“lovely lunch”

Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Rowsley
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: A perfect spot for visiting the Peak National Park, Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall. The Peacock is located in the small, pretty village of Rowsley. We serve delicious food both lunch and dinner in the warm and cosy surroundings of our atmospheric bar. Our 3 dining rooms overlook our gardens and lunch is served from 12 noon til 2 pm and dinner from 7pm to 9 pm (8.30 Pm) on Sunday. We offer something for everyone from a bowl of homemade soup to our fine dining experience in the evening and we have been awarded 3 rosettes by the AA. Reservations for our dining rooms and first come first served for our bar. We look forward to welcoming you. The Peacock at RowsleyBakewell Road, Rowsley, Derbyshire. DE4 2EB
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Met up with family 5 plus a baby in total. Had origionally booked for 4 but no problem to add mother in law and baby nephew to the party when we arrived.As we cam in to the pleasant lounge area we were rather bowled over by the lady receptionist/maitre d who shouted 'are you with the williamson party' from quite a way away? when we said no she shuffled us to a seating area to await the other members of our party ...telling a passing waitress we would wait for drinks until our friends arrived! after she bustled away the kindly waitress came and took our drinks order! Family arrived and we gathered up nephews toys and went to dine.
We all had the 3 course lighter menu -full starter,half main and full pudding at 16.95. I had a beautiful velvet soup with croutons, sil. had zingy fruit salad, dd2 had mini cheeseburger (looked yummy!) and dd1 and mil had parfait of chicken liver ( poor flavour disappointing!) main courses were a hand sized haddock in light crispy batter with chips and peas ( lovely) and the others chose risotto which looked good too.
Puddings were the final jewel in this excellent lunch I had a rum and raisin baba with kirsch cherries and vanilla creme ( to die for!) dd1 had creamy unctious panna cotta with choc sorbet, mil and sil had trio of pudding each one delicious and ddd2 had a hot apple,rubarb and hazlenut crumble with vanilla ice....each one yummy! for the 16.95 it was a complete bargain!!! just go and try it out.
Coffee in the lounge was very squashed as only 4 tables but we did not want to linger as toddler was ready to sleep. met at the door again by older lady maitre d/receptionist who was a bit loud and insisted that we had not had our bill although we had already paid ... it was fine but a bit irritating. younger staff who were in the restaurant were lovely.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Monday is a bad day to have a birthday, but it comes around every so often and so it was for my lovely wife this year. We should have ignored the date and gone out on Tuesday instead, but we really wanted to celebrate the day! Most of the restaurants we tried were closed but the Peacock wasn't except the main restaurant was closed and they only had the bar menu. The pub was deserted, we were the only customers! I have to say that they tried very hard and spent a long time looking after us. They put us in a a nice spot in the bar and brought the food promptly. However, it was a bar menu, a very good bar menu, but a bar menu nonetheless and as such it was very expensive. We had the chicken liver parfait starter, my wife had the fish of the day and I had the belly pork. Together with wine, it came out at over GBP100. The food was several clicks above the usual bar menu but the surroundings were a bar.

Overall very good and they tried very hard to make us welcome but there was just no atmosphere at all.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

As always the meal was very good quality. We were shown into the bar on arrival where all Mums were offered a complimentary drink which I thought was a very nice touch.I had champagne. The menu had plenty of choice & the service was excellent , there was always a waitress if you wanted one, but they were not too intrusive..The portions didn't seem large but most of our party were full after the starter & main course. Coffee & chocolates in the lounge is always extremely pleasant. It just adds to the feeling of luxury & well-being. We shall. of course go again.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

A friend and I enjoyed a wonderfully relaxing meal in elegant surroundings with excellent food. The chef offers an inspired 3 course menu aimed at ladies who lunch - normal portion sized starter and dessert, half sized main course. A basket of delicious brown and white bread arrived first then:
Starters - I enjoyed a chicken liver parfait with brioche, my friend had a generous prawn cocktail.
Main - We both enjoyed Omelette Arnold Bennet accompanied by a small portion of chips and a well dressed salad
Dessert - For me Rum Baba, my friend, a trio of desserts (for those who can't make up their mind!)
Coffee and chocolates taken in a very relaxing lounge in front of an open fire.
The price: The meal - approx £16.00 each, coffee at £4.25 (a little expensive)
The staff were charming and very efficient. All in all good value for money. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I always enjoy my visits to The Peacock for what is now a traditional lunch between Xmas and New Year. Pre dinner drinks in the bar, log fires and some very good food and drink. Just what's needed following Xmas and prior to seeing in the New Year. The menu is not extensive but more than adequate. Try the battered haddock. Great.

1  Thank CorneliusfudgeGM