“In need of tlc”
Review of Mains Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thornhill
Mains Farm
Motherwell, United Kingdom
“In need of tlc”
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night with partner , site is a little bit dull lacks life , we where put in wigwam 9 , no curtain on door for privacy had to put towel over door , fridge rusty along bottom , heater all scored and chipped , floor of wigwam in need of varnishing , camp kitchen no tea towels , or scissors , only 3 men's toilets for whole camp no urinals , only stayed for one night don't know how anyone could survive a week , suppose staying at gorsebank wigwams made these seem poor , its like night and day between the two , wouldn't stay here again , its little touches like electric and free showers that make the diffrence , also a microwave in each wigwam would be good and a couple of. cleaning cloths and spray to tidy before you leave .

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank paulgeddes

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was at mains farm wigwams for a 4 night stay and i could not have asked for more!! the wigwams are great fun especially for kids my son loved it aswell as the play park across the road ( i found the road to be very quiet). The site is set in a great location there is plenty to be done that is only a short journey in the car or bus. I found that shower and toilet blocks to be spotless clean and could not fault them.The staff are very friendly and great with the kids. I would definately recommend mains farm wigwams for family holidays and dont forget your marshmallows for roasting on the fire!!

13 Thank Catherine H
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Wow!! My first experience staying in wigwam and I wasn't left feeling disappointed. I decided to book up a 2 night stay with my partner and my little girl. My partner not being a keen fan of camping abs loved it. The wigwam was amazing very cosy and warm. It had a kettle, heater and fridge. Although there was three of us sharing it could have easily have fitted another 2 people. The facilties on the site showers and outside toilet/sink with drinking water was very clean and spotless. It also has a shared kitchen with cookers and microwave, cowboy themed dining area, again very clean. The staff very helpful and friendly. If you do decide to go here you must set up a campfire and have some toasted mashmallows. I wish I had stayed a little longer so I could have had a BBQ in the sunshine. I would highly recommend this little gem of a place to family and friends. Can't wait to go back :-)

6 Thank cazzadodds
Clydebank, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

my fiancee and myself booked two nights glamping here and we had a blast. we have been glamping in a few places and have found this the best
If you have never beenglamping/camping there is no point in you doing a review.

We found the wardens very freindly. The site had everything we wanted and more. The village was very peaceful, so if you like benidorm...this aint for you.

Theres two pubs in the village, both of them play off each other saying there pubs the best but to be honest both are the same. good prices for food and drinks. Frendly management, staff and customers.

The weather wasnt the best but that didnt spoil anything.

We will be back

Room Tip: Stirling is worth a visit
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank john h
falmouth
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The campsite is ideally situated on the edge of Thornhill Village which makes it easy walking distance to shops/pub, etc. The Lion & Unicorn pub is very welcoming with good food. At the end of June we were the only campers using the field which was a bonus (probably because of the foul weather). The facilities on the field amounted to toilets and wash hand basins with warm water. There are no electric points. For showers you had to walk up the lane into the main farm where the Wigwams were situated. This is not really ideal, though the showers were good (20p for around 5mins), still no electric points. We telephoned about 20mins prior to arriving and went straight to the reception area but there was no-one around. Waited for a while before phoning the number again. Ended up putting the tent up at our own discretion.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grizzy121
Ayrshire,Scotland
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We had a lovely 2 night stay at the wigwams. The staff were all lovely and pleasant, the facilities were all clean and met all our needs perfectly, the wigwams were excellent and the kids loved them. The location was perfect, sitting on the village outskirts with pub/restaurant, shop and great play park all on the doorstep. Ideally located for Blair Drummond Safari Park, Briarlands Farm Park, and all the Stirling attractions. Value for money is excellent for the experience alone. We would definitely recommend Mains Farm Wigwams!

Room Tip: Make sure and buy one of the wood packs for the fire pit as it adds to the experience!
3 Thank Jennifer R
East Kilbride
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My partner & I had booked in for 1 night as we were booked in for a Segway session at a farm close by. The weather was horrendous and as a result our session was cancelled as the track was flooded. I emailed mains farm and asked if i could cancel our booking as there wasnt much reason for us to come through anymore but it went ignored so we decided to just go along anyway.

Not much to do in that type of weather so we walked to the local pub The Lion & The Unicorn and had some dinner & drinks which was nice.

The Wigwam itself was nice & cost, and dry! I didnt realise it came equipped with a fridge so that was a nice surprise. We found the toilets to be fine but did not use the shower areas (we went home for that).

I would return but would hope for better weather!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornhill
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
Wellsfield Farm Holiday Lodges
The Braes B&B
The Braes B&B
#2 of 3 in Thornhill

Been to Mains Farm? Share your experiences!