“Delightful Hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rowsley
The Peacock at Rowsley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rowsley
London, United Kingdom
“Delightful Hotel”
Reviewed July 30, 2007

What a fantastic stay we had here. Only managed one night but we were greeting warmly on arrival at lunchtime - enjoyed a nice pub lunch in the bar area and then checked in.
Rooms were delightful, the furniture was in keeping with the age of the building but all amenities were included and the room was nice and spacious. Quickly managed to connect to the wireless network (free access) and then got ready to go out (a family member was getting married at the East Lodge hotel around the corner which was nowhere near as nice!) After returning from the reception party very late the hotel staff were still up (which was surprising considering the hotel was pretty small) We got up for breakfast at about 9am and were pleasantly greeted by the manager who showed us to our table and asked how we slept. She asked if we had got the newspaper we had requested (which we had) and left the servers to get us drinks etc.
Three of us ordered cooked food (myself a full english, my mum scrambled eggs and my sister scrambled eggs with smoked salmon) My mum had to ask the waiter to take her eggs back as they were very salty! The staff made light work of this and a few minutes later a fresh batch was brought out. After we had eaten we checked out which was simple and departed. The hotel has nice grounds with the river literally at the foot of the garden. Fly fishing can be done locally and they have all the kit available at the hotel. All in all we very much enjoyed our stay and would definetley return!

• Liked — comfortable beds
  • Disliked — proximity to busy roads
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London
Reviewed July 6, 2007

On a business trip for one night so was not paying...but for £165 for the room it was much too much bearing in mind the compact size of the bathroom and bath itself, the £6 supplement if a cooked breakfast was wanted, and the bar food which was served in almost undecent haste by the staff who obviously wanted to retire for the evening. Sadly was not a memorable visit and would not return again.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank ChelseamanLondon
London
Reviewed April 14, 2007

We usually don't write reviews on trip advisor when the experience is good (we should) usually only when they are bad. In this case the experience was so good I feel compelled to make a note.

This was our first trip to the peak district and spent some time making a decision on where to stay as we were going for three nights and wanted to make sure it worked. Nevertheless we had some concerns about the Peacock, mainly that it was close to a very busy road and hence noisy and well that it could fall into that category of "recently-done-up-so-overcharge-and-underserve" because it had made the Mr and Mrs Smith website.

The concerns were unfounded. This was one of the best all round experiences we have had at an English country hotel (others include Whatley Manor (v good), Barnsley House (v good), Cotswold House Hotel (not great). Top of the list of our accolades was service, extremely friendly and extremely effective (a real focus on making sure the guests staying in the hotel receive bespoke attention); followed by the food (extremley high standard, Red Mullet and Duck dishes both out of the top drawer) next tasteful decoration throughout; followed by location (the road is noisy by quietens right down in the evening, but the close proximity to the beautiful Wye and Derwent valleys makes it very accessible)

We had a great time and will be back.

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank umhambi
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2007

We stayed on the dinner, bed and breakfast package in one of their large doubles which was up in the attic but was spacious and stylishly decorated and had flat screen tv, dvd, and cd player. Also tea/coffee facilities and mini bar. Only down point was that the bathroom looked a bit tired and could have done with refurbishing although it was spotlessly clean. The food was excellent although would have thought it a bit expensive (upto £28 for a main) had we not been on the DBB package. The service was exceptional be it from 'front of house' or waiters and waitresses (didnt see anything of staff being out of their depth as mentioned by previous reviewer). They were very welcoming and helpful yet not overly intrusive. Overall a lovely location to stay being so close to the Peak District National park and Chatsworth House. Would definately return.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SEMS
Sussex
Reviewed April 2, 2007

What a fabulous experience!

My boyfriend booked the Peacock as a birthday treat for me. We are not local and had a long drive up there from Dorset for our 3 night stay.

The building is quite unassuming on first impressions, it looks more like a large house than a hotel.

We were welcomed in and our bags taken from us straight away and up to our room. We were told to ring down at any time should we need anything and that we could have dinner anytime between 7 and 9. Although fairly small, room 14 is beautifully furnished. As mentioned by one of the other members on Trip Advisor, it does over look an outbuilding which is actually staff accommodation but I fail to understand how this caused the reviewer any problems. The room was perfectly quiet and felt secluded at all times, even on the Saturday night when the hotel had a small and very 'enthusiastic' wedding party in the bar which was underneath our room. Granted, maybe the bathroom needs a bit of updating and is small but it was clean had everything we needed. There was a lovely welcome pack, including full history of the building, a DVD library list, room service menu and a detailed list of things to see and do around the area. The decor is, as another reviewer has mentioned, a mixture of antique and modern but the two amalgamate nicely and as to whether you appreciate this is down to personal taste and preference. The dining room is particularly well done out. We were determined to find the mice carvings on the 'Mousey' Thompson tables!

