is a kids menu. It is clearly popular with young families as there was a long queue waiting outside upon opening for lunch on the day my visit.

My friend ordered the Khao Soi, a northern Thai dish with yellow noodles with chicken breast in red curry sauce, which I was told that it was one of their most popular dishes. The blend of spices was perfectly balanced with lime and a hint of curry flavour. This was the first time we had curry with noodles and it was pleasant experience which is worth recommending to any curry lover.To help my food selection process, our waitress was really helpful in recommending which dish we should go for and to make sure it is not too spicy for our group’s tastes. Of course, our waitress was super helpful in letting know what some of the attractive dishes were from the neighbouring tables. I eventually decided on having the Chicken Pad Thai, a traditional Thai stir fried rice noodles which was a favourite of mine. The presentation of the Pads Thai upon arrival was quite really

Pad Thai

authentic and although the taste can’t really compare with what I have had when I visited Thailand, it was indeed delicious. The chicken was so tender and the rice noodles were well stir fried with lots of vegetables, but I felt the portion more could have been a bit more as a main course.

We also ordered a Junior Explorer dish for the little one and the chicken noodles with vegetable and soy sauce turned out to be a good balanced meal which helps to introduce kids to enjoy new foods. The taste seems a little too light as an introduction to kids but this is greatly complimented by the restaurant’s own tailor made chopsticks which is very easy to handle and use and is good entertainment the kids to learn how to use chopsticks. There are also drawing mats and colour crayons provided by the restaurant to keep the kids happy. Overall, although Tampopo’s dishes are a bit small across the board, it is still well worth visiting if you want to have something different from the usual. It is a very kids friendly place and unique amongst high street restaurants available today.

• Visited December 2012