“Poor After Care Service--New Year's Eve Stay”

Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Central Saanich
Victoria, BC
“Poor After Care Service--New Year's Eve Stay”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I booked a New Year's Eve at this resort. I stayed at this place once before and had a good experience. However, my experience this time was poor. Bottom of the barrel.

Upon checking in, I asked about the pub and restaurant hours for meal times. I was informed due to the New Year's Eve celebration both facilities have limited access. So my partner and I decided to eat elsewhere.

Around 11 pm, I started to hear the thumping base of club music emanating into my room. At first I thought it was a party going at a house nearby. It was not the neighborhood but the resort pub.

As midnight approach the base sounds from music got worse. I call the front desk and ask how long this thumping music was going to go on. The clerk reply that she was not sure. And that she would see if the manager can turn down the base of the music. The base music selection did not change for another half an hour. My partner and I could not sleep.

First off, I was not warn there would be loud thumping club music at check in and the approximate times it was to be on.

Second upon check out I brought up to the desk front staff of the unpleasant experience I had due to the loud music and trying to sleep, their response was tepid. No amends was made to make up for the poor experience I had. It was just a simple "We are sorry."

Sorry? If you market yourself as a top resort and you do not try to make amends, that is simply not good enough. Other places I stayed at where I had poor experiences, the staff always tried to make amends.

I would not had stayed here if I knew in advance there would be loud thumping club music being played into the wee hours. But most importantly I was not warn in advance at check in, and I was not presented an opportunity to be moved to a room further away to minimize the club music noise coming into my room.

No serious attempt was made to make amends; especially for a resort and spa that markets itself as 4 stars.

Poor experience.

5 Thank josephvictoria
Natasha R, General Manager at Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback Josephvictoria. I am so sorry to hear that our New Years events impacted your stay so negatively. The event in the pub does get loud and go past midnight. I do admit that the base was particularly loud this year and we are evaluating who we will invite to entertain our guests in the pub next year. Our Guest Service Agents are usually exceptional at letting guests know when there could be a potential impact on our guests due to an event at the resort, so I am very sorry to hear that we did not provide you with this information at check-in. Please accept my apologies for us not ensuring you were satisfied when you left our Resort. I do hope you will give us another opportunity. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to visit us again.

Natasha Richardson, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Brentwood Bay, the rooms were very nice and quiet. The seagrille restaurant and the bar was exceptional! We also recommend the room service which was wonderful! We very much enjoyed the food and the service was exceptional!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor are bigger and rooms on the south side have a full view of the Bay!
1 Thank m s
m s, we are so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I have to agree, room service is a wonderful way to go at Brentwood Bay. Nothing beats breakfast in bed with that stunning view!

We hope you join us again very soon!

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I were coming from out of town to celebrate Christmas with my family. We decided to stay at a hotel to give ourselves a break from all the holiday excitement. We originally booked our hotel for 3 nights, but after the first day, we asked if we could stay for another 3, so we wound up staying for 6 nights.

We couldn't possibly have chosen a better hotel. The front-desk staff at check-in were extremely friendly; we were walked to our room and explained the amenities that the hotel offered. The beds were very comfortable, and the hotel was very quiet (we were on the 3rd floor). The views were unreal. We enjoyed a glass of wine overlooking the Ocean with the gas fireplace on every single night we were there.

I treated myself to the spa, which was really great. The massage was the best I've ever had (and it should be...it was also the most expensive!). But the service was excellent, and I enjoyed a cup of tea in the lounger afterwards.

The Seagrille restaurant is amazing. We dined at both the restaurant and the pub. The portion sizes at the pub were very generous, and the wait staff were all fantastic. The restaurant had a good sized menu with lots of fresh seafood. We enjoyed some of the very best Sushi we've ever had (Sean is a genius!).

All in all, we stayed for 6 nights, and I won't ever stay anywhere else when I am visiting Victoria. The experience from the rooms, the staff, and dining - were all 10/10. I highly recommend this hotel/resort for a peaceful, beautiful getaway.

Thank you to all the staff at the Brentwood Bay Resort for making our stay so great.

