The Plough
$162
$135
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsenormous bathroomroll top bathfillet steakbar areapuddingcomfy sofasmain coursefor sunday lunchvaried menuon arrivallovely atmospherespecials boardate heretorsin roombusy roadfantastic foodpoached eggs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Visited the Plough on Saturday for my husband's birthday. The food as always was beautiful and the service was first class. There were 3 specials for the main course as well as the normal menu and we opted for the Rib Eye Steak from the specials menu - this was cooked to perfection. Our only problem was that after a starter and a main course we couldn't find room for the bread and butter pudding which we both absolutely adore. Hope to go back again in March so hopefully will find room then!!!

Would advise a trip to the Plough to anyone who has not yet visited.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joanne_dixon
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I read the rewiew 'Really looking forward to it and was most disappointed' just before I went to The Plough last night. I nearly changed the venue after reading there review, as my wife and myself were taking out friends for dinner for a very special occasion and I wanted things to be perfect. I wonder if they went to the same Plough as we did? or if they had another agenda! because we had a memorable night for all the right reasons, the atmosphere, decor, service and food were impeccable from start to finish. The wine that was recommended was perfect, the small plates were a great idea as we shared a variety of delicious flavours and were fun to eat with friends. For the mains three of us had steaks that were cooked to perfection and served with tasty sauces. At this point we were comfortably full, but if the desserts were going to be as good as the rest of the meal then we couldn't resist the temptation, and we were not disappointed, even the coffee smooth and aromatic.
I have eaten in restaurants all over the world and The Plough for atmosphere, freindly service and exceptionally good food is right up there.
Thank you to all the staff who made our night a great relaxing night.
See you again soon.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank DoctorB999
Reviewed January 22, 2011

Visited the plough as a party of four, i was impressed with the conversion however the food left a lot to be desired. Firstly starters, they dont do them. They do however have little plates designed to pick, mix and share. Great idea but how do you share 2 items between four? We ordered four plates, cannot quite remember what but i know that 2 of the items, think they may have been some form of kebab came with only 2 pieces which involved cutting up, ok if you know your fellow guests but ours were casual freinds.. If they advertise food to share make sure they provide enough to share or at least inform you that this wouldnt be the case. This lack of food was a theme, it has been mentioned in other posts about meagre portions, well i agree. i can sum the plough up with one phrase...Jenga Chips! unfortunately, the amount of chips provided only build a Jenga tower 2 storeys high and the only thing in danger of collapsing was my credit card balance.

Overall, this place will bring in passing trade, sadly i cannot see it attracting returning customers. In an area served by a surfeit of overpriced gastro pubs the plough is sadly the worst. I paid £160 for 4, i could have driven 5 miles up the road to Hipping Hall, paid £180 but had food that was creative, tasty and value for money.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank LancasterMgh
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Having been a regular at the sister pub, the Punchbowl which we have always enjoyed we visited the Plough recently which is nearer to our home.

Firstly the good parts, as they have done a wonderful job of the building.

Now to the bad. Firstly the prices are very high even for a gastro pub. Order chops and get a single one for £11 on the lunch menu. Add a tiny plate of veg for £3 more then to the chips. I think they were £2.50 per chip or at least it felt like that. When they came there were just a tiny portion (perhaps a potato divided by our whole party of eight) and we immediately had to order more.

Our meal (which on the whole tasted nice) came to a shade under £200 for four adults and four kids at lunch time and with no deserts! Absolutely shocking value and we would have been regular customers had they been fair.

What's wrong with given a decent portion of chips or veg with your overpriced chop. It really wouldn't cost that much. Shocking!

I will go back if I find out that the portion size has been addressed but not until and I am not alone as many friends have said the same.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank BigFozMorecambe_UK
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Dined here with the family for the second time just recently.
After looking forward to the return visit for some time we were eager for a repeat performance.
After being welcomed and seated by attentive staff we chose 7 small plates 2 main meals and 2 kids meals.
The small plate concept is brilliant.
A hit with all the family.
For the main course I opted for special of pork which were delicious even though the potion was more in level with a starter.
My wife selected the bacon chops which turned out to be singular rather than plural and very nice.
The kids enjoyed their meals very much.
The fish and chips a particular hit with the boy.
On the whole superb food and service.
I feel a desert is a must however if you need to fully content on the full belly front.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family