“Tasty”

Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Rowsley
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: A perfect spot for visiting the Peak National Park, Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall. The Peacock is located in the small, pretty village of Rowsley. We serve delicious food both lunch and dinner in the warm and cosy surroundings of our atmospheric bar. Our 3 dining rooms overlook our gardens and lunch is served from 12 noon til 2 pm and dinner from 7pm to 9 pm (8.30 Pm) on Sunday. We offer something for everyone from a bowl of homemade soup to our fine dining experience in the evening and we have been awarded 3 rosettes by the AA. Reservations for our dining rooms and first come first served for our bar. We look forward to welcoming you. The Peacock at RowsleyBakewell Road, Rowsley, Derbyshire. DE4 2EB
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Tasty”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Initially very disappointed they changed there croque-monsieur recipe/presentation but this did push me to try other things on there menu and found these were equally as stunning to eat.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Snowcrashed

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Excellent 2 night break”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Recently stayed for 2 nights at the Peacock for an anniversary and special birthday treat. From walking in the door we were given superb service and all the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was large,very clean and overlooking the garden was very quiet.
It was lovely to come back to our room at night to find the bed had been turned down, a little gift left and the slippers laid out as the carpet is not the softest, but thought had been given to this.
The food was superb and helped to make out stay special. It was expensive but I would definitely return for those special dates.
Thank you to everyone at the Peacock.

1 Thank 2712deefer
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fine dining or good pub??”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My partner and I dropped into The Peacock while passing on a day trip and I found the experience quite strange. We had passed a few months back and said we would visit at some point and I am left a little puzzled by it all.

The bad bits:

- My partner and I were quite blatantly looked up and down upon arrival which was quite uncofortable considering we weren't dressed like "scruffs".
- The place looked like a traditional pub which was great, but the attempt to give a fine dining experience with a chap serving my cutlery in white gloves just didn't fit with the surroundings.
- Coupled with the fact the atmosphere felt awkward as the place was so quiet and there was no ambient music to try to break this up. This was made even more awkward when the glass wash was turned on!!
- Staff couldn't tell me much about my meal.
- £4.80 for a pint of bitter!!!

The good bits:

- As much as I wanted to dislike the food as it didn't fit the description I was given by staff, the food was absolutely outstanding. My partner and I had absolutely no criticism of the quality of food we were given. It was beautiful.
- The bar itself is a lovely traditional English boozer with a really nice open fire.

In summery I would say this place could be fantastic with a few tweaks. But it needs to make its mind up what it actually is?? Maybe I just caught them on a bad day??

Is give this place a second chance if I was passing again purely because the food was that good.

1 Thank MrBr00kes
Chesterfield
“Never fails to delight”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The hotel is a firm lunchtime favourite with all our friends as the food and service are outstanding. The decor and gardens are relaxing and attractive. The staff are efficient and attentive.
The menu is varied and the food well presented. An attraction for a weekday lunch is the 'lighter' menu. Here you have a starter, followed by a smaller main course and then a pudding. It is a very good idea at lunchtime and to be recommended.
Parking is adequate and, of course, the hotel is situated in beautiful countryside, close to Matlock, Bakewell and Chatsworth.

1 Thank Mereha
Chesterfield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous lighter appetite lunch”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This was our first visit to the Peacock and we chose to have the lighter appetite lunch (3 course meal, including a lighter main, for £17.99 per person). The meal was fabulous, and exceptionally good value for money, particularly considering the wonderful attention to detail in food presentation and great flavours. I can not fault the food or service, which was highly attentive/professional and courteous. The Peacock is beautifully decorated, it is charming, elegant and modern, and it is worth a visit, especially at lunchtime. To be honest I can not understand the other 'negative' reviews....if you enjoy well crafted and beautiful food then this restaurant should absolutely be on your list of places to visit.