“Wonderfully relaxing break”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rowsley
Wiltshire
“Wonderfully relaxing break”
Reviewed November 5, 2008

A thoroughly enjoyable two night break. We received a warm welcome and all staff were polite, friendly, approachable and very well turned out at all times. The room was well appointed, warm and most comfortable. All food was of a very high standard. We will certainly return to this hotel based on our experiences. Thank you to all staff for such a great weekend.

• Liked — Clean, modern and well appointed
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CabrioletQueen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Excelsior, Minnesota
Reviewed September 24, 2008

This is a homey, comfy, lovely place. Feels like a home. Rooms have slanted floors and ours had 3 messages carved in the window glass from the 1800's. Yet the cleanliness and modern bathrooms make it up-to-date. Our room lacked nothing except the closet was so close to the bed that only one person at a time could use it. Small complaint. Bed excellent. Quiet. lovely view. Pleasant grounds with a beautiful garden. Food excellent. Highest quality. Staff superb--warm, caring and professional. Great location. 10 minutes from Chatsworth. Not much more to Haddon Hall and Hardwick Hall.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — tight closet quarters
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed July 5, 2008

I think we were unlucky in some respects hence my average rather than above average
rating. The setting of the hotel is delightful and we were lucky enough to have good weather on one of our two days which enabled us to really enjoy the rolling lawns and well maincured gardens. We struggled a bit to find it as the signs
were a bit obscure from our direction, but there was ample parking and a valet service offered (but no valet on the day we
were there, and no-one to carry the bags). The room was lovely
we paid for a superior room and got it. Recently decorated and
elegantly furnished. Good bathroom with tub and separate shower, big towels ( although refolded after I folded them!
were not changed, I would have preferred to volunteer keeping them rather than having them made to look like they had been changed) No turn down service so I declined having all the trimmings put on the bed the 2nd night as I was the one who had to remove the trimmings (pillows, coverlet etc). There was (I found out later) confusion over our meal, but be prepared to wait and make clear what time you want to eat . Everything is freshly cooked. I really got the impression that the kitchen controls who has what when! I have been assured that the bag carrying and our dining experience was unusual, the restaurant has been voted the best in Derbyshire . Breakfast was very good , a good choice of cold and hot dishes.
A lovely area to visit and a comfortable hotel.
The room charges should reflect the service level, hence my detailed critique.

• Liked — Stunning Setting
  • Disliked — Staff problems
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hilltop7
Derbyshire
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I took two visitors from the USA to East Lodge for Afternoon Tea.
It was a beautiful day so we were able to sit on the patio overlooking the lake. The tea was gorgeous and beautifully presented . Staff were excellent.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank Vonny1952
Derbyshire
Reviewed June 23, 2008

My Wife and I had our Wedding reception at East Lodge in early June. We had the hotel for the whole weekend. This also meant we had to have all 12 bedrooms included in the price, which wasn't a problem as we both have big families needing somewhere to stay and were quite happy with this.
Every single guest that came to celebrate with us that day (120 in total), could not believe how amazing the place was....from the grounds, to the most delicious food that was served not only for the Wedding Breakfast but for the hotel guests all weekend (all inclusive with the price).
My wife and I are so happy we chose East Lodge for our Reception, and loved it so much we are going to stay here again...even though we only live 4 miles away!!!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — There was nothing not to like.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cosmicdude
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2008

On Saturday 23 February we held a joint celebration for my father’s 90th birthday, parents 65th wedding anniversary and daughter’s 18th birthday with lunch for 12 people at East Lodge.

Although the surroundings were ideal for such a milestone celebration a number of the party were disappointed with the quality and amount of food served from the special function menu. The main complaint centred around the 8 people who were served very tough rib eye steaks (that were served without steak knives) and most of them were returned uneaten together with undercooked green vegetables. In addition the first course of melon was nicely presented but contained very little melon. The consequence of this was that most people left the meal feeling disappointed and still hungry. Inevitably they did not want to create a fuss at the time because they did not want to spoil the occasion.

Having carefully selected and booked East Lodge for this special occasion at a rate of £25.95 per head our expectations unfortunately were not met and we went away feeling somewhat disappointed.

We have had no reply to two letters to the hotel complaining about the food. Also when we phoned the manager said that all complaints were dealt with by the owner who would phone us back. This never happened.

We were very disappointed with East Lodge County House Hotel restaurant and in the light of our experience would not recommend it.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank family0ne
uk
Reviewed May 2, 2008

From the website this hotel looks great and we were very much looking forward to staying here. However the whole experience turned out to be a nightmare. Our room (number 9) was ice cold, and it was one the coldest nights of the year. We tried to call down to reception at 1am to notify them that the heating wasn't on but the antique phone didn't work. We ended up wrapped in blankets and dressing gowns with unefficient plug in radiators and had very little sleep. On departure the following morning we explained the situation to reception who replied with 'the rooms normally very hot' and 'the heating goes off at midnight'. I asked that the manager (who was not available) call me as I was not happy to pay the rather high room charge without discussing my concerns first. The hotel took, without authorisation, my money and the manager never called me. It took me 3 months to get hold of him and he simply wasn't interested in what I had to say. The customer service at this hotel, should you have a complaint, is utterly appalling, the worst I have ever experienced, and from reading other reviews it sounds like this happens a lot at East Lodge. Beware!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank leothecatUk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowsley
Bagshaw Hall
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hathersage
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell

Been to East Lodge Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!