“Well worth a visit”
Review of Dikteon Cave

Dikteon Cave
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This underground cave was believed to be the birthplace of Zeus, making it an important religious and cultural center to the ancient Greeks.
Reviewed July 3, 2014

If you're expecting Disneyland or the Grand Canyon then you're probably on the wrong holiday!

The cave itself it quite modest, though has some impressive stalactites and stalagmites and is accessed via a steepish path and then steps. However the sense of history (the birthplace of Zeus), the drive to the location and the views over the Lassithi plateau are spectacular. This place is well worth the effort to get to.

The whole local area seems steeped in tradition and the tavernas in the towns around the edge of the plateau are better priced than those on the coast and still boast the legendary Cretan hospitality.

2  Thank Steve M
"take your time"
"poor donkeys"
"concrete stairs"

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I visited here in June with my husband whilst on holiday in Crete. We had hired a car so set off after breakfast and wound our way over the plateau and through the mountains passing little villages on the way, enabling us to soak up the more traditional lifestyle of Crete rather than the more tourist coastal areas. It took approximately 1hr 15 mins from our hotel in Aghis Nikolas.

We parked in the village car park and paid 2 euros for the whole day (you don't get a choice)! I decided to take a donkey ride up to the caves (10 euros each way), but hubby decided to walk alongside me and then actually beat me to the top! Don't panic the donkeys all looked very well fed and watered to me and cared for by their owners. I didn't see one donkey being mistreated and believe me I would say so if I did!

The caves cost 4 euros each and whilst these are not the most amazing caves we have ever been in, it was beautiful and interesting. It doesn't take long to walk through the caves but obviously you need flat footwear as it is damp and slippery. There is a one way system through the caves which apparently some tourists found difficult to grasp! Keep hold of young children so they don't get separated from you as it gets a bit busy. Best to arrive early like us and beat the coach tours.

There are tavernas and plenty of shops in the village and we stopped for some refreshments each way. However, when it came to lunch we decided to head back through the mountain and went to a beautiful taverna we had spotted on our way up. This was in a delightful village and the taverna had a traditional open fired oven. We had the roasted chicken and pork with large roasted potatoes, salad and drinks. It cost the usual 25 euros for two people. The views from the taverna were amazing and it was good to sit back and watch village life going about its business.

If you haven't been to the caves I would suggest a half day visit but having done it, I don't think we would return. A very enjoyable trip.

3  Thank Wasessa
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

If you get the chance to do this then you must. A steep walk up one of two paths leads you to the entrance to this cave. You can if you wish take a donkey ride to the top but the walk is better. A huge cavern awaits with stalagmites and stalactites and the feeling of something mystical. Well worth a visit but do so early to avoid the crowds.

1  Thank House-ElfPreston
Reviewed June 12, 2014

If you are keen on the Greek Gods and classical ancient history its well worth the yomp up a big hill and down and up many steps...donkeys are available!really impressive cave ,great views over Lassithi but really only suitable for the fully fit.