All reviews ross on wye night break both nights mixed grill fabulous views curry brecon beacons lovely hotel lovely food prunes murder mystery varied menu beautiful countryside relaxing stay short break excellent value for money valley view room
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Room and dining were problematic. I am a single lady who checked on security when I booked to ensure I was not in a room on the ground floor. I was given a room on the first floor which, while dated, was comfortable and clean. The problem was that my room was not secure. I found out to my shock that the door key to the neighbouring room fit my door. There was no way to secure this door overnight because the lock is only on one side of the door. The other door in my room did not lock at all and crossed the fire exit corridor, with fire escape and this was also the only way to get to my ensuite bathroom. There was no lock on the ensuite door either. A most uncomfortable two nights as did not feel secure. There was also a piece of string holding the window closed (which failed to do so) and no hot water one morning.
On both mornings I was asked to sit at a different table away from the group I was travelling with. Not only was this embarrassing, but I was travelling with a wedding party so it impacted a number of people. I was paying full price for my room, so I expect full consideration and this meant being permitted to sit at a table on my own and dine beside my friends.
I would add that the hotel itself is friendly, clean and comfortable - just not suitable for singles. The decor needs an update but the food was very good.

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Mason11
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I feel a little sad about writing this review, but if I am looking for a place to stay then I appreciate an honest account, so here is one for potential visitors. I attach photos too.
Our room was tired and dated and in need of urgent redecoration, even though we had paid for an upgrade and booked months in advance.
We were using a 'Buy a Gift' voucher but the room was nowhere near as good as others we have stayed in using these vouchers at other hotels. Not only that but we were told we needed to upgrade if we wanted a twin room and also we had to pay for our breakfast each morning (we were warned in advance). In all we paid £50 extra for 2 nights, on top of the voucher for the stay. This was not the value we have had elsewhere and we were disappointed. If the hotel had been better we would not have minded.
The view from the room was beautiful and this is the selling point for this hotel. I would say it's more of a 'guest house'. The staff seemed friendly but sadly, even on checkout never once asked us how our visit was or whether we slept etc. They did however leave us a survey to complete in the room.
Talking of sleep, I am afraid we could only sleep when our neighbours in the next room decided to. They woke at 6am each morning and so we had to as well. We could hear their voices very loud and clear and when they had the TV on we could not hear our own. In fact we ended up watching the same channel as that was all we could do.
I felt there is penny pinching going on and get the impression the hotel must be struggling financially, hence I do feel bad writing this review. Having been a Marketing Manager in a past life, I would humbly suggest that maybe the Pilgrim should start marketing towards the over 65's only, give the place a lick of paint, put matching headboards in, change the plastic curtain rails and cater for the retired and do it well. Maybe even put in a little putting green on the grass out the back. The breakfast and decor definitely seemed geared to an older generation (and I am 50 this year so not so young). Quaint is good but maintenance is needed.
A great setting, in a beautiful part of the country but I'm afraid the standard of the rooms was not acceptable. :-(

Room Tip: Room 12 was not good :-( Not sure it's worth upgrading for a view as nearly all the rooms actually face the rear anyway.
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nikki G
Reviewed August 27, 2018

We stayed for three nights in a Valley View room worth paying a little extra for this. Staff were very pleasant and food of a high standard. Hotel well situated for visiting the area including Wales. Only comment to make was at one dinner we had to wait a long time and the same one breakfast. It would have been good if a member of staff could just apologise for the delay instead of leaving you for over 15 mins. Apart from that would certainly visit again.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here whilst attending a family wedding at a nearby location. We didn’t spend much time in the hotel but we were welcomed by a very happy and friendly receptionist and we encountered her exceptional customer service throughout our stay. We returned to the hotel slightly worse for wear and were welcomed by the polite young lady who asked us if we wanted anything to eat, we half heartedly requested cheese and chips but she didn’t flinch and got the chef to whip some up for us which was superb!

Our room was clean and quite big, the shower didn’t have much power but it was acceptable for just one nights stay. The breakfast was nice, we were greeted by the young lady once again who would do anything to help us. She is a real credit to your establishment; she provided us with such excellent customer service she deserves an award as it’s not often exemplorary service is found these days. Thank you for making our stay enjoyable

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Toriatea
Reviewed August 19, 2018

Just got back from a weekend away with my wife and had a great stay at this hotel very clean friendly staff and a perfect breakfast only downside of the stay was getting woken up at 6.30 both mornings by noisy guests having the tv too loud apart from that everything was fine would definitely stay again

Room Tip: Most rooms have great views
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple