Refugio Altiplano Ayahuasca Retreats
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Nauta
See available hotels
La Casa Morey(Iquitos)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Safari(Iquitos)
Dorado Hotel(Iquitos)
Hotel Maranon(Iquitos)
View Hotel
All reviewslife changinghealing processayahuasca experiencehealing centereach guestevery morningtwo storylong runother guestsfelt safeplant medicinethe entire staffmedicinal plantssense of humourthank you so muchmelceremonies
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I went with a buddy in December 2012. A very long trip from Toronto but the flights we chose seemed to be optimal choices. Flew through Miami then into Lima for a short layover. Timed arrival into Lima for around midnight. The connection to Iquitos was at 6am so we were able to get a couple hrs sleep at the Lima airport hotel which was relatively expensive compared to venturing into town. We did not want to rusk missing connection though. Once we got to Iquitos, Pamela from the Refugio showed up at the airport to drive us to the office where we did some business and then she escorted us to market for boots. After a couple of hours in Iquitos we then hopped on a boat to head 2hrs down amazon to the retreat.

Once there, we were shown our accommodations which were great. Comfy huts in the middle of the jungle. The staff were very friendly and Scott was able to provide a run through of the brewing of the medicine.

From there we spent 5 nights and 4 ceremonies working with the medicine the friendly guests, staff and of course our healer Scott.

I felt safe and comfortable most of the time. I say most of he time because it was only after experiencing he first ceremony I was truly comfortable. Before that anticipation had me a bit nervous but again, after experiencing the care given in ceremony I felt safe.

From there we spent the days relaxing, touring the beautiful property and reflecting on our experiences at the ceremonies.

I can tell you all that the visit while short, was amazing and I recommend every human who is ready to take his step immediately go see Scott in the amazon. He and the medicine have helped me a great deal in many ways. My life is better, my spirit is clean, I feel freer than ever and somewhat resolute to maintain this state. So much so that I will return to Refugio altiplano again soon.

Happy travels.

4  Thank Ca1iman
Reviewed January 15, 2013

As I was lying in my comfortable bed located inside my cozy house at Refugio Altiplano, a thought popped into my head: when I get back to the states, there will no words to describe what a life-changing, spiritual, healing, experience Refugio Altiplano has been. As I am writing this, I still believe that no words can adequately describe the astonishing experience I had at Refugio Altiplano.

First off, this is a special and sacred place; even the birds, insects, and other animals at Refugio understand this and you feel as if they are helping you with your healing work through their sounds and spirit.

Second, the staff is very helpful and are there to help you. Pamela, Danica, Ruth and Jelly are angels, and their hospitality made the stay at Refugio even more enjoyable. The food is marvelous, the water is delicious and the coconuts that we tasted when we took a day trip to Magdalena will be unforgettable.

Furthermore, the Maestros (Shamans) are the best at what they do. Like one of the Shamans told me, 'this is our job,' and they take it very seriously--at the same time, they add a dash of humor to mitigate the graveness that your ego may inadvertently add while inside the Ayahuasca ritual.

I will be forever grateful to Scott (the main Shaman) and Jose the other Shaman for their personalized work with me. They were very attentive with me and their combined knowledge knows no bounds. They have your best interest at hand and are there to help you with compassion and love. If there was a stronger word than grateful, I would use it to describe how appreciative I am of them.

Any spiritual pilgrim out there that is looking for some sign post that points them in the right direction in choosing a right healing center, let this review be your guide. This is the place to chose because it is a place where comfort, Shamanic knowledge, and the spirit of the jungle come together in the right balance to make this the place where your spiritual journey will flourish and your life will change in a way that you never expected, if you are ready to receive Ayahuasca's message.

In short, Refugio Altiplano is simply the best.

Room Tip: Chose a room close to the ceremony house if possible! Remember to take your rubber boots! If you don't like mosquitos make sure you take lots of mosquito repellent and long-sleeved shirts.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Enrique A
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I also read these reviews before choosing whether to embark on this journey. I am so happy my decision brought me to Refugio Altiplano. Aside from the medicine, the jungle sounds heard from your bed, to the chat's shared with fellow participants lounging in hammocks, to the super yummy and cleansing food, this place heals in more ways than one.

For me the medicine of Ayahuasca has worked as an awakening. The ceremonies were very special experiences. I felt safe at all times and felt the support of the sharmans. Scott Petersen is an amazing man who I admire grately. He gives spiritual support to everyone individually throughout the ceremonies. It takes a special person to perform ceremonies night after night as Scott does, sharing so much of his own energy helping other people.

The two other sharmen Jośe and Mariano were not only beautiful singers during ceremony nights, some days they took us on walks to villages and through the jungle. There is an english speaking representative/host who is always around to ask questions. All the staff are so friendly and you feel a warm welcome instantly.

If you are reading this, take the next step and GO! Be open to the medicine. Every moment spent at Refugio Altiplano is contributing positively.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Jas W
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I'll start by saying that magical places still exist, this place being one of them. Talk about having an experience of a lifetime!!!!
The food is very good and always fresh. The service is top notch and everyone has a smile which makes you feel like your right where you belong. Anything you need is a question away. The safety you feel is very secure, which is nice to have in the Amazon!
Overall you cannot go wrong choosing Refugio Altiplano as your 1st experience with the magic the jungle holds, the knowledge the plants convey and the love you recieve from everyone including people, celestial spirits and spirits of nature.

3  Thank Azariusjoe
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Rejuvenating, revitalizing, reconnecting with nature, the essence of love. Absolutely a must! Excellent staff! Nourishing food brought right to ones door upon request or made fresh as one arrives at the common area table. Beautiful common areas, family style tables, hammocks, trails, swimming, kyaking, and sauna!
Master Shaman! Wow a man who has fused the natural powers of the plants and healing treasures from around the world. I bow to the Divine in Scott. My nephew and I made this trek together and were embraced by Scott and staff like family. I healed from childhood traumas and adult heartache. From sad and broken to joyful and peaceful with extreme gratitude. Paradise exisists!
Refugio Altiplano is an exceptional place, well thought out to be in harmony with nature. Much love! I look forward to my return! In sharing my personal expiriences many other family members and friends are planning their trip to Refugio Altiplano to heal and expirience for themselves this radiance of health. Forever in gratitude, thank you Refugio Altiplano!
Ysabella