“Romantic Getaway”

Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Central Saanich
Vancouver
Reviewed February 6, 2005

My husband and I just enjoyed a wonderful weekend at Brentwood Bay Lodge, celebrating our 10th anniversary. The resort had been recommended to us from friends who live on the island as Victoria's best new resort - and they couldn't have been more correct. I don't know who sent in the last two comments - disgruntled emplyees that had been fired by the new GM ???( these reviews can be written by anyone...) their comments sounded somewhat bitter to me.... But there is nothing bitter about this resort.. from the fabulous views from our luxury room, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, and the most amazing bathrooms to our romantic dinner in the Grill. The service was upbeat, the room was lively (not noisy.. ?? ) the staff were friendly and the food was exceptional. I also enjoyed a special spa package as my anniversary gift - it was incredible. The tranquil setting made all of my worries melt away - and thanks Marie for the best massage I've ever had!
Definitely a resort to experience! We're thinking this will be our annual anniversary getaway!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa

Victoria
Reviewed January 17, 2005

I can't quite figure out why Brentwood Bay would put their fine dining room in the lobby it should have gone where the pub is. Last time I was there I could barely hear my campanion speaking to me. I guess that's why they only have AAA 3 diamond rating....

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 5, 2005

I was told that this small resort was completed in late May of 2004. I would have thought that it was finished just yesterday because the resort, its rooms and the surrounding area is just immaculate.

The service is incredible. I don't think I've experienced better customer service anywhere else - and service matters so much for most of us.

The rooms are fantastic. Clean, modern, comfortable and spacious. Simple as that. While the first floor may bring about the odd upstairs noise, the patio's direct access to a well-manicured walkway that leads to the pool and hot tub may convince you to make this lower level your premier choice. Any of the three levels well provide you with waterfront views.

If there is anything about the Brentwood Bay Lodge one may list as a drawback, it would likely be its location. Although it's right on the water, if you're looking for a spot nestled in nature or a resort near a boardwalk of boutique shops and restaurants, this place certainly falls short. In fact, the Brentwood Bay Lodge is set amongst rows of residential homes.

Even with the less than idyllic outdoor setting, I'm certain the rooms and resort amenities will keep guests pleased. It's definitely a five and absolutely a worthwhile escape.

• Stayed: January 2005
13  Thank GlobalEyes
Reviewed December 21, 2004

I can admit this is a luxury hotel. Their services at times are questionable, but they are fast to correct them, if you are willing to take the time to notify them...
My husband and I stayed in the one bedroom suite for two nights durring our honeymoon to British Columbia. We heard about the hotel from a friend that worked in the Arbutus Grill kitchen when it first opened.
The setting was absolutely wonderful. We originally booked the deluxe oceanview and upgrade to the fall getaway package in the one bedroom when a buy one get one free special was being ran. Excellence decision, and a lucky opportunity, since we ended up saving money.
I do think that for the location and services provided, the hotel is over-priced. Since our stay I have noticed the price has adjusted to a more appropriate rate.
We enjoyed having breakfast in our room, but also did not like having to choose a random savory or sweet breakfast. I like options. For our second morning we made a special request for eggs benedict, and they were pleased to present us with our request promptly the next morning.
It was odd also to have a private jazuzzi on the patio where anyone could walk by at any time (this is a lower level problem only, I would try to get a room on 2nd or 3rd floor.) There was not a lot of privacy on the floor level.
The view was beautiful even on a cool foggy morning. And the ferry dock outside was never a disturbance.
The spa experience had me ready to cry, when I attempted to book a manicure and pedicure before our arrival. A woman in the spa assured me that getting both treatments on a Monday would not be a problem, I would only need to call them the night we checked in to have it arranged. Unfortunately, since my attempt to book with the spa, a local special was running for 40% off spa treatments. Such a ridiculous special that they were over booked and I could only have a manicure or pedicure, but not both....so disappointing. Durring the pedicure I did receive, I could hear people talking in the gallery next door and the shower running in another room...not the spa treatment I am used to.
The pub food was excellent, and they delivered to our room at no extra charge. They also have a liquor store on site with plenty of wine and spirits that you can purchase at a lower price than the minibar fridge in-suite.
The bed, jetted tub with a view, and the heated floor are what really make the room the best. After staying at Brentwood and going to a different hotel in Vancouver, my husband and I realized how comfortable the bed actually is.
Overall, the small problems we had with the room were immediately resolved by the manager personally who showed a young couple that their opinion matter. We could not have asked for anything more!

