“Horrible room, inept service”

Full Moon Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #10 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Bristol
Reviewed December 3, 2012

It is 4am, I am in a private room in the full mon hostel and I can't sleep. for dirty pounds a night, I could be staying in a basic hotel (eg. The clifton, the,Washington). They fail to address basic issues which would take the experience from a nightmare to poor but tolerable. For example, they have actually gone to some trouble to find the most uncomfortable bed they possibly can. I think they must hate their guests, or at least enjoy laughing at,their pain. The mattress springs protrude into my flesh and the bed frame makes a loud wiry noise every time I move. What really bothers me, however, is the smell of sweaty heads that had accumulated in the lumpy pillows that have clearly never been washed. The walls have dark splatters ask over them, and there is a creaky door just outside the room that is being incessantly opened and closed (I will go and ask the reception to oil it shortly).

also, for forty pounds a night I don't like having to share a bathroom sprinkled liberally with urine (outside of the places you'd expect).

Less within the control of the owners, but still a massive nuisance is the roaring and shouting guests in the room next door.

The staff told me parking would not be a problem and that I should park next door in ncp. This would cost me forty pounds, almost as much as a parking ticket if I were to just leave my car somewhere I shouldn't. Again, out of their control but I feel misled by their info.

The reason I returned to this hostel is that last time, I had quite a basic but nice room (room 'a') with an en suite shower for exactly the same price. I am told this room had been given to 'a non paying guest who is a local artist, because he keeps setting off smoke alarms in the other rooms'. I see.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank 186220Ellenb
Full M, Manager at Full Moon Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2015

We are very to sorry to hear about what sounds like a less than enjoyable time at the Full Moon backpackers. Our team would like to invite you for a return stay at our hostel as we feel that your description does not adequately represent the typical Full Moon experience. Much has changed since you stayed with us and we have undergone substantial refurbishment and redecoration, as well as many other improvements.

There are newer reviews for Full Moon Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hostel was cheap and our room was clean, but apart from that it was a disappointment. Barely any of the showers worked and those that did were in bad repair, dirty and rusty. The staff seemed snobby and disorganised. They got our reservation wrong, and we didn't get the room we paid for (we booked a 6 person dorm just for our group of girls and got a 10 person dorm sharing with others on the second night). While the larger room was okay in the end, it was still annoying that they didn't really make any effort to get us into the right room. No seperation of male and female toilets meant a horrible drunk guy came onto my friend late at night in the toilets - you just don't want to be dealing while you're brushing your teeth! The room was okay, clean and felt fairly safe, but it was freezing cold. Threadbare and holey covers didn't fit the duvets and the mattresses weren't comfortable. It was hard to get to sleep with the combination of very cold temperature and very loud music and voices outside. I know this is a very inexpensive place / not luxury / etc etc, but I've stayed in a good few cheap hostels and this one was still pretty low on the list. Just felt like there was an overall air of neglect and not caring.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank TheWandererReturns7
Full M, Manager at Full Moon Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2016

Our team here at the Full Moon are naturally very disappointed to hear that your last stay with us was an unsatisfactory experience. Understandably it brings us great dissatisfaction to think that previous visitors have departed from our hostel with a less than positive opinion of our establishment. As we strive hard to ensure that each guest is guaranteed a comfortable and friendly duration of time with us, this is something we would take pleasure in resolving. Whilst our staff are always happy to try and address any complaints immediately and we always encourage feedback from our guests. It would seem that at the time you stayed with us our hostel was a very different place. Since your stay, we have undergone significant transformation. Improvements include new facilities, new décor and even complete refurbishment of some our old dormitories and rooms. We would love for you to come and see our new hostel, particularly as we have worked so hard on creating an environment which we believe is exemplary for our guests. Sincerest apologies! The Full Moon Backpackers welcome you for a return visit anytime you should wish to do so!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Well what can I say!! Where to begin. Firstly the mattresses are so bad the princess and the pea wouldn't have stood a chance. Secondly the duvets are so thin I was freezing for most of the night and thirdly it's been a while since I was given a duvet cover with so many holes at the seams it was hard to tell top from bottom. Despite having booked several days in advance we were unable to stay two consecutive nights in the same room meaning we effectively had to waste time packing our stuff up after the first night, putting it in a store room while having to check out at 11am only to be told we couldn't check in again till 3pm. There was no attempt by the reception manager to try and clean the room any earlier and we were left effectively with no room for 4 hours and no apology from the manager. On our return in the afternoon to check in again we were met by a sullen and unapologetic manager and then found out there would be a party till 4am meaning our room would be unsleepable till then!! Shame no one had told us this in advance. All in all our stay has been made up if lots of small things that are singularly mildly irritating but add up to make an unpleasant stay. I would not recommend this place to anyone!!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Cushionh
Full M, Manager at Full Moon Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2015

