“Quite Terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The White Mughal

The White Mughal
Cuisines: Indian, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: The New Inn is an attractive 16th century coaching inn, set in a secluded corner of Herefordshire. It has been recognised as 'Midlands Family Pub of the Year' and 'Winner of Best Pub' in 2008. The lounge bar and dining room are enhanced during the colder months with huge inglenook fireplaces which crackle to the sound of burning logs. The extensive beer garden overlooks the rolling Herefordshire countryside, the views stretching to the Black Mountains in the distance. Recently refurbished yet retaining a mixture of furnishings, the ambience is that of bygone age, a world away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but with the quality and standard you would come to expect. Special events include live music, Fabulous fresh food, including the all day breakfast, great wine, real ales, a friendly welcome from the team all await you.
Le Tatre, France
“Quite Terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

The worst meal I have ever been served in a pub.

We called at the New Inn for lunch. There were no other customers and the young barman was cheerful and friendly. We ordered drinks and looked at the menu. A young man with CHEF written on his overall was close to the bar and I asked him if he had personally made the Beef and Ale pie. He confirmed that it was home made and that he had made it and so I ordered this and we sat down with our drinks.

A family came in with two small children. The children were really too young to be there, they were noisy and every so often a 'top note' scream emanated from the youngest. The parents asked if the TV could be switched on so that this might distract the children. We now had a large noisy TV and two noisy children in a small bar! Conversation between my son and I ground to a halt!

The food came to the table. It was hot - but that is all that could be said for it. If I had cooked the meat pie I would have been thoroughly ashamed to serve it. The meat was tough, lacked flavour, was under-cooked, under seasoned and tasted of Bisto!! The pastry was not home made and the whole thing had been heated to death in a microwave - it was just a thick gloopy mess!. It looked and tasted tasted quite disgusting and I left my meal.

The barman asked if we were happy with the meal and when I told him how unhappy i was wanted to know what was the matter. He seems surprised by my reply. We left the pub very quickly and we shall never return.

The pub is run by Marstons and,when I have completed this I shall be writing to their Head Office to complain. It isn't good enough to serve this kind of awful food and expect people to just accept it and pay up!

• Visited March 2013

Herefordshire
“Caveat!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was one of those pubs that was always a reliable place for good beer, good food and and good ambiance. Sadly, the excellent tenants in place until the end of last year have left, through illness. Since then, the holding company for Marstons have put in a series of tenants, none of whom appear to have been able to stay for long, as Marstons have now closed the holding company and have plans to run it themselves. So look forward to a corporate 'make-over' the laminated menu cards, the frozen food served up in a series of concepts along the Wetherspoons lines, and yet another lovely 16th Century pub will no longer be run by people who have, until now, been able to run this with an individualistic style that worked. Probably best avoided.

• Visited November 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Going down hill fast! :(”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Going down hill so fast, being looked after by a pub company that employees people who have no idea what their doing.. Enough said!

1 Thank Flower9999
York, England
“Such a Shame”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

A year ago we were spending a few days in the Hereford area and came across The New Inn, as it looked lovely from the outside, so we decided to have an evening meal there. The pub was even better on the inside, very oldie woldie, full of character and to top it all the staff were so friendly they were treating us as though we were locals. The food was excellent, I had good old chicken and chips and my husband had an ale pie, it was good old fashioned, hearty pub food.
We also noticed they did accommodation so we said we’d love to return again and stop a couple of nights.

About a month ago I rang them to see if there was a chance of a room and they said they had just taken over the pub as the previous landlord had died earlier this year and were doing up the rooms, but they would be available for the end of August when we wanted it. I was a bit hesitant at actually booking because now there was a change of ownership things might not be as good, but we took the chance.

Oh dear, wish we hadn’t bothered. I don’t think the rooms had been used for months because when they gave us the key it didn’t even fit the room (and there are only 2 rooms), they said that was the key that was on the keyring when they moved in, not a good start. When you look at the website it lists the facilities in the room, well most of them were not available when we stayed. There wasn’t even a dustbin anywhere in the room or bathroom, no bubble bath, (you had to have a bath as there was not a stand up shower), it also listed ironing board, hot water bottles, books, magazines, a digital radio/CD player and TV/DVD player, none of which were available, apart from a basic TV. They didn’t come in to clean the room the next day or top up the meagre supplies of tea and coffee. So we had the same cups and saucers for 2 days. I used the complimentary shampoo as the bubble bath the night before so obviously we had nothing for the next day. I personally think that we were being lied to and infact they weren’t doing the rooms up, they just hadn’t been used for months and needed to freshen them up. Well why couldn’t they have just been honest about it and told us the rooms weren’t available??