Before getting ready for dinner on the first night, we explored the gardens - very pretty. There is a path that runs along side the river and plenty of room for tables and chairs in the summer.

Dinner was an amazing experience. The 12 year old balsamic along with the home made tomato bread was mouth watering and my boyfriend enjoyed the chilli butter immensely. I chose the Dorset crab and avacado tian to begin, beautifully presented and the white crab meat was delicious. To follow I had Halibut with celeriac puree with a fish creme. The creme came in a little jug - how thoughtful as not everyone likes their dinner swimming in a sauce. The vegetables that accompanied it were almost too attractive to eat, turned carrots, balled swede and white asparagus. I can honestly say this is the nicest piece of fish I have ever tasted. Desert was on par with the rest of the meal - a selection of 6 ice creams with freeze dried fruit as garnishes.

When we went up to retire for the night, we found the bed turned down with chocolates on the pillow. A nice touch.

We had ordered breakfast in bed for the following morning, my birthday . Two huge trays appeared, bang on time, laden with fresh raspberries and blueberries, a mixture of croissants and pastries, cereal and the most important breakfast item - Marmite to compliment the toast! We were also provided with fresh pink grapefruit and orange juice. Simply wonderful.

My birthday was spent milling around the Peaks, a delightful area of the country and back to the Peacock for a second sitting of dinner. This time I opted for the Haddock Angiolotti, a large, single raviolli, stuffed with a quails egg, smoked, yet undyed fish set on a bed of pureed fresh garden peas in a light, foamy sauce. My boyfriend had had this the previous night and I purposely didn't try it as I was saving it for this evening! Delicious! My main was not as satisfying as the Halibut but very pleasant. Pan friend scallops placed on sauted potatoes of the same size with a side dish of cauliflower a la greque. The vegetable dish is not a concept I have ever heard of & not one I would necessarily opt for again. Not unpleasant but neither was it a favourite. Desert this time was a hot chocolate fondant - amazing how the chef managed to keep the ice cream in the middle not just cold but almost still frozen. I'm afraid it beat me and I had to leave nearly half of it!

The staff are a mixture of Australian, French and very local. All of them without exception, were friendly without being too familiar, helpfully without pushiness and were always available to cater for our needs. They were happy to store our purchases from the local farmers market in their freezer and gave us practical advice about local attractions, where to go and what not to visit. The current owners have been there since 2003, Jennie being front of house and her Husband Ian in the kitchen. Ian looks so like Brian Turner, I did a double take and thought we may have been treated with a guest chef for the night! However, Ian and his Head Chef's cooking really is tip top.

On the Saturday night I was presented with a birthday card by Jennie from all the staff - I still have no idea how she knew!

Nothing is too much trouble for these people. The Peacock may not be cheap but I do believe in value for money & it is a delightful place that I wouldn't hesitate recommending to anyone. So good, despite the distance, we have booked up again for 8 weeks time!

• Liked — The welcoming feeling we had the whole of our stay
  • Disliked — The small bathroom
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jamie01
Arkansas
Reviewed March 28, 2007

What a wonderful experience! My daughter and I arrived exhausted from driving on unfamilar English roads. We were welcomed warmly and invited to come in for a light dinner. It was just perfect. We were shown our room which exceeded our expectations. A perfect English inn! I was anxious to turn our rental car back in and explore the rest of England by train. They contacted the rental company and arranged for "keith" to pick us up to return the car. He also took us on a tour of the Peak District which could not have been better. The hotel catered to our every need and I am anxious to experience the Peacock again!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank maryjane0807
North West
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Stayed in Rm 3 for 2 nights for our wedding anniversary - lovely, light and spacious room at the front of the hotel but with views over the garden. Bathroom good but not as contemporary as rest of hotel - nice Aveda toiletries, bathrobes, slippers etc. There was some road noise, but not that bothered us

Good service throughout from warm welcome, fresh milk, DVD library, maps & guides for walks including to Chatsworth (recommend doing this walk), discounted tickets for Chatsworth (recommend Jean Pierre's for lunch). Hotel staff were excellent - knowing when to offer help and remembering all the little things that make for a great experience.

Food was fantastic, from the pre-dinner canapes to modern British dishes (pork with black pudding sausages & faggot was served with a glass of Dutch light beer to complement the meal). Sunday menu offered roast rib of beef with plenty of vegetables for the traditionalists. Deserves its 2 AA roettes and worth the money. Good and varied wine list too. Cooked breakfast was extra, but happy to pay more if hungry enough after the dinners.

Would happily recommend it to anyone who enjoys the 'boutique' hotel experience

• Liked — Great food/wine & service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R&RNorthWest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowsley
East Lodge Country House Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell
Losehill House Hotel & Spa

Been to The Peacock at Rowsley? Share your experiences!