Our team are upset to find that your stay was not satisfactory and we can only offer our sincerest apologies for this. Guarantee of staying consecutive nights in the same room without changing is subject to availability, therefore we strongly recommend that if this is a major concern guests book as far in advance as possible. Because it is essential that rooms are clean and presentable following others checking out, we must always allow significant time to prepare and clean the rooms before others are allowed to enter. Occasionally we are happy to make alternate arrangements, but only if this is actually possible and does not compromise our standards. Whilst we would have appreciated any feedback immediately at the time, our team recognise that it was a long time ago that you stayed with us. Many improvements have been made since and our team would love to welcome you for a return stay. There are alot of changes and improvements to see!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Ok, so it's a centrally based hostel and it's fairly cheap. This however, does not excuse the standards found at the Full Moon.

I booked the twin room at £40 for the night. The girl on reception was very warm and friendly and so I had high hopes for the place. I was shown to my room, with a front door right on the hostel/pub courtyard. It was a cold, bland, dimly lit and smelly room with two single beds and a bedside cabinet. It was raining heavily outside and interestingly enough inside too, as water poured through the ceiling onto one the beds. This appeared a longstanding problem judging by the damp and mold. The beds themselves were ridiculously uncomfortable, without proper mattresses, instead inch thin, very heavy (and stained) 'futon style' on a cheap wooden frame. The bedding was in poor condition too, with just an old thin quilt which was nowhere near warm enough.

I tried to settle down at about 11pm only to be kept awake for hours by very loud music from the adjoined club (not mentioned when I made enquiries). This was compounded by the fact that there appears to be a smoking area literally outside the room. This meant at about 1am there were four or five people leaning against my window talking, shouting and laughing for what seemed like hours.

I eventually got to sleep at about 5am, with the hope at least of a lie-in. Again, I was out of luck as the staff working the morning shift congregated in the smoking area from about 7:30am onwards. Ahhhh!!!

So, in summary, yes it's a fairly cheap option but that doesn't mean offering conditions on a par with a Thai prison! Judging by the amount of negative comments here I'll assume The Full Moon are more than aware of their shortcomings yet obviously don't give a ****.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank RumpoleBailey

It is a great shame to us at The Full Moon to hear you were so displeased with your stay last time you were with us. Whilst we would like to draw attention to the fact that at the time which you visited it was a very different establishment to the place we are now. Our hostel has since undergone an extensive refurbishment and redecoration, as well as many different alterations in order to ensure it is an efficient and comfortable service. Although we are situated in one of the busiest and most colourful areas of the city, substantial efforts are made by staff to ensure that the experience is satisfactory for our guests. Our team encourage and take on board any customer feedback, therefore we would more than welcome you to return to our hostel in order to compare and contrast your previous visit.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Am currently staying here for a night and its shocking!!! Tramps have better facilities and conditions! Honestly thinking about going to sleep in the minibus its that bad! As previously stated, beds shocking, cleanliness shocking, smell terrible!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Marcjuleff

Reviewed August 5, 2012

If you have the chance to stay somewhere else just run! We had an awful stay in a moldy and dirty twin room. I'm still coughing from all the black mold! The beds where dirty too, with lots of stains and bits on the mattress. The window was closed but did not prevent the loud music from getting in (until 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning). The rubbish bin in our room was already full when we arrived and the whole room looked like it had never seen any polish or vacuum cleaner. Our bathroom door couldn't be closed because the handle was broken. After check out I went to the Ladie's and 2 out of 3 toilets couldn't be locked.
I would definitely not recommend this Hostel!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank insel12

Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was fine for a fun weekend in Bristol. If you're used to more quality establishments then you will hate it. If you need a cheap, clean bed in Bristol for a night and will be enjoying the lively nightlife that surrounds the hostel then you could do far far worse.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends