“Stunning views, delicious breakfasts, delightful hosts. :)”

Sandycove House Bed & Breakfast
Los Angeles, California
“Stunning views, delicious breakfasts, delightful hosts. :)”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My Mom and I had the pleasure of staying with John and Breda at the Sandy Cove House last month. The views from the B&B are absolutely stunning and we would stay there again in a heartbeat. Just be aware that the B&B is quite a ways outside of both Skibbereen and Castletownshend, but we felt it was worth the drive. Walls were a little thin so there was quite a bit of noise from the surrounding rooms and people talking outside during the day, but it was quiet at night. Also highly recommend checking out the night kayaking trips that leave from Skibbereen through Atlantic Sea Kayaking... not to be missed!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Zephyrhills, Florida
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

We booked months ahead for 3 rooms 2double with views of ocean for 5 people. I confirmed 3 times to make sure we had ocean views for our 30th wedding anniversary. We arrived and the hostess did not greet us she was busy talking outside so we went inside and called out. Her husband came out and to my surprise tells us they don't have the rooms all facing the sea. I showed my e-mail confiirming this. She comes in and tells me she didn't write me it must have been her husband. She informs me those rooms are taken but I saw through the window nobody had checked in the room yet. She said it was being saved for guests booked for 4 nights. Finally after I showed her the confirmation she gave us 1 room and a 2nd room my husband and I had to share the bathroom with another person. We are all about view that's why we booked this out of the way b&b. Next morning while ordering breakfast I asked for full Irish and yogurt she told me I wouldn't need the yogurt. Maybe she was having a bad day but I think I know why she avoided us because her 4 night booking would bring in more money. If you like views this tops them just get your booking in writing us we did. We stayed in Ireland for over 3weeks this was not the Irish hospitality we received in all the other B&B's maybe it was good we only stayed 1 night !

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank JLL-tapper
Saint Savin, France
Reviewed July 31, 2012

.with sun , the view from the house is so nice ! only the sea in front of you!

But , with fog or mist , the house seems to be "the end of the world"! Of course not !It is just the last house before the sea !
Breda and John have a very nice house!
We enjoyed their welcome and their Irish breakfasts.

The bedrooms are very comfortable , nice and clean .
Very good adress

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Pesaro, Italy
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was my 5th trip to Ireland. I always stayed at b&b’s or guesthouses with scenic views, but the Sandycove House’s location is absolutely stunning. You can gaze at the Ocean (and kormorans, and seals…!) just while sitting on your bed (provided that you’ve booked a sea-side room). The dining/living room is comfortable and equipped with full-length windows, so you can be lost into the seascape even when weather is not that fairy. Rooms are quite tiny but cosy and full equipped, breakfast is fantastic, the hosts, Breda and John, are friendly and attentive….so what more can you ask for? Free WiFi is another plus. I stayed here for eleven (11) days after a hard-working time, and came back home totally fit and relaxed. Therefore, in my opinion Jennifer C’s 2012 review is quite weird (everybody and uncle Joe knows that in Ireland you need small cars!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great sea view, clean and comfortable, decent shower pressure and very friendly and helpful hosts John and Breda. On account of the rain they dropped us down to the restaurant (Mary Anne's) and collected us afterwards.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ThomasFrances
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Not sure what the person from Missouri was talking about......My husband and I have been traveling around Ireland for a month and one of our last stops has been in the Southwest....Castletownsend, Co. Cork..... The most fabulous spot we have found. The vista is better than the Cliffs of Moher.....that being said, the B & B is grand, the proprietor is grand and very hospitable. John and Breda O'Driscoll have been the finest hosts. They have gone out of their way to help us and provide us with anything we need. The B&B itself is grand with view that takes your breath away. The B&B is on the top of the Cliff overlooking the Sandy Cove. Every view has this grand view. I can't say enough about the the kindness and helpfulness of the O'Driscoll's.
The accommodations are beautiful, sparkling clean with an upscale designers touch. We are able to sit and enjoy their home, their kindness and their Donkey. A MUST SEE TO BELIEVE!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank PatGallagher1211
Saint Peters, Missouri, United States
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Let me start off by saying the location is absolutely stunning. Amazing views of the sea and a small beach accessible if you do a bit of climbing. However, it also rather hard to find and takes a while to get anywhere from the house. Also, we found the hostess to be rather unfriendly and not at all professional. The moment we arrived, she began making fun of us and our rental car. She continued to do this throughout our three night stay. She also informed us that we would have to leave by 9:00am our first morning because she had somewhere to be and didn't want anyone in the house while she was gone. Then, when she actually realized we had reservations for three nights rather than one, she made us change rooms. The room we had originally been in had a great view and a comfortable bed, but a very tiny bathroom. The room she moved us to had a view of the driveway and a hard bed. It did have a rather nice bathroom, though. The rooms themselves are also quite small, but clean. The hostess also had a habit of whining about her personal problems to us. In the end, it is a nice place, but has some problems.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jennifer C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castletownshend
Celtic Ross Hotel
#2 of 8 in Clonakilty
The Castle Townshend
The Castle Townshend
#1 of 3 in Castletownshend

Been to Sandycove House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!