2 Thank christina_liane
I am thrilled to ready about your wonderful experience with us over Christmas christina_liane! From myself and the team, especially our wonderful Sushi Chef, Sean, you are so welcome. We look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future we hope!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We came for a christmas getaway to be close to friends and get out of Vancouver. the rooms are very comfortable and the view is outstanding. We dining room and pub dining experiences were two thumbs up. The spa also great. the outdoor pool is heated to a perfect 82 degrees and this was the best start of our days. We had a private hot tub - which was an absolute treat. The service also exceptional. We would definitely recommend this spot and will come back again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MgrBrentwoodBay, GSA at Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you so very much for choosing the Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa for your Christmas getaway! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay, the spectacular views, and all the amenities we have to offer. It was our pleasure to serve you and we hope to see you again very soon!
Victoria B.C.
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Mrs. Coopershawk and I went to The Seagrille Seafood & Sushi restaurant in the Brentwood Bay Resort for an excellent Christmas Dinner last night! The meal was delicious, the service was superb and the setting was spectacular! You could order from the regular menu or have a fixed three course dinner. We both chose the Christmas Dinner...soup or salad, turkey and dessert...all excellent! We'll be back next year!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for joining us for Christmas Dinner Mr. and Mrs. Coopershawk! We were delighted to have you, and we are so glad you enjoyed our traditional Christmas Turkey! It has become a favourite tradition here in Brentwood Bay. See you next year!
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed at this resort on our honeymoon, over 8 years ago. It was a dream! The room was beautiful, simple, and sophisticated. The view of the bay was wonderful as well. The complimentary breakfast was like none other. The menu options are limited, but we were there long enough to try everything, and it was all amazing. We would love to return someday. I highly recommend this one-of-a-kind resort.

Room Tip: Definitely reserve a 2nd or 3rd floor room to take advantage of the view of the bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sekaiser
We are delighted that you have such fond memories of your Honeymoon stay! We hope that you can return soon to see some of the exciting changes in the resort since then. All the best to you in Arkansas!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I love this place! I've been meaning to do this review for months but have only got around to it now. We've been to the Bay hotel twice, once 6 years ago and then again this year. My wife and I live in London, UK and visited Vancouver Island and the Bay hotel for the first time 6 years ago and loved it. Then fast forward 6 years later, we were in the Seattle area for a family wedding which coincided with my birthday. To mark the occasion we looked for a decent hotel preferably near water, with a spa in the PNW region. Everywhere we looked either in the Seattle area, Oregon or Vancouver didn't quite look like what we were looking for i.e. everything in those areas seems so dated unless you stay in glitzy city hotels, then you miss the ambience.
I suggested going back to the Bay hotel but my wife thought that after 6 years we'd go back and it wouldn't be as we had remembered it. How wrong we were. When we arrived back I was glad to see that the hotel had totally been cared for and looked as new and refurbished as it ever has done. It has exactly what I look for in a hotel: modern, clean, fresh, beautiful views. We flew by float plane from Seattle into Victoria - what an experience! Just to be sure we looked at the top hotels in Victoria and decided we had definitely made the right choice in the Bay hotel. We immediately settled in, used the excellent spa and the adjoining pub a few times.
The food can be pricey but it excellent, and if you want cheaper options go to the pub next door or there are plenty of other local options, either on foot or by car.
As for the area we had plenty of lovely walks along the water and around the neighbourhood. A previous viewer mentioned a trailer park nearby. I must admit I didn't remember this from 6 years ago so specifically went searching it out and couldn't find it. To me this is a beautiful neighbourhood, so much so a elderly couple saw us wandering the neighbourhood and invited us into their house to hear their stories and look through their photos. It was fascinating and trusting and about as far away from my London experience as you could possibly get.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pricimus2013
Thank you so much for returning to our resort & spa! We are so happy it was as good as the first time you came. We are very proud of our little paradise. We look forward to your next visit to Brentwood Bay! All the best!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Central Saanich
Magnolia Hotel And Spa
#2 of 52 in Victoria
The Fairmont Empress
#19 of 52 in Victoria

Been to Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!