“Lovely Christmas lunch!”

The Birch at Woburn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Birch at Woburn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 20 Restaurants in Woburn
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Birch is a family owned restaurant and bar of individual style, set on the outskirts of the prestigious ancient market town of Woburn in Bedfordshire. At the Birch we are passionate about sourcing the freshest ingredients from farms and estates throughout the country, cooked by our team of talented, highly qualified chefs.We pride ourseleves on looking after our customers and have gained a repuation for offering excellent fresh food all delivered with a friendly smile in a welcoming environment.The Birch is the perfect place to socialise with friends, entertain clients or meet up for a special family occassion.
Milton Keynes
“Lovely Christmas lunch!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We had our office Christmas lunch here last year and it was one of the nicest ones we have ever had! I wanted to go again this year but we left it too late to book! Have been here on other occasions as well and the food was just as good.

London, UK
“Food nothing special, great service”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I'd heard people raving about this place, so my partner and I went one mid-week evening. It's beautifully decorated inside and the staff were fantastic - really couldn't fault the service. We had three courses each. My parter thought his ham hock for main was absolutely amazing - to be fair, if he was writing this review, he would give a higher score than I am doing. My soup was lovely, but the vegetarian platter I had for main tasted really quite horrible, although it was presented very well. There was a lot of confusion about the size of wine glass that was considered 'standard' - we didn't think 250ml was a standard size glass... but anyway, that's a minor point.

Our desserts were probably the biggest disappointment. The baked alaska got me excited - hadn't made those since I was a little girl! - but it wasn't baked, just uncooked egg white blasted briefly with a blow-torch. Not nice. My partner said his was okay but they were quite expensive and we just expected higher quality. I probably wouldn't go back, but then lots of other reviewers seem to love it, so maybe it's just not so good for vegetarians like me!

• Visited February 2013
James C, Owner at The Birch at Woburn, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your vegetarian platter. The Birch vegetarian platters are usually excellent and I apologise if this was not the case when you visited.

We have a number of regular clientele who are vegetarians or who have specific dietary requests and todate we have received no other adverse comments regarding the content. However, I will certainly speak to the chef regarding producing platters which are suitable for all palettes.

With regard to the standard size glass for serving our wine, we have always used a 250ml glass since operating The Birch over 15 years. However, if customers wish to have wine served in a 175mi glass this is not a problem and we are happy to accommodate customer requests.

I am also sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the Baked Alaska. However, the meringue is only cooked in the oven for a short time and is a soft meringue not a crisp one. However, that does not excuse you not enjoying your dessert and I will discuss with the kitchen team how your Baked Alaska was cooked.

I do hope that you will visit us again to enable us to portray our usual excellent standard of food that The Birch is renowned for.
“Fantastic Meal - couldn't fault it...”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Visited on a busy Saturday night - had to book a month in advance to get a table for our party of 6 at 2030hrs) but the way the tables are set and the lay out of the restaurant, it didn't feel crowded or too noisy.
Were told about today's specials - lots of fish dishes - and left with menus to look at. There was always someone nearby to explain anything we were unsure of.
Starters were all good although the battered halloumi, although delicious, was probably a 'heart attack' waiting to happen. Ate it minus the batter. A caeliac in our party was told most options were ok for him and his started of potted beef came with a special wheat free roll, which we thought was nice.
For main you can choose off the varied menu and they have a griddle section - steaks, sea bass, crevettes, and you get 2 sides with this. I had sea bass (3 of us did), 1 skate wing and 2 different steaks. I chose the market vegetable side and french fries - delicous mixture of veg and generous portion of fries.
I shared a dessert - sticky toffee pudding with banana and banana ice cream. Amazing! My partner had cheese and biscuits and this was a very generous portion that he couldn't finish.

All in all, a great experience. Its not the cheapest of places but I definitely think we got what we paid for. Will be back and will make sure I book in advance!

• Visited February 2013
James C, Owner at The Birch at Woburn, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion regarding your recent visit to The Birch.

We do aim to please all our customers and are delighted to hear that we achieved this on the day you visited.

Although we may not be the cheapest restaurant, our prices are keen, especially as we only use fresh ingredients, many locally sourced, helping to support small businesses in the area.

We look forward to seeing you again at The Birch

Once again, many thanks
Padstow, United Kingdom
“Sad”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Eaten here and The Black Horse at Ireland many times, have to say the standards of food and service at the Black Horse now far exceed The Birch. Both restaurants are always busy and have lots of repeat business but I have to say the last couple visits to The Birch I have been disappointed with the food and the abrupt and sometimes arrogant service of the waitresses who often seem under pressure. Will be a little while before we return.

3 Thank louisejlk
Hello Louise

Sorry to hear that you believe that the standards of food and service have recently slipped at The Birch.

I would like to reassure you that I am speaking to all the team at The Birch to ascertain what went wrong on the day you visited.

I would welcome the opportunity of speaking to you personally. Can you please contact The Birch on 01525 290295 and leave your contact details for the attention of James Campbell.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Bedfordshire
“Lovely restaurant and bar is nice to sit and relax in”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Lovely restaurant and bar is nice to sit and relax in, but I didn't find the food that great to be honest. Service was good, but the food in my opinion was just average.

Visited October 2012