“Very nice but a bit disappointed”

Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Central Saanich
Philadelphia, PA
“Very nice but a bit disappointed”
Reviewed July 6, 2006

The Brentwood Bay Resort's strength is its rooms which are very nice. The decoration is modern, upscale and trendy. The jetted tub opens into the main room which is very nice. The lobby area is also very nice. Disappointments: 1) The location from the website appears to be away from the hub bub, but it is actually set on a rather average downtown street with all of the balconys looking out onto this more than onto the bay. Right in front is a multiuse marina that is also rather blah. 2) The restaurant was closed and we were planning a special anniversary celebration meal, so ended up eating in the pub area. The food was good, but average and people were in sneakers and jeans which took away from the ambience. For the price, we expected more upscale in general and so were disappointed. There is also a mismatch from the ambience as presented on the website versus what it looks like. If the website had been more realistic, we probably still would have gone but would have had more realistic expectations.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank ShutterGo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Reviewed June 21, 2006

I would like to take the time to say how much I enjoyed my experience at your spa today. Christine was the young lady who did my nails and my feet, and what a beautiful job she did. Her personality was suited for the relaxing atmosphere. She made my day. I will be back and I have already told several people about the Brentwood Spa. Thanks again. Marilyn F.

Stayed June 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2006

my hubby took me to brentwood bay lodge for our one year wedding anniversary. this place is breathtaking. the landscape, the decor, the service, all were exceptional. the whole experience was so luxurious. we felt very pampered, and now that we're home, we want to decorate our home just like the hotel!! the rooms were so sexy! not snobby at all. the food in the arbutus restaurant was eye candy to look at, and tasted even better. breakfast in the cafe was the best we had ever had. i recommend the hazelnut crusted french toast with cinnimon marscapone cheese. oh my goodness. luxuriously delicious. even the breakfast sausage was well above average! take the water shuttle to the buchart gardens; a great, peaceful, and scenic way to get there!! try to go in the morning to the gardens; it gets VERY crowded in the afternoon!! we got the couples massage in the spa, and we were in heaven!!! afterwards, they served us wine and truffles. we also took the celebration cruise offered by the hotel. a 2 hour cruise with cheese and wine. we saw harbor seals, eagles, and the captiain took us to remote tranquil areas where there was not another singel soul. we couldn't have asked for more. definitly the best, most wonderful and relaxing trip, and worth every penny!! **OH, and when you're in the room, remember to place the "privacy please" door hanger on the door. the staff comes by very often to offer water/tea, turn down servie, etc. once time, a service woman just came right on in (around 8:00pm) and almost saw my hubby's booty!!

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Victoria BC
Reviewed May 22, 2006

We had a family gathering here for Mother's Day. After settling into a table in the pub, we were told that we would have to leave because our 8 year old granddaughter was with us. We understood and the staff were very polite. They told us we could go to the cafe.
After dragging chairs around ourselves and borrowing them from the other patio table, we sat down. It took about 15 minutes before we even saw a waitress. Another 10 for coffee. Finally got menus. Over 20 minutes for a second coffee and even then we had to go inside and ask for it. Took about 50 minutes for food to arrive. Another 5 for cutlery.To say the food was mediocre is a complement.
I sent an email to the hotel describing the service and to date have had no response. So thought I would write something here so at least I know my comments will be noted and hopefully improvements will be made. Will say the premises are gorgeous.

Stayed May 2006
7 Thank mario7769
redwood city california
Reviewed April 6, 2006

This was a wonderful hotel. The staff was as friendly, helpful and hospitable as they could be. This was my favorite hotel room I have ever stayed in. I loved the decor, how the jacuzzi tub opened to the bedroom with a row of candles, the slight Oriental feel of the room was relaxing. It was peaceful sitting on the balcony overlooking the bay and swimming pool. I wish it was closer to home so I could go there again and again. They did everything right. Jeani Redwood City, CA

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank Jeanij
Reviewed November 21, 2005

My wife and I who live in Victoria, BC decided to get away for the day by pampering us at the Brentwood Bay Lodge located only 20 minutes from our house. We have a small child and have a difficult time being together as a couple. We decided to reinvigorate ourselves and reconnect by spending a night at Brentwood Bay Lodge [--]. What an amazing place-the architecture is excellent-West Coast modern-classy yet not ostentatious. The lobby and restaurant are very inviting. The rooms are something else. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite and it was worth every penny. We had our own private hot tub on the porch with views to the Marina. The bathroom was beautiful with a 2-person jetted tub and was open to the bedroom instead of those ugly walls normally found in hotels which separate the bedroom from the bathroom.

We ate dinner in the Arbutus Room which has exceptional food and one of the best collections of wine in British Columbia. We were lucky enough to be served by the sommelier from the Czech Republic. My wife ordered a seafood dish and I had a vegetarian lasana which was very flavorful.

My wife and I give the 5 star Brentwood Bay a glowing recommendation to locals or tourists looking for a romantic getaway close to Victoria, Butchart Gardens and the airport but in a rustic setting on a Marina with a host of offerings from restaurant to kayaking and scuba diving.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 10, 2005

I just returned from Brentwood Bay, Vancouver Island. There was nothing missing from this experience. This hotel was so fabulous, I didn't want to leave and that is saying alot coming from Costa Rica where I have been living for the last 14 years. Viewing the marina from my hot tub on my terrace, and the fire place burning on the other side of the window......I could have stayed for months. In fact, I was ready to ask for a monthly seasonal rate! The suite, spa, restaurant (incredible food), the wine selection - made for a king! JUST DO IT!!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 49 in Victoria
The Fairmont Empress
#19 of 49 in Victoria

Been to Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!