That aside we had our evening meal there, but half the menu wasn’t available, apparently it was the chef’s night off and he hadn’t re-ordered anything, or so we were told. In the end I had an under cooked gammon and my husband had an ale pie, which he said wasn’t bad, but not as good as he’d had previously. The “landlord” wasn’t what you expect a landlord to be and was very amateurish, when he served us our meals, my husband asked for another pint, 10 minutes later he had to get up and ask for it again as he’d forgotten. There were other people having meals aswell and one particular family had to wait about 90 minutes before they got their meal. We went somewhere else the 2nd night, The Garway Moon just down the road, fantastic place.
Breakfast wasn’t a success either because she didn’t take our order, she just plonked 2 cooked breakfasts in front of us without asking what we wanted. I don’t like mushrooms or tomatoes and can’t eat eggs, but all of that was on my plate so I had to transfer it all to my husband’s plate. I made do with toast, but only marmalade was offered, which again I don’t like, no jam or honey as an alternative.

I think the problem is, they are just “locum” landlords, they really can’t be bothered and their hearts aren’t in it, so they really don’t care what service they provide. They’ve only been there 10 weeks and don’t want the permanent lease, so are there until someone else takes it on. Trouble is it might be too late, because people won’t return, I know we won’t.

• Visited August 2012
West Midlands
“They bit off more they they could chew, something for us to chew would have been appreciated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Plumped for this Inn for its ideal location. It is appealing from the outside with a fantastic view from the ample car park at the back and very old inside, We were told on booking could we come half an hour later than the desired time as the restaurant was taken over by a big party of 15 but we could eat in the bar. That should have set the alarm bells ringing but we needed to be in that area.
We arrived at 7.20pm and didn't see sight of anything to eat till 8.50pm. The other diners who ordered starters did but they waited a long time also. We declined the offer to order olives and more drinks. Then two of us took up the offer of a free drink, the complimentary hand pumped beer was good but the wine was rough and sour. Each time the waitresses offered an excuse the big party had finally inflated from 15 to 25. Were they breeding in there we wondered?
It gave me time, too much time to study the ancient interior, a giant fireplace with bread ovens that they could have made more of with two ingle nooks, a collection of horses bits, local photos, the big fat dog we had straddle over to get to the bar, the smirks from the locals who had been there all day. I ordered the duck, the smiley waitress quipped, you want a whole duck? We also ordered medallions of pork in cider sauce and steak and chips. I was told the duck would take half an hour to cook as it was all cooked from fresh, this thought outweighed any misgivings I may have had. You only need to cook part of him I quipped back, but she didn't get the joke, I saw why later. We asked for no carrots peas or cauliflower as the waitress didn't know what vegetables were on offer, we did order chips and dauphinoise potatoes. She got very confused as we asked if there were any beans to be had. When the food did eventually arrive it was not good. They had ran out of dauphinoise so we chose sautéed potatoes instead which we all shared as the chips never came at all. The small portions of vegetables = shredded cabbage, fine beans and carrotts, yes they brought carrotts which were cold and a bit firm, the unpeeled courgettes were just blanched. A 2nd dish of fine beans arrived and they were hot. They had not been topped and tailed though. The duck was tough as old boots and tasted earthy, though the plum sauce was nice, the waitress did asked so I told her, well you asked for it well done, she said. she was not so polite, I said no I asked for it not pink, she did not believe there was an in between. We also complained that the medallions were tasteless and dry and the sauce was lacking. The 3 waitress apologised and re apologies with the excuse of the growing big party and having only one chef, and well, she raised her eyebrows, the chef! Poor chef I thought. One of us had gone past eating but felt feint. The steak was good but as I said the chips never came, we think the people on the next table got them. They offered us free puddings which we accepted, Caramelised cheese cake, treacle tart and apple pie which were all first class we didn't wait for coffee as by now it was 11pm and we were expected somewhere else a hour earlier. We felt sorry for the people who still had not eaten. A local smoking outside told us the pub was up for rent and 2 sisters were managing for now. I hope that they don't get the tenancy as the place is deserving of someone with more experience and people skills.

• Visited July 2012