“Wugong shan” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wugong Mountain (Wu-kung)

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wugong shan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

TripAdvisor needs to realize that nobody on the mainland uses the outdated British transliteration "Wu-kung" just as they don't use Peking or Mao Tse-Tung. Put the Chinese name on here please (武功山)!!! It took me two weeks to realize that this was called Wu-kung mountain because nobody uses that name anywhere else.

This place was amazing! I was totally blown away by the beauty of this mountain. I've been to Longhu shan, Lu shan, and Jinggang shan in Jiangxi and nothing has come close. I've been teaching in Nanchang, Jiangxi and nobody around here has ever heard of this little gem because it carries no political importance and no famous poet wrote any poems here. I seriously felt like I should have been singing "The hills are alive..." because of the terrain. It was such a pleasant surprise. Every corner I walked around seemed to have a better view than the last bend and the top is certainly the best. I loved looking down at the clouds. It was a nasty climb but I almost didn't even care that my legs were screaming at me because of what I was seeing.

The entire trip I heard was 6 hours to walk up for a mid-20's male in good shape. It is a serious steep hike even with paved steps all the way. My co-ed college-age group went up the first leg by cable car and then walked the rest of the way up. The guys were carrying everyone's tents so it was pretty heavy luggage (55-65 lbs). Our pace was pretty slow so it took us about 4.5-5 hours to get to the summit from the end of the first cable car (there is a second cable car that will take you most of the way to the top and they are about 50元 each way, for each leg). The next day the way down took about 2.5 hours all the way without any cable cars but I was literally jogging down because my legs were so sore from the ascent that it just felt better. For others in our group it took around 4 hours to come down (on very sore legs also).

There are places on top of the mountain to rent tents if you don't want to carry them yourself. There were also some venders with water and other drinks along the way but not very often. One restaurant was located at the summit but it was pretty pricey. Many of us bought instant noodles and paid 2元 for boiled water in our bowls. Our group did this trip in two days: one up, one down, but I think everybody wished that we would have stayed another day just to wander around some other trails once we were on the top. There were trails in both directions with some amazing looking views and no paved steps but we just didn't have time to enjoy them.

I highly recommend this destination!!!

Visited May 2012