• Stayed: November 2004
12  Thank ChateauCC
Reviewed November 8, 2004

I am concerned that some of the poor reviews here have stayed at somewhere other than the Brentwood Bay. Recommended by a friend we did not know what to expect. Wow is all that comes to mind. The rooms are magnificent, the staff are warm, friendly and service focused. The food in the restaurant, the entertainment in the pub all overwhelmed us. Perfect for a romantic getaway or an exec retreat - I am just starting to plan one - I rank it 10 out of 10. Only complaint was I wanted a larger Martini to savor as we watched the world go by from the restaurant.
Can't wait to return. I would reommend for anyone.

10  Thank GMatthehotel
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed November 1, 2004

My husband and I stayed in one of the Ocean Suites for one night of our honeymoon. Thank God it was only one night.

First of all the only thing "Logde-like" about the property is that it looks like an EconoLodge. All rooms open to the frigid outdoors, like you're at a motel. The Ocean "Suites" are really TINY rooms with a chair (I guess that is the "suite" part). The "asian/modern" theme was way too overdone. We felt like we were sleeping at IKEA. The view we were promised was practically non-existent and the hotel is right in front of the ugly ferry dock anyway.

The worst part was the food. We (unfortunately) got the "getaway package." We were greeted with flat champagne, a hotel dinner menu where (no joke) five out of the six entree choices were beef. You aren't allowed to choose what you want for breakfast, so we were greeted with a nasty cold egg concoction and a flat cold crepe covered in Smuckers-quality jam. I almost started crying. When we called to ask for something else, we were treated like rednecks who just don't know "luxury" food.

We have stay in some beautiful luxury hotels in the US and Canada and this hardly qualifies as one. Bad food, a snotty staff, tiny rooms, and an inconvenient location made for a horrible experience.

The only good thing was the hour massage during which I tried to forget about how much money we had wasted there...

• Stayed: January 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed October 18, 2004

We went to the Brentwood Bay Lodge looking for a few days of relaxation and beautiful scenery. We got much more than we expected. The lodge is beautiful, the rooms are quiet, attractive, and have a stunning view of the water and marina. (I have to wonder if earlier bad review indicating the view is of the parking lot is real...NONE of the rooms face the parking lot...they all face the water) My wife had a couple of treatments in the Spa and was very happy with the service. The food is amazing, and equally rivaled the best restaurants in Seattle. As delighted as we were with the resort, the real unexpected treat was the staff. They have put together a group of people that are incredible and made our stay second to none. Chef Alain has the kitchen humming (I HIGHLY recommend his pumpkin cheese cake) Lindsay made every meal a fun experience, every conversation with Brian the sommelier was more fun than the last, and Leanne the PR Director..well, she's just amazing and represents Brentwood Bay extremely well. My wife and I have been lucky enough to stay in some wonderful hotels, both in the US and in Europe. We agreed that none could rival the stay we had at Brentwood Bay. It is not a large, buzzing resort. It is a beautifully put together, and incredibly staffed small resort in a quiet location. If you want to relax..this is the place to go. We are looking forward to a return trip, and having a couple of No.3 martinis while staring out at the marina... sigh..
We took a couple of pics of the view from our deck, the room, etc. Feel free to email me if you would like me to share. This is a GREAT place! tlottis@hotmail.com

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Fairmont Empress
#21 of 49 in Victoria
Hotel Grand Pacific
#14 of 49 in Victoria

Been to Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!