“Shipley Gardens Holme Lacy Hereford”
Review of Shipley Gardens

Shipley Gardens
Reviewed April 8, 2014

If you like your garden all in rows and standing to attention this place is not for you. But for the growing body of people who understand the importance of living with wildlife this is a magical place.
I admit it needs some work, but too much would spoil it. Do not go with a car too low to the ground as recent heavy rains have made the drive down a bit rough to say the least. If you can see past the fact the "tea rooms" are not the usual sterile purpose built unit. In fact they are a massive greenhouse with a swimming pool inside! The pool and greenhouse could do with some work, the frogs and toads have taken over the pool which is brilliant, perhaps a bale or 2 of barley straw would clear the green water. The area where the tea and cakes are served is very clean, the homemade cake we had the orange & carrot cake was delicious beautifully moist. A robin flew down and ate some crumbs, he waited for the carrot cake as well. The tea and coffee were quality and hot and the delightful owner informed us she was 73! It was her husband who greeted us at the entrance. The grounds could do with a good carpenter to fix some of the beautiful old seating, hidden tree houses & huts. The signs explaining the planting have not stood the test of time, pity they looked like they were interesting. It would be a shame for someone to over garden this wilderness. If it wasn't for these over zealose health and safety laws it would make an exciting place to play hunt the easter egg or hide and seek for children. Really quite place - ideal for a writer I would have thought there was one other visitor and this was busy! There are peacocks and pea hens wandering around my sister and I loved it! I think there is a fee for it but we had 2 pieces of carrot cake a coffee and a tea for under £10 You could do this in less than an hour but it's nice to take your time and enjoy. This is not for everybody, but we enjoyed it. Don't compare to other gardens it is totally different. There is a hidden ship / boat behind the greenhouse, don't know what the story is behind it. Had to put friends as the visit thing as this is the nearest, it was just my sister and myself.

9  Thank Blusu1

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We visited the above 'garden' in the summer. Having arrived and seen the mess the garden was in We decided that we wouldn't bother with the garden any longer and would have a cup of tea. The wife of the owner served us and although she was very pleasant, the tea was undrinkable. We paid and left.

4  Thank Jackie A
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were staying with friends who are very keen gardeners, they had looked up Shipley Gardens on the internet and thought it would be a good place for a visit. We arrived at the very large sign saying 'gardens, tea room'. We went down a long very unkept drive and parked by a very rundown building. A little apprehensive, we decided to continue into the garden. We were met by the wife of the owner, who was very pleasant and charged us £3 each. The tea room is housed in a dilapadated swimming pool building and did not encourage us to have a drink or to eat anything. The garden may have been looked after 20 or 30 years ago but now is a complete wilderness. there are places I think it could be dangerous especially if people were elderly.Out of interest I looked the garden up on the internet and did not recognise the garden described. We are fairly local,and it was just something to do, but I think it could be very sad if someone travelled any distance having read the write up on the internet. I cannot give this garden any rating at all and time spent there for me should be nil. The rating system above won't let you finish unless you click at least one circle. It didn't even deserve a "terrible".

10  Thank Teresa M