“Lovely, but expensive”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rowsley
The Peacock at Rowsley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rowsley
UK
“Lovely, but expensive”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed at the Peacock for 2 nights while attending a friend's wedding in the area. The hotel is in a lovely old building (1692 is the date over the door), and the rooms are luxurious.

On arrival, I was offered complimentary tea of coffee with home-made shortbread and told firmly not to carry my own luggage. There was a slight confusion in that I's booked a double room for single occupancy, but when i arrived I was asked when my partner would be arriving! However, the room was lovely, and staff very welcoming. I had room 15 which overlooks the garden, and it was very quiet, despite the hotel being right on the A6.

We didn't dine at the hotel but I had the breakfast buffet each day, which was varied and generous - cereal, toast, croissants, yoghurt, fresh fruit, ham, cheese, and muffins were all available, with waffles or porridge available on request.

My waffle was rather disappointing, and I was slightly surprised, given that the room costs over £200 a night, that cooked breakfast is not included in the room rate, but it has to be admitted that the buffet does provide an excellent start to the day.

There were a couple of minor irritations - I cannot imagine who thought it would be a good idea to design a bathroom with a full-length mirror on the back of the door facing the WC, for instance. the shampoo wasn't replaced in my room for the second morning despite my having used up what was provided the first night - my friends mentioned they were only only left one chocolate between them when the bed was turned down, so it does seem that there is sometimes a slight lack of attention to detail.

Also, it would be nice if fresh milk were available in the room, rather than having to ring down for it - there is a small fridge, so it would not be difficult!)

That said,these are very minor issues, and if the hotel was not so expensive I wouldn't bother commenting about them.

All in all, however it's a lovely place to stay, and the hotel has details of local walks and, I believe, arrangements for fishing for those who wish.

I think this would be lovely place for a romantic get away.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank tbagpuss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Having not been to the Peacock ( fondly thought of as my favourite restaurant in the world!) than a year , we had dinner there last night. I am not surewhat has happened but we were very disappointed! The service was impeccable, as was the bread, amuse bouche , pre dessert (gorgeous) and petit fours but the meal itself was not very good.

Firstly the high rise in price since our last visit...the starters price has nearly doubed and the main courses jumped up to a whopping £35 ! However thats fine for great food but sadly this just wasnt. Starter of a haddock ravioli, looked great but rather bland, next Derbyshire pork with rhubarb ( did nt work) and miniscule bits of veg, i really feel that £ 35 for a pork chop is excessive! Dessert mille feuille, hard and dry ! What has Happened to the lovely " fine dining" good value dinners the Peacock used to serve?

We are very used to " fine dining" and know exactly what to expect , Michel Bras it was not but the price was!

Room Tip: Did not stay just dinner.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Hilary L
Whaley Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Booked ahead for Tue 25 Feb as a late Valentine lunch (postponed without fuss from 20th due to illness). Having announced ourselves we were thereafter referred to by name by all the staff and received timely but not obtrusive attention. Dominic provided a regular Rioja in the bar (I was driving) from a very adequate wine list and Paolo escorted us to our table. We chose from the "light" menu but it was more than enough and quite imaginative. J. had the prawn cocktail followed by the haddock in batter whilst I had the goat curd with beetroot and pear, followed by smoked haddock with crispy egg. All were excellent, with attentive but discrete attention. Pudding was the rhubarb sundae for me and the trio of sweets for J. We left no morsel but left the hotel vowing to return and very pleased we made the 45min journey to get there. Maybe we should stay next time?

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dronfield England
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We ate lunch here mid week. We were shown to the cosy bar area and given a choice whether we wished to eat in the bar or the dining room. Bar snacks and sandwiches, lighter lunch and al carte with daily specials are all available. Reasonable choice of local ales and a very good wine list.
The dining room was light and airy.
Service by numerous members of staff was friendly and efficient throughout. We both opted for the great value lighter lunch menu, where you get a starter half a main meal and a dessert for £17.99.
All the choices were cooked and presented to perfection. A special mention to the rhubard and vanilla sundae is required.
Coffee was taken in the lounge.
Will return on sunny day.

Room Tip: Book in advance to avoid disappointment
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Midlands
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Visited this hotel for a business weekend away. The hotel is lovely, the staff are great and could not do enough for you. The room I stayed in was room 4 and it was peaceful and comfortable. I can understand why some people say it is a little expensive (it really is) and there are a few niggles in the room, ie, stains on the carpet, no bath, the side cabinets to the bed far too small to put anything on, no adequate storage in bathroom to put toiletries, but all that said, the rooms are quirky and fun. The quality of furnishings around the hotel are great. The bar area is cosy and quirky. We had dinner on both nights and yes it is expensive, but the qualit of the food is amazing and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The waiter (Peter) was knowledgable and friendly and recommended wines, brandy etc which were perfect. Breakfast in the morning was lovely and yes you do pay extra for a cooked breakfast, which I have to agree is a bit cheeky taking into account the amount you are already paying. The lady on reception, who also manages the dining room is great, highly organised and extremely efficient. I would definitely return, once I have saved enough!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My mother and I stayed here for one night whilst visiting Chatsworth house for a treat. It was perfection staying here. The room was so quaint and pretty, lovely view of the garden and comfy bed. The only issue we had with the room was how warm it was, however that's more down to us not working out the system I think! Check in was easy and the staff were discreet and lovely.

The food. It was spectacular and I do not easily say that. Easily one of the best meals I've had in the UK. It was such a treat, perfect wine matching and beautifully presented and seasoned. The only issue with the room is how quiet it is in there, people feel like they have to whisper.

Overall a great experience and we will stay again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Katie L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

The Peacock is a very special place indeed and the perfect romantic getaway. This was our first time visiting as a couple and we were blown away by its rustic charm, homely luxury and most of all, the friendly and helpful staff. The trip did not get off to a good start, however, as we typed the wrong Peacock into our sat nav and arrived at a less glamorous, local boozer in Bakewell, also called the Peacock! We soon set off once again and were relieved to quickly arrive at the real thing, where the kind lady at reception smiled politely at our mistake. We stayed in room 5, which was very private, had an incredibly comfy four poster bed and plenty of space. The white, fluffy towels are enormous and you can even ask reception for a new release DVD to watch. The highlight of our stay was undoubtedly the delicious dinner we enjoyed in the restaurant. It oozes charm, is stuffed with eccentric Manners family memorabilia and artwork, and did not disappoint one bit. In fact, both our mains - the sea bass and monk fish - were some of the best we've ever tasted and were exceptional. The rhubarb, custard mousse with a coconut finish was the dream ticket. First class. We were very sad to leave.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 388willw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowsley
Bagshaw Hall
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell

Been to The Peacock at Rowsley? Share your experiences!