“Great vibe, good food, but seems to be inconsistent”
Review of Cafe Zanzibar

Cafe Zanzibar
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Great vibe, good food, but seems to be inconsistent”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I'm glad I didn't read the more recent reviews before we went, because I was looking forward to eating here based on earlier reviews. And, overall, we were not disappointed. I would have preferred to go for breakfast or lunch, but it ended up being dinner. Luckily, we had a reservation - it was very busy. This however added to the overall atmosphere and did not seem to create too much of a problem for our server. The food was very good (Lamb Shanks and a Vegetable Stack special of the day) -- about what I'd expect for a nice "cafe". Pricey - perhaps - but, so are most places around Victoria. We'll definitely go back and I just hope that next time we don't end up on the low end of the roller coaster...

• Visited December 2012

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Raw chicken for lunch”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Went to Zanzibar for a staff lunch. Ordered a chicken and bacon panini. A couple bits in I realized how could the sandwich was, and that there was blood coming from the chicken.

Never coming back - raw chicken is a deal breaker.

• Visited December 2012
Victoria, Canada
“good service,food ok”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Went for lunch to celebrate with a large group. Very busy at 12 noon. Waitress very attentive and efficient. Prices are quite high. I had Lentil vegetable soup and half Tandoori chicken for $11.00. It was a cup of warm soup and rather bland, but I love lentils. The Tandoori chicken was very dry & overcooked and you got about 4-5 small chunks of chicken,a few greens of salad with a tasty dressing on top,and half a pita bread with Tzatzki sauce in a dish which either had blue cheese in it or was sour. Didnt like that sauce. The coffee was good and hot. Some friends had the creme brulle for dessert which I had a taste of and it was good. The custard part is quite thick and substantial. Some of my friends dishes looked good and the portions looked adequate. Overall, its got a nice atmosphere, but I dont think because of the prices Ill frequent this place too often. Id rather go to the Prairie Inn where the food is great, prices are more reasonable and portions are HUGE!!

• Visited November 2012
“Great food and atmosphere but slow service”
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Really great food - a large party and everyone enjoyed their food and it all looked great.
Ony complaints are the unusually
Located toilets and the service was pretty slow (it was quite busy).
I would definately come here again.

North Saanich, British Columbia, Canada
“disappointing”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Cafe Zanzibar is a favorite place for us. We go there for breakfast at least once a week and really enjoy the food and the surroundings. It is a friendly neighbourhood restaurant where you get to know the staff and the other patrons. We have also been for dinner several times and found the menu and food quality to be quite impressive.

However, on a recent visit we took two guests with us and had a disappointing experience. One of the meals (beef Wellington) was cooked to well done when it was ordered as a medium rare. The server knew this when she delivered the meal, and announced that they would prepare another one but it would take 20 minutes. Rather than making the rest of us wait we kept the order. A chicken dish was also overcooked and the stuffing was hard and unpleasant. We also found that vegetables were cold. The only explanation we could find for this departure from regular good quality was that the owner was away that night rather then being in the kitchen where he normally is while dinners are being prepared. Given that the prices for meals are on the high side, we expect better quality - even when the owner is not present.

• Visited August 2012