“Worth a try”

The Merchant Bar and Kitchen
Ranked #8 of 45 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Bar, European, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Adjacent to Westfield Shopping Mall, Albany
Napier, New Zealand
“Worth a try”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

From an 'out of towners' perspective I never knew what lay on the far side of the Albany Mall, but I'm really pleased I found it. Surrounded by other similar styled bars, The Merchant Bar and Kitchen offered a good deal on steaks that night and I was pleasantly surprised. Good price, good food. The only hassle was finding waiting staff to provide salt and pepper so the meal was a little bland....maybe next time I'll take my own wee bag of condiments with me...or try and look younger and more interesting to tempt the staff away from other tables. But to be fair, after the meal, and the evening was cooling down for those of us sitting outside, the provided a heater which was very kind. I'll be back.

Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Good value and good sized meals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Visted this place whilst out shopping. Just fancied a bite to eat and we were not disappointed. We had a burger which when it arrived was 6" tall and even squashed down was 3" and an excellent meal too. We ordered extra chips but didn't really need them to be fair. We also had a bowl of nacho's and wedges - again an excellent portion and no need for any sweet - we could not fit it in anyway! the surroundings were pleasant even though attached to a shopping centre it is out of the way of the crowds and thus a little more pricey. What was good is that we were not abused by screaming kids even though we ate outside.

Overall, good value for money, pleasant staff,very good portions and would definitely go back. We did not need any food on the evening - we were still stuffed from the lunch (which we had at 1pm!!).

PS Went back the following week, Ceasar salad and chicken was more than enough although I had the prawns and squid in chilli which although nice was a bit bland and not as good value at the previous weeks burger or nacho's.

• Visited May 2012