My husband and I just enjoyed a wonderful weekend at the Banning House Lodge. We were looking for a peaceful weekend getaway and that is what we got! The lodge itself is very charming and although built in 1910, it has been appropriately updated so you do not get the feeling that you are staying in someone's old house! Be forewarned: this lodge is definitely for those looking to disconnect from everyday life. That means no TV's, no radio's, no internet, no clocks, no alarms! The lodge sits high up on the hill from downtown Two Harbors, from where you can get a great view of the area. It is close enough to walk down to the downtown area within a few minutes, but far enough that when the Cinco De Mayo partying started, it did not disturb us at all. Speaking of the walk to and from downtown, several of the other reviews mentioned that the walk was a bit far--that is only true if you never do any exercise other than walking from your house to your car! For anyone who is even a little active, it is a nice five minute stroll!
We stayed in room 3, which shared a back patio with room 2. Our neighbors were respectful of the shared space, but I can see how less thoughtful neighbors could have disturbed us with talking out on the patio early morning or late night. Rooms 2, 3, 4 and 5 are on the main walkway and patio area of the lodge and therefore receive the most back and forth traffic. Everyone seems to be aware of this and is pretty quiet, but if you are sensitive to noise you may want to request the "Crow's Nest" room, which is above the main den, or one of the rooms not adjacent to the main house. The Continental breakfast every morning easily exceeded minimum standards and was very fulfilling and included: a variety of fresh fruit, a variety of bagels and english muffins, cottage cheese, yogurt, several cold cereals, muffins, and a variety of condiments.
The staff was very courteous and low-key, to the point that it almost seemed like we were staying at a friends house and not a lodge at all! We are already planning a trip back to do some mountain biking, and would not consider staying anywhere else!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at the West End of the island, the Banning House Lodge was built in 1910 as the summer home for the pioneering Banning brothers, who owned Santa Catalina Island. Now a charming, Craftsman-style bed and breakfast, the Banning House Lodge offers sweeping views of the Isthmus of Catalina and Catalina Harbor from its romantic, hilltop perch above Two Harbors A complimentary continental breakfast is served daily in the charming dining room. Van shuttle service between the lodge and Two Harbors village is included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz and Agoda so you can book your Banning House Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banning House Hotel Two Harbors
- Banning House Lodge Catalina Island/Two Harbors, CA