“Fill up at breakfast; skip dinner it's not worth it”

Cuisine on Lake Crackenback
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cuisine promotes dining excellence offering classic cuisine using the best of local produce. Relax and enjoy the tranquil views of Lake Crackenback and the surrounding mountains. When you're ready to dine, enjoy the friendly atmosphere of Cuisine on the Resort's lakefront. Before your meal, join us in the Cuisine Bar for our famous mountain cocktails, or try our selection of schnapps, cognacs, liqueurs, beers and wines from around the world. For the little ones, we offer a children's menu. Buffet breakfast is served daily at Cuisine.
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Lovely place, would visit lake crankenback resort again, but please fix cuisine dining,it is letting the whole resort down. The alpine larder saves the food experience .

1  Thank Stagecoachontour

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Let me start by saying that I love the Lake Crackenback Resort despite the best efforts, it would seem, of Cuisine on Lake Crackenback to turn me off LCR as a whole ...

This (dinner for 2 on Easter Sunday) was the 3rd time I've tried Cuisine. The 1st two were underwhelming but ok, maybe this was "third time really unlucky"?

We went straight for mains - I selected the wild rabbit with cauliflower, shimeji and miso, and my wife the sweet pork cheek with scallops, swede & pear, plus a couple of sides - and then waited ..., ..., ..., After about 45 minutes the mains arrived. Mine was warm at best, the pork & scallops combo stone cold; the sides arrived a few minutes later and were plenty hot!

We pointed out the coldness of the pork dish to our waitress (who was great btw) and she apologised, took the dish back to the kitchen, returned and advised that they were making up a new dish which would be out in a couple of minutes.

Sure enough, a couple of minutes later a dish was returned by a different (in charge?) waiter. This was very clearly the SAME dish (no doubt newly microwaved), down to the half-eaten and now-rubbery scallop, a couple of stray beans with balsamic glaze from the side dish, and a complete absence of finesse / foam etc. We politely pointed this out (albeit through now gritted teeth) to the new waiter to which he blatantly replied that, "no, this is a new dish, I just saw them make it" - incredible!

Upset, and no longer hungry, we left. I hope it's just a phase they're going through!

1  Thank StreetWalks
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

I was told very good things about this restaurant by two separate sources. My expectations were high. I was primed for a pleasant dining experience.

Let me start by saying the food was mostly good. We had a bit of a disaster with a very gristly bit of sirloin steak but this was replaced and the second meal was acceptable. However the portions are small. My older children enjoyed the pork belly, but the children's meal (schnitzel chips and salad) seemed larger than the adult options (no sides included) and my older children were still pretty hungry. We ordered two lots of chips and beans. The tiniest imaginable piece of brioche is given as bread with the meal.

Next...no ambience! Where are the table cloths? I think this is a must in a restaurant. It's like this place is set up as a cafe. This really was a massive turn off for me.

The restaurant is a very big room. Something else is wrong with the set up. Tables are very far apart from each other and ours was in the middle of the room near the door. Kind of felt like no man's land.

Apart from a few candles there is not much going on. The lake is not lit up much at all, so you can't see anything looking out the large windows. There is a cosy looking lounge with a fire place, but again misplaced, off to the side.

Service staff were attentive but young and not very confident. Unable to answer questions about the menu and easily flustered.

1  Thank greenrock7
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I have never walked out of a restaurant part way through a meal before - but after close on 2 hours and 1 course, it was a disgraceful experIence. And what's worse.....no one cared!
We were staying at Lake Crackenback resort over Easter as a family and booked Cuisine for dinner after reading the reviews.
The service was absolutely appalling - my partner and I ordered the degustation, one child a main course and the youngest fish and chips. After an hour the youngest got her meal......we asked where our food was and was told the Oder for the degustation was "weird". I then got one course after another 20 minutes.
Getting totally frustrated we spoke to the "assistant manager" and he was then never to be seen again.
After close to 2 hours we simply walked out.
I can understand if there was a problem in the kitchen but we were simply told nothing.
It was just a disgraceful experience and the staff didn't seem to care.

1  Thank MrsHuxtable
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Wait til late for breakfast during the ski season or you will be caught in the crush of Ill mannered brats loading more on their plates than they can possibly eat. I felt for the wait staff as they struggled to keep the buffet filled in vain.

The evenings were the antithesis. Excellent and novel dishes cooked with care and the freshest of ingredients, presented perfectly. The relaxing dinner experience contrasts starkly with breakfast service. Would nearly travel the 1400 km to experience the atmosphere of this beautiful space just for a meal.