“A genuine surprise”

Woburn Abbey and Gardens
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Woburn
More attraction details
Owner description: Woburn Abbey has been the home of the Earls and Dukes of Bedford for nearly 400 years and is now home to the 15th Duke and his family. Alongside the world class collection of art, the house contains the fascinating stories of the people who have shaped the history of both the Abbey and the nation; including the ‘creation ‘ of Afternoon Tea. The Gardens, with a twenty year restoration programme, are of equal splendour with 28 acres of Repton designs to be explored and discovered.Throughout the year Woburn also hosts a series of events including: classic cars rallies, The Woburn Abbey Garden Show, summer theatre, the country fair, vintage airplane rally and autumn deer walks.
Reading, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A genuine surprise”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have a short attention span, so a tour of a stately home is not something that filled me with anticipation. However I stand to be corrected. We had a private tour of the house as it was part of our evenings entertainment. Our guide was obviously passionate about the house, had a vast amount of knowledge and was areal story teller, it was a great experience and the house and the grounds are truely spectacular. I am not sure how a normal tour goes, but I would recommend a guide and if you can ge a private tour, all the better, a fabulous way to use up an hour!

Visited September 2013
Woburn_Abbey, Manager at Woburn Abbey and Gardens, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Marc G,

Woburn Abbey is lucky to have a team of people who are passionate about the House, the art collection and the stories associated with the family. It appears that your guide was able to share that passion and make your visit a great one!

I am so happy that this is the case as, with or without a guide, there is so much to see when visiting Woburn Abbey. But as you say our guides really do help to make the house feel alive. My one regret is that you were not able to see the Gardens when you came. They are definitely worth coming back to see.

I do hope you will come back again.

Yours sincerely,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Unexpected Charm”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had time to spare and we had visited the Safari Park several times and wanted something different, so we went to the Abbey. We used the Audio Guide (one between us was fine) and this provided all the information we required to make our visit worth while. We were lucky in that some of the private rooms were open for visits so we had very good value for money. We had lunch in the café with very good soup and a drink.

1 Thank John C
Dear John C,

Thank you for your review of your visit to Woburn Abbey.

It appears you were able to make the most of your time in the house and enjoyed seeing the Private Apartments. I am delighted that the Audio Guide meant you were able to learn about the house and the collection as there is so much to see.

Equally, my thanks for your feedback about the Tea Room. I shall pass on your kind words about the soup (that is made by our chefs).

I do hope you will come and see us again soon.

Yours sincerely

California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Very nice on a warm day”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Beautiful grounds, very well kept. The house is very interesting as most Stately homes. So much to see give yourself plenty of time if you are into the history. Now the Tea Room has a lot to be desired as far as the service was concerned. 45 mins in line for prepared food. Disorganized as they come!

If you are a senior or disabled ask for the discount. The carer of a disabled person get in at the same rate as he disabled person. They have electric scooters which make it enjoyable is mobility is an issue.

Overall an excellent day!

Visited September 2013
Woburn_Abbey, Manager at Woburn Abbey and Gardens, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Uptowngal12,

I am so glad that you enjoyed an 'excellent day' when visiting Woburn Abbey and Gardens. Equally, it is kind of you to comment as to the fact the grounds are beautiful and well kept. The teams in the Abbey and the Gardens work hard , all year round, to ensure everything is well looked after and as well presented as possible!

I also note your comments as regards the queuing problems you had and will review this with my colleagues. Thank you for drawing our attention to this.

Once again, our thanks for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Woburn Abbey soon.

Yours sincerely

Bedford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Woeful time at Woburn Abbey”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Despite a beautiful autumn day our trip to the deer park and the house today was dismal. The abbey contains many treasures but is a soulless interior and the numerous dodgy photographs of the current duke, his wife and children do little to convince the visitor that the rooms are loved and lived in. Room guides were not knowledgeable though pleasant enough in contrast to the rest of the officious staff (tea room and grounds). The place has the air of the "stately homes" I remember from my childhood when visitors were a barely tolerated economic necessity. There is very little information available unless you buy the guide book (which I didn't shell out for so can't comment upon ) and despite seeming some interesting paintings and a few fine pieces/rooms eg the state bedroom I don't think I had my £14's worth. Despite living on the doorstep I won't be going again anytime soon. And for those visitors who prefer the tea shop and the gift shop to the works of art - don't bother, you're better off in Costa and the high street. I gave this a poor and not a terrible simply because of the grounds - but don't expect to enjoy these, you are confined to the paths and if you mis-step you can prepare for a dressing down from the hired help.

2 Thank DeliaShephard
Woburn_Abbey, Manager at Woburn Abbey and Gardens, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear DeliaShepherd,

I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit to Woburn Abbey. As you rightly say, the house, which is very much a family home and one into which visitors are very much welcomed and encouraged, is full of treasures. Whilst I hope these were of interest to you, this year alongside these treasures and included within your Abbey ticket, we have also hosted a very popular exhibition "Strictly Dancing Dresses at Woburn". I am also sorry you felt there was not enough information in the rooms, as each room does contain individual booklets about the items on display. Equally, the room guides are always delighted to answer any questions visitors may have. Additionally we do offer Guidebooks to purchase and these guidebooks include a complementary audio guide.

The Deer Park contains a number of signed and maintained public footpaths and we encourage visitors to explore these paths as, especially with the changing of the season, they offer a fantastic opportunity for photographs. The Park is home to a great many deer and we seek to provide them with the safety and security they require - this is especially true during the breeding season. It is for this reason that we do ask visitors to remain on the footpaths. Of course, within the 28 acres of Gardens you are free to roam where you please and discover a great many things, including the Aviary, the Grotto, the Children’s Garden and much more. As regards the Tea Room and Shop we are always looking to provide a unique, pleasant and friendly experience for all our visitors and thus I can assure you that we take your comments about both seriously.

I hope we can welcome you back to Woburn Abbey in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

132 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Great Place”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have visited here many times over the years and always find something else to spot in the house or the grounds.

Keep up the good work

Visited September 2013
Woburn_Abbey, Manager at Woburn Abbey and Gardens, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear StuartB1962,

It is great to hear from visitors who enjoy coming back to Woburn Abbey. Inside the Abbey and across the Gardens, everybody works hard to make sure people enjoy their visit(s) to Woburn. The last few years have seen us undertake a significant restoration programme in the Gardens and there is still plenty left to do!

We do hope you will continue to come and visit Woburn Abbey & Gardens and thank you for your kind review. It is much appreciated.