“Excellent food and service! Well done!”
Review of Cafe Zanzibar

Cafe Zanzibar
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Saanichton
“Excellent food and service! Well done!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was a Christmas luncheon for our CFUW charitable group. The food and service were great. We wanted a resonable price, as we like our money to go to the scholarships and bursaries for which we fundraise. Toni worked with us to provide appealing prices, while not compromising service and quality.

Kamloops, Canada
“What a Find!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Driving around the Brentwood Bay (Victoria) area, we decided to grab some lunch. We stopped and asked some locals where to go and the unanimous answer was "The Zanzibar", so we took their advice. It's kind of a funky looking place from the outside, and surprisingly, it continued the them inside...nothing fancy, but clean and inviting. You don't often find North African cuisine, especially in a small town so we gave it a try. I had the Sahbi Lamb burger...a spiced lamb patty with apricot relish and Minted Mayo....absolutely excellent and a great choice for any lamb lover. Prices were not cheap, yet reasonable for a specialty restaurant such as this. After looking at the dinner menu, we decided to return for dinner.. It was a Tuesday and when we phoned, they were completely booked for the evening. A great combination of interesting menu items and great tasting food apparently is working for them in this location. We'll be back.

• Visited March 2013
Victoria, Canada
“Great atmosphere, decent food, pricey”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I went out for dinner here with my husband and daughter. We made reservations which was good as it was quite busy when we arrived. The service from start to finish was friendly and professional but the food was extremely slow in arriving. The menu is relatively small but eclectic and original. I found lots of choice. I didn't think the prices were high when looking at the menu however I could see why the other reviewers noted this when the dishes arrived. They were extremely small portions. Usually in other restaurants, small portions are associated in my mind with superior quality. The food was quite tasty but not gourmet or exceptional - there seemed no reason to justify the prices. The wine by the glass on the other hand did seem very reasonably priced for the quality and quantity served. Lots of atmosphere but it is odd to have to go outside to access the washrooms. Overall it was good but since it is out of our way, we probably won't be rushing back for another visit.

• Visited February 2013
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Great vibe, good food, but seems to be inconsistent”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I'm glad I didn't read the more recent reviews before we went, because I was looking forward to eating here based on earlier reviews. And, overall, we were not disappointed. I would have preferred to go for breakfast or lunch, but it ended up being dinner. Luckily, we had a reservation - it was very busy. This however added to the overall atmosphere and did not seem to create too much of a problem for our server. The food was very good (Lamb Shanks and a Vegetable Stack special of the day) -- about what I'd expect for a nice "cafe". Pricey - perhaps - but, so are most places around Victoria. We'll definitely go back and I just hope that next time we don't end up on the low end of the roller coaster...

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Raw chicken for lunch”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Went to Zanzibar for a staff lunch. Ordered a chicken and bacon panini. A couple bits in I realized how could the sandwich was, and that there was blood coming from the chicken.

Never coming back - raw chicken is a deal breaker.